PDA

View Full Version : ST to GT swaping problem

Maciej PL
03-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Looking for more info about GT trim spec for production and salles in Europe in 1994-96 especially for British market.
I got chance to buy a donnor car but it got AT gearbox and need cofirmation of some of things like engine power for GT with AT gearbox , GT geraboxes convers. - if axles fits eachother AT to MT, wiring ST to GT etc.
My car ST is 1995 from Italy, donnor car is 1994 GT from UK.

METDeath
03-08-2010, 08:38 PM
You have a 7A-FE in your ST correct? Because the GT from the UK should be either a 5S-FE or 3S-GE (either way an "S" block) and will not work with your "A" block engine. If however, you have some magical ST that we didn't get in the states that has a 5S-FE or other "S" block engine, the the transmission from the GT will work.

Galcobar
03-08-2010, 09:32 PM
UK would be 7AFE or 3SGE.

Maciej PL
03-10-2010, 07:33 PM
ok I should start with that.

Actual car is 1995 ST with 7A-FE motor in , but in bad shape (high milage - worn internals -oil consumption , and other unhealthy things)

point is:
to swap this with 3S-GE from 1994 GT imported from UK to Poland.Next step is to replace AutoGearbox with Manual
milage 121.000 miles

problem:
GT with AT gears -
1. Engine power with AT is it different then MANUAL or the same ?
2. I'm intended to replace the gearbox with MANUAL too so problem is if axles from AT will work with MANUAL ?
3 anything more to look out like any problem with 3S-GE with that milage 121,000 miles
beside of oil change and timming belt replacment before engine sit in ST

I know about transplantation that I need to do new engine mountings and rewireing also I need transplant almost everything from under the bonet axles . hubs, brakes , fans etc.

Murgatroy
03-10-2010, 07:40 PM
In order to use the 3SGE in your car, you will have to use the S54 transmission from the GT, the automatic transmission that your 7AFE is attached to will not bolt to the 3SGE.

In short you are going to want to take EVERYTHING, transmission, crossmember, axles, engine, wiring harness, fuse boxes, ECU, pedal assembly, shifter assembly from the GT and put it in the ST.

I would also take the rear brakes while I am at it, as they are probably disc, and your ST would be drum.

Maciej PL
03-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Been a while , got computer virus problems

Let's start again becouse we went a bit wrong way.

first thing for better understanding my Celica ST is 7AFE with manual transmission - in further steps an engine and gearbox is useless so let's put it aside for now.

My problem is :
1. If I buy Celica GT 3SGE 1994 with automatic transmission and would replace only gearbox for manual, will the driveaxles from automat fit manual gearbox ?

2. Is the engine power different if engine is equiped with manual or automatic transmission.

that's it

Murgatroy
03-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I am not sure about the axles.

As for the engine power, the BHP will be the same regardless of transmission. However the manual will have less drivetrain loss, and as such, you will be putting more power to the wheels than with an automatic.

Maciej PL
03-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks for reply
So conversion seems to be still a problem , will need to buy another manual gearbox for 3GSE with transaxles and gearing linkage on top of my list.

There is more to solve : if transaxles are different what about hubs ?

Crucial thing is a year of production, and I'll need parts from period 94'-96' after '96 transaxles and hubs were slightly changed

I just hope that transaxles got different length and hubs remains the same.

I know, better buy a car from 96' or younger one for spare parts (lower milage) but then I'll get an electrical - wireing problem in order to different setup EGR etc. and a bit lower engine power according to pollution restriction.

Not many Celica cars in our country to provide spare parts everything depends on money,
trying to buy stuff for conversion sometimes is equal to buy a car left hand drive in one piece, so for now only option is right hand drive 1994 Celica GT from UK with Automatic becouse it's cheep (hope that engine on automatic is not so worn as it goes on manual) and second set of gearbox with axles,linkage and hubs maybe ?

Smaay
03-24-2010, 01:52 PM
you are going to need alot more parts to swap engines. why dont you just rebuild the engine yourself? I just finished rebuilding a 7A-FE and it runs awesome! i cranked up the timing a little and it really performs (for a 7A) but it need 91 octane gas now.

read this! http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46230

Maciej PL
03-25-2010, 08:25 AM
well done this before with my Toyota Starlet and simply
rebuilding in Poland is as expensive as buying this Celica GT from UK.
For example here rebuilding costs 800$ (without changing pistons for new if you do costs 40% more)
and for about 1100$ you can get whole car.