PDA

View Full Version : HELP IM A NOOB with my first 92 STX

5thGenHero
02-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Im not sure where to start, for my whole life ever since I've had my driver's license i've had nothing but hondas. But now i have a 92 Celica STX. Its a bit of a culture shock cuz parts are not as easy to find and i have no idea what motors fit and what modifications would be necessary. If anyone could give me some insight on what would be the best motor for just more power with the least amount of work it would be very helpful. Waiting on ur replies.

KM
02-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Parts hard to find? Definitely not.
As for swaps... Anything with a A series block.
4AFE
4AGE
4AGZE
4AGE 20V Silvertop
4AGE 20V Blacktop
7AFE
or build a 7AGE and turbo it.

187flatliner
02-23-2010, 09:16 PM
build a 7AGE and turbo it.

seriously....do this one.

Grot
02-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Agreed on the 7AGE

This would involve sourcing a 7AFE Block and a 4AGE head.
the manifolds and wiring from the 7AFE should be sufficient, as will the ECU.

All the above engines willl be direct drop ins and will also mount to your trans.

Also heres a quick breakdown of toyota engine code incase you havent found it anywhere else.

starting with the 4afe

the "4" is the revision, so to speak.
the "a" is the block code.
and the "fe" is the head code

a 7afe and a 4afe are both very similar engines, just different revision. and displacements, but they both are A series engines.

also you can have "fe" or "ge" for your head code. "fe" is the economy series head, while "ge" is the performance series head.

If your head code has an additional letter such as the 3sgte or the 4agze, it refers to the induction of the engine. the "gte" means the engine has the performance head and is turbocharged. the "gze" is also a performance head but is supercharged.

Theres a very breif intro to toyota. cant wait to see what you do.

5thGenHero
02-23-2010, 11:49 PM
thanks guys that helps alot. i'll do some more research and let u guys know what i decide to do

MCcelica
02-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Grot: For the head series, the e refers to fuel injection. 7afe = 7 block revision, A = a series block, f = economy head, e = fuel injection. 22r is not 22re as the 22r is carb'd. T is turbo, z is supercharger.

To further this, your chassis code also indicates what motor will drop in. a 7afe or 4age will bolt into an AT18x chassis (noting the A starting the code) while a 3sg(t)e will drop into an ST18x.

Grot
02-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Good catch, i forgot about that.

5thGenHero
02-24-2010, 12:53 AM
ok. now if i were to put a 4agze from the mr2 in what would be necessary to make the swap work. would i have to modify anything from the chassis to make it fit since the mr2 is mid engine and rear wheel drive? or would it be just a straight drop and just redo the piping for the intercooler to be front mount?

celicaturbo700
02-24-2010, 12:56 AM
7agte FTW!

ok. now if i were to put a 4agze from the mr2 in what would be necessary to make the swap work. would i have to modify anything from the chassis to make it fit since the mr2 is mid engine and rear wheel drive? or would it be just a straight drop and just redo the piping for the intercooler to be front mount?

ought to be a straight drop in but im not sure. wait on the more experienced to respond.

5thGenHero
02-24-2010, 01:19 AM
thanks. that seems interesting. if its a straight drop then thats probably what i wanna do. im just looking for an easy swap that i can just put in and have fun with without having to do any internal work or anything.

Grot
02-24-2010, 01:23 AM
4AFE
4AGE
4AGZE
4AGE 20V Silvertop
4AGE 20V Blacktop
7AFE
or build a 7AGE and turbo it.

All of these are direct drop in. and all but the 4AFE (stock engine) will require have engine harnesses spliced together.

CollapsedNut
02-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Basically what they are saying.. Any of those engines will bolt in no problem, BUT you will need the complete engine, (intake manifold, sensors, ect..) ECU and wiring because they will not run on your current ECU. Putting the engine in will be the easy part, wiring and making it run will be a little harder. Lots of people have done it though.

4age is a common swap. IIRC on the 4agze, the supercharger, will not fit for some reason. I think it hits the hood or firewall or something. Do a search.

