PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if Head gasket is bad?

AllOutRed90
04-05-2005, 04:25 AM
currently im sitting on a little bit of money, so i got some to spair. And i bought one of those haynes manuals...in it, it said that if the engine idulled abnormally high that it could be the Headgasket? so my question was, is there any way to test the head gasket...other than peeling off the old one and slapping on a new one? (money could be saved)

thanks any help will do.... :wiggle:

Hooligan
04-05-2005, 04:57 AM
-Check your oil and coolant for cross-contamination
-Run leakdown and compression tests

Punisher
04-05-2005, 06:32 AM
Look at the inside of the oil cap for white milky residue that would indiciate coolant in the oil.

Maybe you could get away with making your own carbon fiber HG?

85gtsblackman
04-05-2005, 07:09 PM
abnormall idle could be anything though

headgasket
intake gasket
tb gasket
old vac lines
vsv's messing up
exaust manifold gasket
egr
timing
ignition componets
o2 sensor

im sure i missed some things

Punisher
04-05-2005, 07:52 PM
Yea... bad spark plugs, bad ignition components in general, IAC, wiring to IAC or wiring to ECU.. Shot compression rings or oil rings.. bad gas.. fucked fuel filter.. Bad or clogged injector(s).. leaky injector o-rings..

5SFE is very sensitive to ignition components so I would touch any type of autostore OE replacement shit.. NGK or Denso products all the way.

AllOutRed90
04-05-2005, 11:26 PM
ok ill just wait until i can rebuild the engine, because i dont have a ton of cash to waste at this moment. i just thought if it was the head gasket that i could do it quickly

85gtsblackman
04-06-2005, 02:21 AM
well my 5s is still running strong with 243,000 miles on it, u sure u need a rebuild and not a tune up or hose replacement, would save u a ton of money

Mike431635
04-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Honestly I could rebuild my engine and have it running again in two days if I have all the materials with me, knowing what I know now, and including pulling and reinstalling the engine. It's not tough. And if you're just doing a HG that would take even less time. You could conceivably do it in one day but you better wake up early.

AllOutRed90
04-06-2005, 01:32 PM
ill look into it. Do you guys know any specifics on head gasket replacement? and what kind to get because there are alot of companies, and a lot of different thicknesses?

AllOutRed90
04-06-2005, 01:55 PM
also will a kit for a Toyota Celica between 1996 to 1999 with the 5SFE 2.2 Liter engine fit on my 1990????

Punisher
04-11-2005, 02:31 PM
sure

alltracman78
04-12-2005, 03:15 AM
Might not.
Some of the stuff is different. And it's a [slightly] different block.
If you're just doing a stock engine, use the stock one hg.
If you pull the head, make sure you get it resurfaced. This will ensure it's totally flat. Aluminum has a tendancy to warp a bit.

Why are you stuck on replacing your hg tho?
Just a high idle?
That alone isn't a bhg.
Check for cross contamination in your coolant/oil.
Pull the rad cap [with the engine running] and see if the coolant bubbles [not little bubbles, a big one, like when you fart under water :laugh: ].
Is the coolant pressurized when it's cold?
Hose really hard when you squeeze it?
Have you done a compression check?
Does it smoke at all? [when running]