PDA

View Full Version : what spark plugs do you use

jaydog82
02-22-2010, 02:46 AM
what brand, type and heat range spark plugs do you 5sfe guys use? i have been using ngk v power/NGK R plugs. i was thinking of finding a NGK plug with 2 grounds and try them, toyota used them in some of the 4runners. what do you guys think?

also i was looking at some E3 plugs and they look like crap, also they have a hotter heat range and i have heard that they have caused boosted motors to go out by burning holes in the pistons.

i figure sticking with the more base NGKs is best.

Dougy90
02-22-2010, 05:21 AM
i just use the regular NGK's. they seem to work pretty well for the 5s

celica91gts
02-22-2010, 07:45 AM
5sfe was designed to run best with copper plugs efficiency wise. performance wise i donno.

Smaay
02-23-2010, 11:44 PM
since im turboed, i use NGK BKR7ES

grayscale
02-24-2010, 12:00 AM
I wrote a bit about plugs somewhere..

But yeah, the E3 is just another bit of marketing garbage. All those extra legs do nothing except block the kernel.

I have used both of the NGK Iridiums, one is supposedly oe the other is just that-another. They do not provide any better performance over the standard copper plug. What they do provide is longer life/service between plug changes. I have also used the vpower and plain old jane coppers. I use the plain old coppers now just due to cost effectiveness. The vpower is ok, doesn't really last longer than regulars, no noticeable performance difference.
The whole idea in electrode design like the vpower is to provide more sharp edges, which is where the spark is attracted to to make it's arc. The more sharp edges you have the longer you might get good service from said plug. Thus the idea behind iridiums. It does not have more sharp edges than a standard plug, but the material- iridium- is considerably harder than copper allowing the edges to last much longer, all while having comparable conductivity properties and heat tolerance.

In short, go for iridiums if you don't like to do tuneups very often, or if you like to, go with coppers. Except know this- when I do tuneups involving plugs(quite often depending on inspection) I never reuse copper plugs, I throw them out and get new ones. It's only like $4. Cleaning a plug will only get you so far if all your sharp edges are worn out;)

jaydog82
02-24-2010, 01:45 AM
thats what i thought, now what about heat ranges? just use whatever the owners book says?

what about if one was to advance the timing to say 16, would a different heat range help?

grayscale
02-24-2010, 01:56 AM
BKR6Ex is all you need. The numbers or letters that follow that just designate what plug it is. 6 heat index is fine for advanced timing, running it for 4 years now and no issue, although I'm sure iridium would do better than copper.

Murgatroy
02-24-2010, 02:20 AM
I use cheap copper plugs. Always have, always will.

I am currently running NGKs because they were the cheapest when I bought them.

If you gap them right and check them every time you change the oil, a $2 copper plug is the best. I remember when they used to be $0.50 a plug...

For the record, when I had my 500hp engine in my race car, I used, you guessed it, cheap copper plugs.

85gtsblackman
02-24-2010, 05:16 AM
the heat index number, is the higer the number the higher the range or opposite?

EDIT: nevermind i googled and found this http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/p2.asp?mode=nml

now i rember on my 93 camry with a 2nd generation 5sfe it had a label that said something along the lines of platium plugs only, i always wondered why

KoreanJoey
02-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Iridiums last longer. But you pay more for them.

Factory Toyota Iridiums (NGK or Denso) are rated for 120K miles.

That's why I'll pay the extra.

KoreanJoey
02-24-2010, 07:55 AM
now i rember on my 93 camry with a 2nd generation 5sfe it had a label that said something along the lines of platium plugs only, i always wondered why

No, it says something to the effect of "STOP: This vehicle is equipped with platinum spark plus which should be replaced at 90,000 mile intervals.

Basically it was a reminder to technicians to NOT replace the bulbs with a regular 30,000 mile service.

91convertible
02-25-2010, 11:03 PM
they tested the e3 plugs on horse power tv and they said they added power and fuel efficiency unknowncelicawheels is running them in his car

sodap0p
02-26-2010, 12:00 AM
I use OEM.

Galcobar
02-26-2010, 02:24 AM
they tested the e3 plugs on horse power tv and they said they added power and fuel efficiency unknowncelicawheels is running them in his car

Oddly, I don't think I've seen an episode of Horsepower TV where they didn't say the product they had on the show wasn't worth buying.

Which is sort of the point of the show...

darthripley
02-26-2010, 02:52 AM
i've used iridiums copper & OEM in my Camry.
I prefer the iridiums simply due to the fact of the long life.

performance-wise and mpg-wise there's no difference that i can really tell between all 3.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Gapped copper NGKs.

Copper is a better conductor over iridium and platinum.

Resistivity (Ωm) at 20 C

Copper ---> 1.59x10-8
Platinum --> 1.0610-7
Iridium ---> 4.71x10-7

For that sole purpose, I will go with a common, recyclable metal, found abundantly in the Americas. Also, from my understanding, the less resistance, and the more current you have, the cleaner your fuel burn is. It might be marginal, but over the life of your engine you burn cleaner. This should mean your engine will last longer. This could be entirely negligible but it's worth any added effort.

I will spend $8 a year extra for new copper spark plugs if it means burning more fuel and leaving less deposits.

celicaturbo700
03-20-2010, 04:43 AM
i used iridium ngk and i loved them over the coppers

lue
03-29-2010, 05:03 AM
i use the Laser Iridium Spark Plugs. works great for my 5sfe motor. coppers are great when brand new but doesn't last as long so i hate replacing..

Izzy
03-31-2010, 03:50 AM
i just sealed my tubes so i dont get oil in them and put in some NGK iridiums