PDA

View Full Version : For you 4th gen'ers that have relocated your battery...

4thgenceli
02-19-2010, 02:08 AM
Where did you run the 1/0 cable into the engine bay? Or did you only run the 4 gauge into the engine bay, and break the 1/0 in the cabin somewhere (or whatever gauge primary you used)?

88st165
02-19-2010, 03:22 AM
I ran my 0awg through the grommet found in the driver side wheel well behind the splash guard. From there its pretty easy to run it to the trunk/hatch area even though its a big wire.

4thgenceli
02-19-2010, 02:03 PM
I ran my 0awg through the grommet found in the driver side wheel well behind the splash guard. From there its pretty easy to run it to the trunk/hatch area even though its a big wire.
So is it running driver side then? Wouldn't that give you audio interference?

I pulled out the rear seating, and passenger seat to feed the line up to the front (as there's a slick lil' duct that the cable runs neatly through). I'm thinking of feeding it up through where the engine harness runs, but I'll pull the passenger splash guard to see if there's another spot I can run some cables through as well.

Mr. Babb
02-19-2010, 03:01 PM

I ran mine in the 5th gen the same way, I'm assuming that the speaker wires still go down this side on the 5gc, I had no problems.

4thgenceli
02-19-2010, 03:20 PM
I ran mine in the 5th gen the same way, I'm assuming that the speaker wires still go down this side on the 5gc, I had no problems.
:grumble grumble:

Now to f*ing remove the drivers seat.

ChrisD
02-19-2010, 03:38 PM
I drilled a hole in my firewall and put a grommet on there, then ran it under the carpet along the drivers side. No need to remove the seat.

Going in through the wheel well might be an idea especially if theres some space already. On place might be to go through where the stock airbox in the fender is.

:)

btw- hopefully you don't have many plans to go to the 1/4 mile...battery in the back makes it 'complicated'...I have quite the jerry-rigged setup just to get through inspections...haha

4thgenceli
02-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Thanks Chris. I already pulled the passenger seat, all rear seats, and half the rear interior panels are out. What's another 4 bolts? :P

88st165
02-19-2010, 04:52 PM
On place might be to go through where the stock airbox in the fender is.

:)

btw- hopefully you don't have many plans to go to the 1/4 mile...battery in the back makes it 'complicated'...I have quite the jerry-rigged setup just to get through inspections...haha

Thats exactly where I ran the cable into the wheel well bc I dont have the stock air box anymore. Also routed it along the side in that channel and I have no radio interference at all.

Difficulty getting though tech would depend on the track. NHRA rules say that if you relocate the batt to the trunk you require an external kill switch. I never had any trouble running bc my car is slow. I asked about that rule at my local track bc I dont have a switch. They asked me how fast I plan on running and I said 13's. They proceeded to laugh loudly and said sure you can run haha.

ChrisD
02-19-2010, 05:17 PM
LOL

I'm also running in the 13's, I get hassled every time. Hoping for 12's this year. Here's my set up. Kill switch + disconnected alternator. The tricky thing is that the alternator will keep the car running for a long time after the switch is killed. And still, they slide in some comment like 'well it could probably have died quicker' even though in my opinion, the engine dies immediately. That said, their track, their rules.

jaydog82
02-19-2010, 09:01 PM
they also want you to have a battery box.

ChrisD
02-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Yep, have that too. Vented. Despite the fact that I have a completely sealed battery.

Shadowlife25
02-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Where did you run the 1/0 cable into the engine bay? Or did you only run the 4 gauge into the engine bay, and break the 1/0 in the cabin somewhere (or whatever gauge primary you used)?

I ran mine along the passenger side through an unused grommet in the firewall.

DEAD SIMPLE.

4thgenceli
02-19-2010, 11:08 PM
I ran mine along the passenger side through an unused grommet in the firewall.

DEAD SIMPLE.
That must be the problem.. I can't find a grommet on the passanger side that's unused. I'm going to strip out the driver side right now and take a look at it.

4thgenceli
02-20-2010, 02:04 AM
Well I found a grommet that was in use along the drivers panel, but had plenty of room for the 1/0.

Ran that, but no matter how I do it I don't trust the ground distro block I have :-\ When I bolt/screw it in, all the screws I use come REALLY fucking close or touch the block itself.

I had to toss the towel in tonight.. i'll go back at it Sunday morning. Last thing I want is to keep blowing fuses cuz it's shorting out against the chassis all the time. Maybe I'll fab up some sort of plastic or rubber spacer to put between the block and the body and then I can still use the bolts... hopefully not shorting out L-\

Shadowlife25
02-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Well I found a grommet that was in use along the drivers panel, but had plenty of room for the 1/0.

Ran that, but no matter how I do it I don't trust the ground distro block I have :-\ When I bolt/screw it in, all the screws I use come REALLY fucking close or touch the block itself.

I had to toss the towel in tonight.. i'll go back at it Sunday morning. Last thing I want is to keep blowing fuses cuz it's shorting out against the chassis all the time. Maybe I'll fab up some sort of plastic or rubber spacer to put between the block and the body and then I can still use the bolts... hopefully not shorting out L-\

Do you see the problem here Tim?

It's a GROUND DISTRIBUTION block. Who cares if it GROUNDS OUT?

I think you are too tired bro. Seems that you're over thinking this bs.
Call me tomorrow if you like and I will be glad yo help as I am able. :)

4thgenceli
02-20-2010, 01:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/celiman89/wiring.png

Color coded.

The power distribution block is NOT fused, but rather it is actually a GROUND distribution block (as I have the 200a fuse already back by the battery and didn't need a 2nd fuse). No matter which way I try to install it it looks like it's going to ground out against the chassis. Should I just cut losses & install the block inside the cabin somewhere, or after it's all ready just make some sort of insulator out of rubber mat and & electrical tape?

I'm leaning toward using a piece of rubber underneath the distribution block, and then attaching it to the chassis & use electrical tape to prevent screws from connecting to the block & causing shorts.

Mr. Babb
02-20-2010, 03:36 PM
I know i had a little different setup on my 5gc but I used an a/c condenser insulated stud. Just screwed it into one of the vacant holes in the engine bay, put terminals on the ends of the wires and secured them to the top of the stud with a nut.

4thgenceli
02-20-2010, 03:58 PM
That's what I'm thinking.

I'm gonna head to a hardware store, I have an idea that may work. going to find some smaller nuts/bolts/washers/rubber spacers and instead of screwing into a stock hole from the airbox, I'll drop a smaller bolt through and then use rubber spacers to keep it from grounding, with a lil' epoxy or electrical tape covering the bolt top itself.

Mafix
02-25-2010, 03:48 PM
my starter bolt hates me! i've got everything going there.
i ran my cable through the drivers side. obviously i don't have to worry about audio interference.

801Alltrac
03-09-2010, 02:27 AM
did you guys stay with the same battery or use a lighter one?

4thgenceli
03-09-2010, 02:39 AM
I'm going to be getting an Optima battery (red or yellow, most likely yellow).