PDA

View Full Version : couple of ?'s on compatability

cfry
02-19-2010, 03:55 AM
Thanks for allowing me to become a member of the forums. I appreciate all help that is offered. My question is a simple one. I am about to purchase a 91 celica gt 2.2l with a seized motor. Car is in great shape. Going to fix it for my girlfriend. I am looking for a motor, and would like to go back with the original...This is where i run into the issue. I have searched the forums here and cannot tell specifically if the motor is a 5sfe or not. Furthermore, does it matter in regard to ecm and harness if i purchase a motor out of a newer celica? Cant seem to find the answers, or dont know how to look apparently. what will i be able to put back in there that would require no extensive modification. Not buildin a race car....I dont mind swapping harnesses and ecm's just want to know up front what i will need depending on the year of motor I put back. car is an auto also if it makes a difference on engine...(dont see how it will if its the same platform, but you never know!!!!)

Thanks again,

Cfry

Murgatroy
02-19-2010, 04:01 AM
If the motor is the original, it is a 5SFE, that is the 2.2L engine.

Since it is a `91, it is a REV 1 engine. For ease of installation, you will want another `90-91 engine to drop in. `92 if you get it from an MR2.

Any 5SFE will fit, but you will run into small sensor issues. The block however will be fine if you retain your original head/intake manifold for the sensors.

If you get an MR2 engine, you will have to change out all the accessory brackets to fit the Celica chassis.

The car being an automatic will only effect the ECU, as the auto has a second (or secondary depending on the year) computer to control the transmission. If all you are swapping is the engine, you will be fine.

cfry
02-19-2010, 05:44 AM
will the sensor issues be one reference signal voltage, or range, or just a different harness all together? Would replacing just ecu with a newer motor remedy the issue? if so, is the old harness compatable with the new ecu pinout wise? sorry i know these are specific questions, but like i said just wanting to know what i am stepping into. would like to use the full setup should i purchase a jdm motor as i was planning on. hate throwing a 160k head/cam setup on a 40k motor. again thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Hiko
02-19-2010, 05:58 AM
(Insert disclaimer that I am not an authority so wait until someone else confirms this)

IIRC, the long block (head and block) can be swapped over entirely. The only thing that could cause a problem with the head swapping over would be the distributor, but I've never heard of a difference in mounting between years. In other words, if you use your old distributor, you should be fine with a 5sfe.

Just to let you know, there is no such thing as a JDM 5sfe, only it's little brother the 3sfe, which is essentially the exact same but 2.0 liters instead of 2.2. Just thought I should let you know in advance. I'm also pretty sure that the mounting of the distributor is the same for the 3s as it is in the 5s (at least with the earlier ones).

cfry
02-19-2010, 06:08 AM
sorry should have been more specific. i understand that the blocks will be the exact same. gonna use a chevy example here....but its the same as vortec heads and intake fitting on a 2pc rear seal small block. I figured as much. same generation of block design. what i should have said was with the sensor issue....am i going to run into the issue with harness attaching to sensors? sensor location? range the ecm detects from the sensors? or just a different number of sensors? sorry about the jdm....just how it was advertised. the block i would be getting is a 5sfe....seems to be more of the newer setups out there. While not specific to this model of vehicle, I have on more than one occasion adapted motors into cars. just never messed with a toyota...aside from the 85 corolla sr5 i have.

Hiko
02-19-2010, 06:20 AM
I suppose I also should have clarified my response. If I am correct (and looking over at the mr2 boards, it lends credit to the idea that I am), you will not have to deal with any sensor, harness, or ECU problems provided you are ONLY swapping the long block. Just re-use all your old electronics on the new engine and you should be fine.

jaydog82
02-19-2010, 06:42 AM
what year block are you getting? also if you are getting a jdm motor and your car is a CA emissions car there will be a couple of differences. also you should try to stick with a motor 90-95 maybe up to 98, it will be easier if you are using the jdm head, you also may need spark plug wires from a 94 camry dx and your old intake manifold will fit closer to the valve cover causing some cramping.

donteatbugs
02-19-2010, 11:47 AM
if you get a 5sfe from a different year the easiest thing to do would be to srip it down to the block and head. dont take the head off. bolt on you intake, exhaust, water outlet, dizzy, alt, pwr steer pump and a/c. on the valve cover i dont remember which one i used. i think your old one might fit cant remember. this is the easiest way.

now you can do it the way i did it the second time, leave the engine alone and make a wiring harness from your old one and the donor cars harness and use the new ecu. there is no hp to be gained here and it takes just about 5 times as long to do. i just wanted to see if i could do it.

Murgatroy
02-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Ooh, a Chevy guy...

It is not the output range of the sensors, it is the amount of sensors.

Luni
02-19-2010, 03:52 PM
You can use ANY 5SFE engine you want, as long as you retain your original wiring harness, and accessories. Youd use your original ECU and wiring harness. As stated several times above, youd pretty much just need a new longblock.