PDA

View Full Version : coilover install?

187flatliner
02-17-2010, 09:19 AM
anyone ever install coilovers on stock struts? btw 87 gt...i used the search and i HATE that thing.

ive never installed coilovers....i dont have the cash to buy new shocks and do a modified strut.......will the stock ones work? if so........is there any mods i have to do before i can install them.......do i need to cut anything off the struts? (fronts i mean).....i looked at so many coilover threads and found not one that gives me any type of idea to actually install coilovers on stock struts...........can someone help me understand.

i have brand new struts off of the car now and my coilovers just came in.

and btw i know how to install the struts in the car i just need the install onto the strut itself. thanks in advance and pictures of this (installed, in progress)would be awsome as i learn easier by seeing and doing then someone just saying it.

METDeath
02-17-2010, 11:45 AM
The only good coil over sleeve for Celica's that I've heard of is Ground Control, other than that, it's all complete assemblies. I know there's a kit on eBay, but... ewww.

However, either way you go, the rear's will be easy, for the front you will have to shave the gland nut into a round shape, at least on the stock struts, Koni struts come with a round gland nut that you won't have to trim... at least I think you won't have to trim, I know it's round though.

GTAsian
02-18-2010, 05:07 AM
koni's are hella bank. but at that point, wouldn't you just recommend full coilovers?

METDeath
02-18-2010, 05:12 AM
Depends on what you want, if you want real performance, then no get the Koni's and the ground control combo. If you just want looks and better than stock performance, then get some full coil over assembly, just not K-Sport (bad shock dyno results). Hell, even if you just want stock replacements, I'd recommend an inexpensive set of Megan racing coil overs, just let them know you don't plan to track the car and ask for a slightly softer spring for more comfort.

KoreanJoey
02-18-2010, 05:25 AM
The difference comes with the shocks. Koni makes a MUCH better shock than the Megans. However, you're average Joe won't notice, other than they work.

If you're planning on track days, autocross, etc. You'll need more, something that won't drastically change valving as they heat up and something where the shocks have the same valving from one to another.

donteatbugs
02-18-2010, 11:48 AM
i have a koni/gc combo on the trac and i like it. im about to put tein ss-p on the gt-s and see whats up with them. first tein stuff ive ran.

KoreanJoey
02-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Tein generally falls under the same problem of shocks/adjustability. Honestly, I'd rather have good shocks that are the same, side to side, and just leave them be than have 16 or 32 way adjustability. If Bilstein made anything that was worth a shit for our cars that's probably the way that I'd go.

RedRkt01
02-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Good stuff fellas.

187flatliner
04-14-2010, 05:45 AM
well the set i bought didnt work......so i checked the ground control....they dont make them for the fwd celicas....just the alltrac...

i have an 87 with stock suspension pieces......will the alltrac work without too much modification? im down with trimming the nut to a round shape but the backs were to wide also.

anyone have any ideas for cheap coilovers that will work with my stock set up?

i dont track and im not worried about ride quality to much.

KoreanJoey
04-14-2010, 07:11 AM
Flatliner, you're wrong about the ground-controls. I've got them on my FWD celica. BUT, since you don't care just get the megans, stay away from the Ksports.

187flatliner
04-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Flatliner, you're wrong about the ground-controls. I've got them on my FWD celica. BUT, since you don't care just get the megans, stay away from the Ksports.

maybe i just didnt see them listed...but i just checked again and still didnt see them listed, is there another place to get them at? and how much do the megans cost?

i have a fourth gen......like stated before

acidice333
04-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Maybe one of these how-to's your looking for?

STRUT:-Koni-Cut-A-Strut-Procedure (http://diy.icydesigns.com/article/46/Toyota/Celica/1990-93-(ST18x)/Suspension/Brakes/Steering/STRUT:-Koni-Cut-A-Strut-Procedure)

STRUT:-Strut-Assembly (http://diy.icydesigns.com/article/45/Toyota/Celica/1990-93-%28ST18x%29/Suspension/Brakes/Steering/STRUT:-Strut-Assembly)

STRUT:-Rear-Strut-Conversion-to-Inserts-+-Coilover (http://diy.icydesigns.com/article/44/Toyota/Celica/1990-93-(ST18x)/Suspension/Brakes/Steering/STRUT:-Rear-Strut-Conversion-to-Inserts-+-Coilover)

KoreanJoey
04-15-2010, 01:05 AM
4th and 5th gens should have the same strut diameter so the spring perches for the 5th gen should fit just fine.

187flatliner
04-15-2010, 02:12 AM
4th and 5th gens should have the same strut diameter so the spring perches for the 5th gen should fit just fine.

any other way to find out for sure? anyone have them handy?