PDA

View Full Version : Could it be true?!

grayscale
03-09-2010, 01:26 AM
Cometic makes a copper head gasket for the 5sfe?
It says that the part number is COM-C4107. I found very little info on it if any.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/3/2/3-8-2010_8-22-53_pm.jpg

Luni
03-09-2010, 02:01 AM
It looks like a toyota head design.

Whats the point of a copper headgasket though?

MLS would suffice for 99 percent of anyone on THIS site.

grayscale
03-09-2010, 02:09 AM
Copper is much more forgiving and much better when it comes to head shaves. I personally use the metal gasket from the 98-99 Celica 5sfe.

Luni
03-09-2010, 02:12 AM
Eh?

Copper is NOT forgiving. You have to damn near mirror polish your shit to use a copper headgasket.

Are we on 2 different pages? Copper can handle some abuse, but it isnt very forgiving of the mating surfaces. They have to be damn near perfect for it to seal right.

grayscale
03-09-2010, 02:28 AM
Mmm, sorry sir but copper is quite soft in comparison, that's why it is very popular for exhaust flange gaskets. Not softer than MLS per say, but much stronger and less prone to mistakes than carbon.

Luni
03-09-2010, 03:27 AM
Hmm. Tons of threads on mr2oc about copper headgasket discussion. Pretty much word over there (really all I know), is you have to have the block and head prepped just right to get them to bite correctly (they say you have the most issues with the coolant passages initially).

They say the gasket needs to usually be "annealed" prior to install too.

Its always been my understanding copper head gaskets are for crazy performance builds, and they require special attention to detail to get right.

This is a good discussion though.