PDA

View Full Version : Preferred scan tool

anachranerd
02-22-2010, 04:12 AM
Anybody got a recommendation on a good OBD2 scan tool? Not just a code reader-but the kind that reads all the sensors and gives me crap like short/long term fuel trim and pulse width,,etc? Ive been reading online and hear one person bitch about how it doesnt work on some models, etc.

What have you all had good luck with?

I got a oscope for reading one signal, but id like to get the obd2 info too, and not pay 2-300 bucks to have it not work on some cars.

Also, anyone within 1-200 miles know of anyone that will rent me their lift for a day or two?

KoreanJoey
02-22-2010, 04:21 AM
I doubt you can find one for that cheap. Maybe some of the cheaper units have that, I don't know, I use a Toyota Techstream but aside from that I'd imagine only a MOTUS or such system would have that capability.

anachranerd
02-22-2010, 04:41 AM
You own it or the dealership does?

The actron one i saw gave some values like the tps,map, fuel trim, running time, etc.

Those techstreams look pretty cool- are you able to do a lot of stuff on other non toyotas with them?

Amaymi
02-22-2010, 03:39 PM
The Panasonic tough books I used when I was a tech for Toyota were able to do many of the same things on other makes. I remember one day using it to systematically shut down injectors one at a time on a Chevy Colorado and watching the O2 values to find out which cylinder was dead. Pretty nifty stuff. I definitely wish I still had one of those at my shop.

anachranerd
02-22-2010, 07:44 PM
yeah,,,,i dont know if injector shut down is in my budget right now,,,but having that scan tool just to show sensor values could be quite handy...

KoreanJoey
02-23-2010, 12:51 AM
Dealership owns it. I think a couple of the techs have it (techstream lite) on their personal computers, thank you recall madness.

FluffyNutts
02-24-2010, 04:31 AM
I got my ethos from snap-on for 1800 dollars including all the connectors.

KoreanJoey
02-24-2010, 07:25 AM
I checked today and it looks like some of the newer Sub $100 OBD handhelds show data streams. Forgot the brand though... sorry.

sleekcelica
07-19-2010, 04:43 PM
I love the snap on modis. That thing kicks ass