PDA

View Full Version : Car value

leoccl86
03-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Any idea where to find the market value of your Gen 4 Celicas?

93celicaconv
03-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Value guides, like Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds, stop at 1990 in providing used car values. The only one that I know that still provides this information is NADA.com (go to the Consumer section). However, one sample value may not equate to the realistic value of a vehicle though. You may try looking at places like AutoTrader.com to see what prices people are asking for their pre-1990 Celicas.

CriScO
03-09-2010, 08:05 PM
That sucks, KBB used to do older vehicles...

I was looking at your for sale post leoccl86, and there's one thing killing the value - 300k on the odometer. Assuming no rust, great paint, and a near perfect interior, I'd say $1500 max. Realistically though I'm thinking you'll get closer to $1000.

However, I don't see listing it as $2k OBO as a huge problem. You may even get close to it, you just have to be willing to sell it to some kid as his first car. Someone like me though, will see it as buying a bill for a new suspension and motor, or as a parts car.

Mafix
03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
depends on chassis, milage, wear on the car (damage ect.)
for example, my car is worth 500 bucks on nada. i've got over 30K in it. it appraised (smart thing to do) for 8K. there really isn't any value in these unless you find someone who has a want.

leoccl86
03-10-2010, 07:49 PM
thanks guys.
NADA spot my car for about 2700.
I had high hopes when someone offered me $2600 only to find out it was a scam.

really can't bear to sell this baby.
if i sell it to some kid as his 1st car i'm afraid that he'll wreck it.
but i'm so short of time =(

gazoodle
03-23-2010, 07:43 AM
just let it go theres plenty more out there

Da MuNMaN
03-23-2010, 03:13 PM
it also depends on the trim of your car and who really like 4th gen celicas....you can put the car for sale...and tell anyone interested to make you an offer and keep price set in your mind on how much u would be willing to let go for .... for my 88 Celica Convertible...some guy offered me 3500 at a gas station last year ...but i said no...lol...it was the first week i bought the car..

UkeDude
04-18-2010, 03:01 AM
Crisco mentioned 300K on the odometer. Do folks have a feel for where 4th gen start to rally rack up the repair/resto costs? I know it a tough question - way too many variables - but when looking around, do you have a red line? What do folks do in the case of apparently broken odometers after the ten year point, or "exempt" titles? Thanks for any insights!

93celicaconv
04-18-2010, 03:25 AM
Yeap, way too many variables. If you do your own maintenance work on these, then the only limit I can think of is rust. Sometimes you just can't stop rust, if you got a Celica from the rust belt. If one is OK with rebuilding or replacing engines, transaxles, etc., then the Celica can last a very long time. If one is not OK with doing these kinds of maintenance, then your Celica probably will get you to 200,000 miles or so. Usually, at that point, something major comes along, like a headgasket replacement. It's all up to what you are capable of doing or how far you would ever go to repair one.

What I've seen in this Celica forum are people who are willing to do a lot of their own work on their Celicas, so I suspect many owners in this forum have 200,000 - 300,000 miles on their Celicas. Given the depth of experience within this forum to help others out, they can last a long time.

Good point about older vehicles with exempt mileage on titles. One never really knows for sure how many miles some of these cars have on them. But then again, if you are shopping for one, it really doesn't matter. Checking for rust is easy - stay away if they have a lot. Then just do basic inspections/tests on the other major components to see what shape they are in. If a 400,000 mile Celica (regardless of what the odometer is telling you) has a clean interior, virtually no rust, smooth shifting transmission and good clutch (for manuals), and engine runs smooth with no CEL's and no pending codes, and has good compression with no or very little fluid leaks, and most everything works, it will last you a long time.

UkeDude
04-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks! All great points. I am planning to do the great majority of my own maintenance on the Celica, as I have with my 89 Land Cruiser over the past 7 years. I'd expect to see over 250k in time; I'm a buy and hold kind of guy. Definitely appreciate the leverage that being part of a group of enthusiasts adds to the experience.

Mafix
04-19-2010, 03:20 PM
237K on mine. not that it matters at this point, lol

4thgenceli
04-19-2010, 03:31 PM
237K on mine. not that it matters at this point, lol
Yeah, but how many engines have you gone through or rebuilt? lol.

When I sold my first one, it had 175k on it. Only reason I sold it was because I was living in an apartment complex, very limited time/room to work on it, and it kept breaking down. I ended up donating it to a charity and getting a tax write off :)

I don't see myself selling Jasmine anytime soon (unless someone offers me $5g, I may take that). I've torn everything down, have no problem doing it again either.

CriScO
04-20-2010, 06:22 AM
The coupe - 231k original. Abused daily. Sometimes you get lucky.

Mafix
04-21-2010, 04:03 PM
this chassis has had 4 motors in it and all 4 motors still run.
stock motor was old so the previous owner put a jdm in it.
i drove the car to my shop and put in a jdm gte.
took that out for the built gte lump i curently have.