PDA

View Full Version : Alltrac Hood Scoop vs. GT-Four Hood Vent

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Part of my $500 GT-S project was the included Alltrac hood with the center scoop. It is in pretty rough shape, and will take some time and the right tools to correct. Right now it doesn't sit right, like the previous owner took it off and sat on it. It needs a lot of work, and I am thinking that the effort isn't worth it.

Seeing that a number of you guys are familiar with Seibon's line of work, would it be worth it to keep looking for a Toyota branded hood? Or just repaint the carbon fiber fitment nightmare I've heard Seibon is?

I guess on a N/A car, the hood vent doesn't make too much sense. I am moving to sunny southern California, and can't decide which hood would be more effective.

celica9303
03-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Seibon makes a shity copy of the cs hood. If you want carbon fiber cs go with vis racing. Or OEM from dealer

How does it not make sence? Its designed to pull hot air out of the engine bay. Which will allow the motor turbo or not to run cooler to a certain extent. I have a at style (scoop) on my car. But I want the cs hood eventually

GT4RC
03-04-2010, 05:39 PM
the first time you see a thick column of heat coming out a cs hood you'll understand

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-04-2010, 05:52 PM
the first time you see a thick column of heat coming out a cs hood you'll understand

Haha, I understand how it works, I just didn't really think about how much difference it would make when it is already 100 degrees outside. Does weather play a factor, being that it can now rain inside the engine bay, with you guys?

I know I dread watching the salt deposits stream over my car after some Ohio winter highway driving.

GT4RC
03-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Here's a decent example.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/dempsey__007/st185rc/march7th/P3071249Custom.jpg
(Dustin's car, not mine)

I've never had any problems in either of my RC's with rain and whatnot, but I park it for the winter as well. The hood is basically an outlet for all the air that the big open bumper lets in. When I go from a red light up to 100 on a cold day I can watch the coolant temps drop.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I suppose that means I should be on the lookout for a CS bumper as well. 1stToyota carries the brace for it, and thank goodness, the hood cowl.

There is a certain Ferrari-eque look associated with the GT-S bumper though. I also like the much bigger fog lights, which I use daily in California. They are just begging to be upgraded to H4s.

Nate84
03-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Ive got a 5SFE. and ive had the cs hood on for about 4 or 5 years now and a few things you'll run into is youre engine bay fuse box covers lettering will fad quickly and your alt and starter will look really shitty too. but i clean my bay alot so its all up to you how you take care of things.

goretro77
03-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Preventing heat soak is always a good thing, of all people I appreciate how important it is to vent heat out of your engine bay.

Mr. Babb
03-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Seibon makes a shity copy of the cs hood. If you want carbon fiber cs go with vis racing. Or OEM from dealer

^ what he said

METDeath
03-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Yeah, there's a thread over on AT.net about seibon vs stock, and the VIS is a 99% correct stock copy (can't put hood trim on it).

Mr. Babb
03-06-2010, 06:21 PM
(can't put hood trim on it).
true but at least they made it the same "shape" as the hood trim

celica9303
03-06-2010, 06:46 PM
^ you got a pic of your old oneyou could post for the op?

Mr. Babb
03-06-2010, 07:55 PM
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/4/3/4/dscn0040.jpg

thats about the best I'm gonna be able to do for you, I deleted most photos of the car after selling it

Murgatroy
03-06-2010, 10:48 PM
The ViS hood seems to be a copy of the Smaay Spec hood made a few years ago. That was the very first thing I thought when I saw Mr. Babb's in person.

Mr. Babb
03-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Murg, you saw my old one, not this one :) but I did have good luck with fitment on both of them

celica9303
03-07-2010, 04:42 AM
Old one?

KM
03-07-2010, 05:09 AM
Yeah, there's a thread over on AT.net about seibon vs stock, and the VIS is a 99% correct stock copy (can't put hood trim on it).

You almost can't put a hood trim on a VIS AllTrac hood. The holes didn't even line up, I had to sand and epoxy it on.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-07-2010, 05:50 PM
You almost can't put a hood trim on a VIS AllTrac hood. The holes didn't even line up, I had to sand and epoxy it on.

I can live with that. I'll live with my AT hood for now, it does need to be reshaped a little. It did it's job yesterday on my GTS after sitting for 4 months under a tarp.

I love that. Plug the battery in, start it up, drive 300 miles.

I did contact the dealer about various JDM parts. It's great that I can buy a complete hood and bumper for about $800 discounted (all parts).

mar_phi6
03-18-2010, 01:03 AM
sorry to be rude but where can you buy an all trac hood?

Grot
03-18-2010, 01:29 AM
Craigslist if your lucky, Dealership, another member.

There is a whole list of P/Ns in i think the Forced Induction forum.

celica9303
03-19-2010, 07:07 PM
ill sell mine for the right price,,,,,,

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-19-2010, 08:13 PM
ill sell mine for the right price,,,,,,

If I can get the curvature back out of mine, I'll keep it. Otherwise someone else can deal with it. Basically I bought it for crazy cheap in the hopes I could pop it back into the right form. The last guy put weight on it and flattened it out enough that it doesn't quiet sit flush. I need to just man up and make a quick jig to pop it into place.