PDA

View Full Version : '97 vert: pros and cons?

KM
03-03-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm shopping for an automatic convertible, and I'm looking at a '97 vert with 150k for my fiance.

I've had a 5th gen GT and the current ST swap, so it's impractical to own another 5. I've shown pictures of a 6th gen vert to Becky and she likes it enough to add it to the list of possible purchases.

We're looking at around $4k, but before I go look at it, what are some things to look out for?

808joey
03-03-2010, 08:07 AM
rust around the trunk areas, cv boots, all suspension components.

if you want run a magnet in some areas to find if there was body work done.

Also check the oil for white spots (water in oil)

The Captain
03-03-2010, 08:11 AM
My folks have the same year. These are the famous "sludge motors". Apparently some change to the head was made and if you use dinosaur oil, and don't change frequently, the motor oil breaks down. Bad.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31252&highlight=purple+power
Otherwise it's been a good car. Check the PCV. Under the oil cap. Pull the valve cover if you can.

KM
03-03-2010, 07:19 PM
My folks have the same year. These are the famous "sludge motors". Apparently some change to the head was made and if you use dinosaur oil, and don't change frequently, the motor oil breaks down. Bad.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31252&highlight=purple+power
Otherwise it's been a good car. Check the PCV. Under the oil cap. Pull the valve cover if you can.

I forgot about that. The car I'm looking at is in Norcross, but in a week or 2 when I have all the money, it'd probably be gone.

bernrds
03-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Hi
About two years ago I bought a 95 convertible with about that many miles. Since then I have had to replace the clutch assembly and timing belt, etc. If the clutch is bad, you might notice it engaging very close to the top of the pedal travel. Perhaps yours is an auto. Also, I have had problems with window and top motors, all of which are expensive from Toyota and tough to come by otherwise. Overall, I really love mine and even though I have spent some money it is a fine car being fun to drive, economical, and still roomy enough for most needs. I think it is a great looking car as well. I think you'll be happy!