PDA

View Full Version : So back in the day...

Lucky, Volvo Driver
02-28-2010, 01:23 PM
When I joined the board I mentioned that as must be obvious from my user name, my interest is in volvos and the 7th gen gt I bought was to have something fun to drive while the wagon was off the road.

here's some refresher pics:
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n84/archlite/IMG_5148.jpg
http://thelostartof.net/lucky_0016.jpg

1993 volvo 940 turbo wagon, 2.5L stroker crank, forged lightened pistons and rods, dohc head, big ol' turbo, 1000cc injectors and megasquirt stand alone ems...among other things.

About a year ago it ran, and then the exhaust valves bent:sicks:

We pulled the head, cleaned things up, put a new one on and then...nothing. the car just would NOT run. well we figured out what happened today (took about that long for fresh people with slightly more patience than I to get around to looking at it)

It turns out the same thing that bent the valves was keeping the motor from running and it just never got discovered until now.

cam locator pins are important mmmk?
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n84/archlite/failure.jpg

Turns out while running the first time the pin sheered, the exhaust cam gear turned 90degrees and bent the valves in the process but then stopped in a position where once we put the head on the cams could be timed up to what appeared to be proper timing:dunno:

Anyway, it runs now and there truely are not smileys to describe how happy I am.

VID!!
edit// grumble grumble no embed grumble grumble
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIePq-z6pCc

Lucky, Volvo Driver
03-08-2010, 08:40 AM
not that you all care, but I drove it home today under it's own power.

horribly tuned, doesn't stall anywhere but if I were to guess there's still about 300whp left to be had on the table.

starts idles and drives about 19/20 times without a problem, the 20th time you just gotta goose the throttle a bit.

goofin on the highway, it does 50-80 in a smidge under 3 seconds if i put my foot in it in 3rd (1:1 ratio). I'm running 8psi right now, though it peaks 10 right before it shifts in first.

Pics tomorrow.

celicaGTS_T
03-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Hmm, this might give me an idea for my sis' old wagon.... its an 88' 740 i believe(??). Question: how much would this swap run (stock long block, ecu, harness, maybe 5-speed)? And yes, I'll keep it gold if I consider this haha...

Edit: more pics pls

david in germany
03-08-2010, 10:39 AM
2 words= Bad Ass!

Lucky, Volvo Driver
03-08-2010, 05:51 PM
well my build is a little high budget. I think I've got about 2grand in the bottom end alone.

HOWEVER, if you wanted to do a 16v turbo conversion on an 8v motor, you I'd estimate it could be done for as little as 2grand total. The 5speed (getrag is easiest) swap adds a couple hundred more to that.

That was the short answer, I'll give the longer one on request:-P Pics soon. btw, what are the board's rules posting video of donuts in parking lots? the volvo board demands video of shens or it didn't happen.

Lucky, Volvo Driver
03-09-2010, 07:16 AM
okay so, mods if it violates the board rules feel free to remove it but here's the link to tonight's fun and games:-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8h6guZb9jA

also a couple pic of the engine bay as it looks now.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n84/archlite/IMG_5317.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n84/archlite/IMG_5319.jpg

also, my car is always super srs
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n84/archlite/IMG_5325.jpg
srsly yo.

VikingJZ
03-09-2010, 08:10 AM
SRSly check out FCPGroton.com for parts.

Badass car man.

I miss my 850's that I used to have.

Lucky, Volvo Driver
03-09-2010, 08:23 AM
SRSly check out FCPGroton.com for parts.

Badass car man.

I miss my 850's that I used to have.

yah, i know all about fcp groton. most of what I need, they don't sell. there isn't much that's stock left under the hood of this car:-P

I can't wait to turbo my 7th gen tho. It'll have to wait a couple more years tho.

4thgenceli
03-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Judging by the video... north phoenix resident?

Blackcloud
03-09-2010, 02:00 PM
mmmmm, turbo

Lucky, Volvo Driver
03-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Judging by the video... north phoenix resident?

yep. I'm pretty near that 7/11 just off the 17 on greenway. don't steal my shit, yo:rolleyes:

T-spoon
03-09-2010, 06:41 PM
One of your right turn signal bulbs is burned out.

