PDA

View Full Version : v6 tranny question

taibones
02-27-2010, 11:25 PM
so i have been looking and what i have come across is that the w55-59 gear box is rear wheel drive and hooks up to the 3sge engines
now since the s5x transmission hooks up to the 3mzfe would my theory be correct to say that the 3mzfe could be hooked up to the w55-59 rear wheel transmissions

Dougy90
02-28-2010, 03:20 PM
it may hook up but there are a few things that should be considere:

u need to see if the bell housing lines up with the block. does the input shaft have the same number of splines as the crankshaft? will it fit together? what clutch, pressure plate or TOB will need to be fitted? Can i adapt shift linkage to work with the tranny? What will it do to the overall length of the driveshaft?

taibones
03-01-2010, 08:28 PM
From what I have read the w55 transmission will hook up to a 3sge engine with some minor mods so it shouldn't be that much different for a mzfe engine

Mafix
03-01-2010, 09:02 PM
the w5X does NOT bolt up. you need either a custom bellhousing or a corona bell housing.
there are 2 trannies that do bolt up. the r154? (tacoma v6 2wd, 5spd) good luck finding one and the altezza (is200) trans (very very very expensive 6spd)

PS i've been down this road. glad i did not follow through. if you are thinking of a RWD celica it's not horribly hard to do with an alltrac chassis. once you decide on a trans to use and modify the tunnel for it, you will need to heavily modify the chassis (roll cage and frame connectors) to keep it from twisting. after that is done you NEED to change the rear to either a supra, celica supra, or something exotic (jag with inboard brakes anyone?).

taibones
03-02-2010, 03:18 AM
well i was looking at 3sge rear wheel drive and found a site that has a how to on rear wheel 3sge conversion and thats the trans they listed i have no real real prove on it i was just wondering