PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Chatter

Night_Wolf
02-18-2010, 06:07 PM
How do you know if you have it exactly? I push the clutch in on my car and it makes this "chatter" noise, let off the clutch and it doesn't "chatter" anymore. It's a stage 3 Clutchmasters with a Fidanza Flywheel. It grabs fine and pulls great, I'm just curious if that's what the sound is.
Thanks!

Luni
02-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Usually clutch chatter is when you DONT have your foot on the clutch.

But yours could be chatter.

See on my ACT 6 puck unsprung, I get chatter with the clutch OUT, and when I push the clutch in it goes away, and it doesnt always do it.

Night_Wolf
02-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Hm...I wonder what mine is, its done it since I finished the swap although for a while it seemed like it stopped, maybe cause it was cold and I didn't have the windows down. Im not sure whether I should be worried, cause when I push the clutch in and rev the motor it makes a faster chatter :(

celicadude93
02-19-2010, 04:36 AM
i know a guy with a tiburon and another guy with a tc that they both but light weight fly wheels in with stage 1 cluthes and after the swaps they both had chatter. i assumed it to be normal for light fly wheels

celica91gts
02-19-2010, 05:09 AM
i put my money on a worn out throwout bearing.

jaydog82
02-19-2010, 05:20 AM
ya it sounds like the clutch is not releasing all the way.

85gtsblackman
02-19-2010, 07:02 AM
mine chatters a lil when the clutch isnt pushed in, usally its the t/o bearing

but my clutch is shot though

DarkSideCelica
02-20-2010, 12:23 AM
same thing with my accord.. i step on the clutch and i hear a grinding sounds, but disappears when i let go the clutch..... clutch grabs fine tho... OEM clutch and flywheel btw

Night_Wolf
02-20-2010, 02:32 AM
I was wondering if it was the TOB, what problems can occur if I decide to wait a couple months to fix it? You know, when its warmer and the ground isn't covered in snow.

v3
02-20-2010, 05:04 AM
I'm getting a little bit of chatter after the new trans, fidanza 8 lbs aluminum flywheel and southbend SS TZ kevlar clutch.....It's annoying, almost sounds like valve tick.

hnygt4
04-04-2010, 11:19 PM
my clutch makes such a noise that some mates thought my engine was toast and people stop me every few days to tell my cars cars fked!! it is an ogura single plate and flywheel though :) my pressure plate isnt attached to the cover plate, same sort of thing as twin plates, perfectly normal on clutches like this, and ones like hks twin plates. not sure of any advantage building the clutch this way, but sounds cool, and horrible at the same time haha, btw only makes the noise when the pedal is pressed

KoreanJoey
04-05-2010, 03:07 AM
If it's making noise while loaded it's probably something in the hub, maybe a loose spring.

Lemuel
04-09-2010, 05:57 PM
It does not sound life the TOB, but if it is for some reason ill give it about 5k miles max before you drop the tranny.

Night_Wolf
04-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Well the sound disappeared a few weeks ago, so idk what it was lol

jaydog82
04-27-2010, 06:10 PM
thats good

Siyx
04-27-2010, 06:20 PM
.... or bad.
:haha:

KoreanJoey
04-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Might have just been a rough spot on the flywheel or something.

karl
04-29-2010, 05:51 PM
clutch chatter isn't noise.

clutch chatter is a juttering as you're releasing the clutch, causing the drive train to shake.

i had an RPS clutch years ago that chattered so bad it shook the back end of the car to the point of breaking the exhaust hangers. it's more common with puck clutches, but full face clutches can chatter if not broken in properly.

the "chattering" that a lot of people hear with their foot off the clutch on the E153 gearbox is the sound of the gear teeth rattling together in neutral, and is perfectly normal. the E boxes use some big gear base circles and shafts and make more noise in neutral because of this.

if you get a squeaking noise with your foot off the clutch, it could be the release bearing, and if you get a vibration with your foot pressing the clutch, but before the clutch engages, it's most likely a loose bolt or two on the pressure plate, causing it to wobble relative to the release bearing and causing the clutch fork (and therefore the clutch pedal) to vibrate.

i've had my share of clutch problems, can ya tell? :D

KoreanJoey
04-30-2010, 07:22 AM
Squeaking while getting on and off the clutch is usually the bushing in the clutch pedal...

darthripley
04-30-2010, 08:59 PM
^ that's a common problem on MKII MR2's, but it's not always that little pedal bushing.

both the alltrac & our MKI MR2 squeaked like crazy when we replaced the clutch/fw & TOB on both the squeeeeeeeeeek when you pushed in the pedal went away.
i'm pretty sure it was the TOB on both cars being old & having all the grease dry up.