4thgenceli
03-09-2010, 07:00 PM
yep. I'm pretty near that 7/11 just off the 17 on greenway. don't steal my shit, yo:rolleyes:
Lol... If it's not me it'd be one of the messican's hanging around Lowes/Home Depot there.

Besides... I'm like 90 minutes away from you. I used to live at 19th/Union Hills & Cave Creek/Cactus but moved out to San Tan Valley back in August.

Lucky, Volvo Driver
03-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Both of your front turn signal bulbs are missing.
Fixed for truth.

Lol... If it's not me it'd be one of the messican's hanging around Lowes/Home Depot there.

Besides... I'm like 90 minutes away from you. I used to live at 19th/Union Hills & Cave Creek/Cactus but moved out to San Tan Valley back in August.

Dang, you're most of the way to Florence Pen!:-P Most of the car crew I hang with is in south east valley but you're WAAAAAAAAY south east:-P

And believe it or don't, but I actually haven't had any theft issues in the 3 years I've been here:)

4thgenceli
03-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Fixed for truth.

Dang, you're most of the way to Florence Pen!:-P Most of the car crew I hang with is in south east valley but you're WAAAAAAAAY south east:-P

And believe it or don't, but I actually haven't had any theft issues in the 3 years I've been here:)
LOL... yes I am. About 15 or 20 minutes out to all the state pen's. I've never had theft issues except for living in Glendale when I was at work and my car was stolen. Right at the PHX/Glendale border, so Glendale cops did shit because they said 'the car's driving in Phoenix, we have no jurisdiction'. Guess they didn't want to deal with a stolen honda with a gun in it assholes.

Lucky, Volvo Driver
03-09-2010, 11:00 PM
heh, wow. That's awesome. but not.

4thgenceli
03-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Love it out here honestly. Pinal County, partial exempt emissions, JDM st215 swap..= no emissions, no secondary cat, full exhaust :) If weather permits, we're thinking of bbq'ing this Sunday when I'm hoping to drop the engine in.

Lucky, Volvo Driver
03-10-2010, 12:55 AM
sounds great:) I'll be in sunrise this weekend enjoying some spring snowboarding.

I've got friends in AJ so I know all about your wonderful emissions rules.;-)

4thgenceli
03-10-2010, 01:13 AM
sounds great:) I'll be in sunrise this weekend enjoying some spring snowboarding.

I've got friends in AJ so I know all about your wonderful emissions rules.;-)
Awesome.. it's great up there. We gotta hook up & hit the slopes one day :) Snow is fawking awesome up north. Have you hit Mt. Lemmon yet?

T-spoon
03-10-2010, 02:28 AM
Fixed for truth.

Heh, well I never saw you signal left, or I'd have known it was both sides :hehe:

Lucky, Volvo Driver
03-10-2010, 02:51 AM
Awesome.. it's great up there. We gotta hook up & hit the slopes one day :) Snow is fawking awesome up north. Have you hit Mt. Lemmon yet?

no, I haven't. I'm actually headed for snowbowl tomorrow morning. git me a little brush up on mah skillz son!

edit: bah, between the sick and having to take care of the girlfriend's dead battery at midnight i think I'm not making it to the slopes tomorrow.

4thgenceli
03-11-2010, 08:49 AM
That sucks man :(

I caught something again. My youngest brought it home from daycare, wife got it. I got it from her and have been fighting it ever since.

Lucky, Volvo Driver
03-11-2010, 11:14 AM
_awesome_

I've been sick more since last May than I have in the decade previous.

Tonight, I had to thank Mars, Zeus, and Raptor Jesus that I have a propensity to collect spare parts and leave them in my car. The 4prong ford EDIS coil pack that I use for wasted spark (I'll go COP eventually of course...I'd love to have flat shift and launch control) died on me about 15miles from home.

after 5minutes of checking all my connections by the light of my laptop screen to make sure I hadn't disconnected something important, I went rummaging thru the pile of spare parts sitting behind the driver seat and 2minutes later I was back on the road!