PDA

View Full Version : meguiars ultimate compound

85gtsblackman
02-21-2010, 07:49 AM
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/809/G17216_UltimateCompound.jpg

i picked up this stuff at walmart to give it a real test on my beater

i just used a bit a hour ago and so far i think it will work

ill post pics soon

Galcobar
02-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Just be careful with it, despite being a consumer-line product it is quite aggressive. Actually, it's the most aggressive consumer polish they offer, just below the professional M105 Ultra Cut Compound.

85gtsblackman
02-21-2010, 11:50 AM
just to give you an idea of what im working with

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Joe_1985/94stxandstuff012.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Joe_1985/PICT0536.jpg

last night i got the fender in the 1st pic to match the door

its hard to see but the roof and deck lid are also oxidized like that

dups90gt
02-22-2010, 08:20 PM
use a polisher, not those cheapo orbital ones but a real one that spins, really cuts your time in half!

85gtsblackman
02-23-2010, 06:09 AM
i have one

stuff like this i like to do by hand cause i do it one panel at a time and in sections

my panels shined up very well, i still need to polish and wax, but its raining and i cant find my zymol at the moment so ill have to wait for now

Galcobar
02-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Cheap has nothing to do with the style of polisher.

An orbital is a different beast than a rotary, and has different application. Using a rotary can produce greater results, but it is much more easily misused, prone to moving excessive amounts of paint, burning the paint, producing holograms or swirl marks, etc. Random-orbital polishers carry much less risk and are far easier to use. If you're not an expert with a rotary you can do some serious damage, particularly with an aggressive compound such as Ultimate.

85gtsblackman
02-23-2010, 06:36 AM
which is why i compound and polish by hand, yes it sucks but ive never skrewed up doing it that wayi have both types of buffers though, my rotary takes these stupid 7 inch bonnets i almost always have to get from napa or ebay though

85gtsblackman
02-23-2010, 06:56 AM
BAM

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Joe_1985/polishattemt1003.jpg

joe's gt
02-23-2010, 07:06 AM
sexay!

Okctrd
02-23-2010, 07:30 AM
wow! looks good, shined it right up. great work.

Galcobar
02-24-2010, 01:09 AM
i compound and polish by hand

What's that I see right behind the bottle of Ultimate?

grayscale
02-24-2010, 02:20 AM
Looking really good Joe! I'm glad to see you could put the money into it I never could. I like the wheels too!
Probably the first time it's ever had that kind of attention since it left the dealer. I think the first owner was a woman in her mid to late sixties, then the 17yo girl who hit the dear, and then I got it and it was purely a mode of transportation for me. The most I ever did was replace the windshield, one headlight, and punch the radiator a few times to get the hood to latch.

Here's the beast when I got it, and then the next one is what it was when Joe got it-

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/3/2/newstx1.JPG
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/3/2/100_2309Small.jpg

85gtsblackman
02-24-2010, 04:42 AM
What's that I see right behind the bottle of Ultimate?

that is my rotary buffer that i was gonna use for wax, then discovered i had no polish, so it was put away

Looking really good Joe! I'm glad to see you could put the money into it I never could. I like the wheels too!
Probably the first time it's ever had that kind of attention since it left the dealer. I think the first owner was a woman in her mid to late sixties, then the 17yo girl who hit the dear, and then I got it and it was purely a mode of transportation for me. The most I ever did was replace the windshield, one headlight, and punch the radiator a few times to get the hood to latch.

Here's the beast when I got it, and then the next one is what it was when Joe got it-

the 2 chicks explanes my clutch

thanks man i really apreciate that, i think in all i have around 2300 into the thing including cost of the car, but most of the stuff was cheap, if u read my project thread you'll see what i mean.

im nearing the end of replacing stuff and mods for this car soon and will just be a decent daily i hope

808joey
02-24-2010, 07:17 PM
how many passes and what was your orbital speed?
did you do glaze after?

85gtsblackman
02-25-2010, 05:30 AM
nah thats the rotary, i did prob at least 10 passes by hand, maybe more

no glaze, i plan to finish the detail when i get my car back from getting my clutch put in. that pic was just after compounding, did a semi full job test spot today , used turtule wax polish (only semi abrasive polish i have) and some zymol cleaner wax, damn the spot shined up nice

celicadude93
02-27-2010, 02:58 AM
my whole car when i got it was more faded than that fender. my whole car was like a chalky pink. i work at turtle wax. i've used the ultimate compound with 3m wax to seal it up and turtle wax compound with meguiars cleaner wax to seal it up and i like that set up the best. just my 2 cents lol great work on the car though it looks good.

85gtsblackman
02-27-2010, 06:36 AM
seeing as its the beater im trying to buy as least stuff as possible cause the clear coat has peeled in a spot, though i made it so you cant tell, and on the roof/rear quater area has a small bondo crack i need to get fixed. eventally it will have to be repainted but for now im gonna shine it up best i can.

i did experiment with the turtle wax heavy duty rubbing compound then went back over it with the meguires ultimate and it seemed to work with amazing results, ill go over the whole car later on, at the monent its getting a clutch put in

i have the following stuff
turtle wax rubbing compound heavy duty
meguires ultimate compound
no name polish
turtle wax 2001 polish
turtle wax paste polish
nu finish polish
zymol cleaner wax
mothers wax
turtle wax
meguires cleaner wax

ill probally use the ultimate, w/ heavy duty compound, paste polish or 2001 polish, zymol, then mothers, then just wash it from then on out.

sounds like alot but im just doing this on 1 fender, 1 door, the roof, and the decklid.

celicadude93
02-27-2010, 02:06 PM
mine needs a clutch too! lol. sounds like a plan best of luck. when the cars is done get some pics up