Look for a clip. That would get you a complete engine, wiring, and ECU. Its basically a car cut in half and they send you the entire engine bay. Much less work because you will have just about everything you need in one place.

andy
02-25-2010, 06:43 PM
i would go for the 20v blacktop. 160hp 8k redline and a noise thats wonderful.

darthripley
02-26-2010, 02:57 AM
blacktop 20V is very close to a 4agze power-wise.
4agze has a bit more torque vs the 20V.
just depends on if you want N/A with ITB's or the whine of the S/C.

if you go 4agze make some custom brackets & pick up the larger Previa SC14 S/C - that would give the motor more grunt to make up for the extra weight of the Celica vs. the MR2 that it came in.

Grot
02-26-2010, 03:07 AM
Or supercharging the Blacktop 20V would be awesome.

Colossus20v
02-26-2010, 03:55 AM
Basically what they are saying.. Any of those engines will bolt in no problem, BUT you will need the complete engine, (intake manifold, sensors, ect..) ECU and wiring because they will not run on your current ECU. Putting the engine in will be the easy part, wiring and making it run will be a little harder. Lots of people have done it though.

4age is a common swap. IIRC on the 4agze, the supercharger, will not fit for some reason. I think it hits the hood or firewall or something. Do a search.

Look for a clip. That would get you a complete engine, wiring, and ECU. Its basically a car cut in half and they send you the entire engine bay. Much less work because you will have just about everything you need in one place.

4AGZE does fit. A guy in Ohio(I forget his SN) did it a few years ago. He had problems with the transmission I believe and what had to have custom axles made. But the 4agze does fit with the supercharger.

If you choose to swap you will need to rewire for whatever engine you swap in, or go with a custom ecu. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how much time you have.

Night_Wolf
02-26-2010, 08:22 PM

I had a problem with my TMIC not fitting, I just raised the hood with some washers and longer bolts, works great! That is until I can get my hands on an RC hood. The cool thing about lifting it is that you can see the alternator sparking up underneath it!

KM
02-26-2010, 10:31 PM
i would go for the 20v blacktop. 160hp 8k redline and a noise thats wonderful.

If you want to hear the noise, I'll record it.

blacktop 20V is very close to a 4agze power-wise.
4agze has a bit more torque vs the 20V.
just depends on if you want N/A with ITB's or the whine of the S/C.

20V does have a nice bit of torque, atleast compared to the 4AFE and 5SFE. I get on average 350 miles to a tank driving on the interstate. I have gotten as low as 250 and as high as 415, depending on how and where I'm driving.

Or supercharging the Blacktop 20V would be awesome.

or build a 20v head on a 7afe/4agze block and turbo that.

darthripley
02-26-2010, 11:06 PM
20V does have a nice bit of torque, atleast compared to the 4AFE and 5SFE. I get on average 350 miles to a tank driving on the interstate. I have gotten as low as 250 and as high as 415, depending on how and where I'm driving.

True on the torque comparison.
At 13psi on our 4agze average is 26mpg with a leadfoot 90% of the time.

Obviously lots of options with the many 4ag motors available.

5thGenHero
03-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Now I did some research and found that the silver top 4age has stronger internals than the black top. I know I wanna go 4age with either gze pistons or aftermarket ones. So if I were to do that for turbo would it make much of a difference if it's silver top or black top?

darthripley
03-01-2010, 07:46 PM
silvertop is AFM blacktop is MAP but you could run the silvertop with a blacktop ecu & other electronics.
however, you might just want to run an EMS if you are planning to turbo a 20V.
i don't think a turbo'ed 20V is a very good idea since both silvertop & blacktop have such high compression... not that it can't be done ... you would just be so much better off getting a 4agze motor removing the S/C components & turbo'ing that.

Mr. Babb
03-01-2010, 08:02 PM
one of my friends had a built silvertop 20v running blacktop electronics, it was turbo and dyno'd at 312hp

Murgatroy
03-01-2010, 08:11 PM
The ideal way to build it would be a 4AGZE block, Silvertop head and Blacktop electronics.

If that is not an option, the electronics for the Blacktop (being a MAP) are better suited to a turbo than a Silvertop, which uses a MAF. However, the Silvertop has stronger internals.

Many folks that want to go with a turbo will use a Silvertop running Blacktop electronics.

5thGenHero
03-02-2010, 04:47 AM
Are there any websites or anything that sell different parts of each motor so I can get parts offa each individual motor? Cuz it's gonna be pricy if I had to buy each motor jus for the things I need.