PDA

View Full Version : Which one?

b.o.n.g.2008
03-06-2010, 04:21 AM
this one:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/1616727674.html

or this one:
http://www.terra2imports.ca/import-japan125074605697484.htm
it says it's the CS edition but then wouldn't it have the CS bumper, or am I just a dumb noob?

anyway what one looks to be the better deal?

car
03-06-2010, 04:56 AM
No you're right about the second one, it would have the CS hood too, unless it was in an accident and they didn't feel like replacing the CS stuff. Honestly, I just looked at their color, so the second one (my favorite 5th gen color) with the Oz rims is my choice (again, based on aesthetics only).

geebes
03-06-2010, 05:01 AM
I cant figure out the price of the second one. I really like it though, I like the color and the oz wheels and it has lower miles. The GT-Fours that are Carlos Sainz edition should have the badging GT-Four RC too. Look for the limited edition number, if its not there it shouldn't be a true Carlos Sainz edition.

b.o.n.g.2008
03-07-2010, 09:06 PM
the price on the second one is $7999
a good bit more than the other one

also can anyone tell if the black one is a widebody?

I really do like the widebodies :)

Murgatroy
03-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Go with the first one. The red one is neither an RC nor a widebody. That means it is not what you want and the seller doesn't know what he has.

The problems with the second one: The badging is wrong, the hood is wrong, the nosepiece is wrong, the intercooler is air to air, not water to air, it is not an RC.

I don't trust sellers that lie, honest mistake or not.

The first one is cheaper, that makes it a winner in my book.

geebes
03-08-2010, 02:21 AM
^good points...MURG HAS SPOKEN!

Grot
03-08-2010, 02:23 AM
Agreed with Murg.

Although i do like the wheels on the second one.

GTAsian
03-08-2010, 05:39 AM
The first one. Black 5th gens are just soooo hot.

b.o.n.g.2008
03-08-2010, 09:34 AM
I knew that couldn't be a CS.....

I'm looking to get a car mostly as a daily driver, it's pretty much between a GT4/Alltrac or an old WRX

how is the reliability on the 3sgte? with proper maintenance and care how long should one expect it to last?

I would think better than the EJ20 on the wrx, right?

Murgatroy
03-08-2010, 01:39 PM
The Alltrac/GT4 (ST185) is a Toyota, which means with proper maintenance and care, it will last forever, including teh 3SGTE.

Now the rub.

ST185s were a performance oriented and branded vehicle. They were bought to be beat. You have several types of owners, but the dominant ones are the guys that thought they had a turnkey racer, thus they beat the hell out of it trying to understand why it wasn't super fast, and then you have the tuners, who slapped all sorts of parts on it to make it fast.

A properly sorted ST185 will be a reliable vehicle, however, if the owners before you didn't take care of it, or properly sort it, you may have a long walk ahead of you to get it into that condition. That mythical old guy still owns his and has all the service records, he isn't ready to sell it yet.

That is not to scare you off, but understand, it is difficult to find a 20 year old car that has been beat on that won't need work.

In the end, I personally think it would be worth it.

The ST185 is not expensive to work on, or too awful difficult, and parts are plentiful, as is the knowledge base to go with them.

b.o.n.g.2008
03-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the tips murg, I understand that it's like that with any "sporty" car
I just wanted to know how reliable in general they were

still might get a WRX though, as I found a 1993 with 30,000k
it amazes me how low the k's are on some japanese imports

187flatliner
03-08-2010, 05:37 PM
thats becasue japan has very weird laws about smog......i think

Nitro_Alltrac
03-09-2010, 02:16 AM
I can say that as long as the maintenance is done, GT4/All Tracs are as reliable as other Toyotas. I've had mine for almost 4 years and have put like 40,000 miles or so on it will little problem. I drive it every day. With the exception of a bad wheel bearing, the other problems that I have had were either mine or my son's own making, not the car. The bearing was replaced by the previous owner and it might not have gone in correctly.

Like Murg said, what you have to watch for is a car that has had the piss run out of it and no maintenance. I know a lot of folks want to buy them and just run the hell out of them. When they break, due to little or no maintenance, they bitch that the car is unreliable. Any car will break if you do this. The WRX is also likely to have been beat on as well. Turbo/AWD tends to bring that out in people.

Bottom, check both cars out well. Look and see if the maintenance has been kept up. If things looks good and check out, buy the one you like the most. If the cars are decent but need a little work, decide if that is something that you want to and offer accordingly. Just make sure that you keep up with the maintenance and you'll be golden.

andy
03-09-2010, 02:54 AM
cs editions have a badge under the shifter

sodap0p
03-09-2010, 04:20 AM
Grp A/CS/RC were made only between 91-08 to 92-02, therefore that 90 GT4 is not.

I did find a gunmetal RC in Calgary, its in the ebay/craigslist finds section of the forum. $9600CAD. Would be a great DD, 60000km.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46316

EDIT*I believe the VIN would be between ST1850015000 to ST1850022000, you could check that too.*

darthripley
03-09-2010, 04:36 AM
i'd check out both cars really well like Mike said.
the WRX's tranny being made of tinfoil & glass might be close to going so just b/c it has low km's don't let that make you think it's been taken care of really well by the previous owner.

b.o.n.g.2008
03-09-2010, 05:57 AM
Thanks again for all the tips :)

Holly cow do I want that RC in calgary, beautiful
maybe.... just so damn far and a bit outta price range

geebes
03-09-2010, 02:56 PM
You should just keep your eyes open for stuff, because it seems like there are always good deals in Canada.

WRX's would also be cool, that will be the next car that I get. You should get newer than 93 though, I think thats when they first came out...prolly don't have all the problems sorted out yet. I like the 99-01 body style a great deal.