PDA

View Full Version : cheap suspension upgrade?

hidavidd
02-12-2010, 01:09 AM
I'm looking to upgrade my front and rear struts and springs

What's my options?

91 GT Convertible

lburner
02-12-2010, 01:24 AM
kyb & Eibach Pro-Kit

celica91gts
02-12-2010, 01:27 AM
have you tried the search function? or have you tried going to the "brakes, tires, & suspension" section?

there are a lot of options. if you want a good stock replacement then purchase the kyb gr2 struts. are you just doing maintenance on them and wanna change your old struts and springs out for newer ones? or are you looking for performance with stiffer struts and springs?

i am currently on kyb gr-2's with an eibach prokit. some people might say their happy with it but i still get more body roll then i'd like.

GTAsian
02-12-2010, 01:35 AM
GR-2s + Eibach Sportlines.

FluffyNutts
02-12-2010, 01:41 AM
Cut the springs, WOOT!

hidavidd
02-12-2010, 01:41 AM
I've tried the search but all I could find were performance upgrades.

All I want is an upgrade from my old stock suspension system. I don't track my car or anything, I cruise more than anything and I want a smoother ride I guess?

celica91gts
02-12-2010, 01:45 AM
springs don't go bad, only struts do. and if your struts are blown just get the kyb gr-2's. they are a good stock replacement, and reuse your old springs.

hidavidd
02-12-2010, 01:50 AM
Would my local autoparts stores have them, or are they an online type buy only?

mar_phi6
02-12-2010, 02:04 AM
your local autoparts should have them. Most of the time they carry monroe sensatrac

GTAsian
02-12-2010, 02:41 AM
contact redrkt01. He can hook you up with some lowering springs. and also, if you want a smooth ride, might want to get a lower spring rate, and new shocks(very important for smoothness factor)

hidavidd
02-12-2010, 03:53 AM
contact redrkt01. He can hook you up with some lowering springs. and also, if you want a smooth ride, might want to get a lower spring rate, and new shocks(very important for smoothness factor)

Lol, i'm rolling on 14s right now, so lowering springs is the last thing I need. Smoothness all the way. Thanks though

Where'd you guys buy your struts? I'm looking at a few parts stores online and they only have the rears for kyb gr2's? and prices too?

Galcobar
02-12-2010, 06:37 AM
The rears are replaced with sealed struts. The fronts are rebuildable, so you only buy the shock inserts.

joe's gt
02-12-2010, 07:51 AM
springs don't go bad, only struts do. and if your struts are blown just get the kyb gr-2's. they are a good stock replacement, and reuse your old springs.

eh depends. They definitely have a much longer life than struts but road conditions and driving style can shorten or lengthen life of the springs. Both my springs and struts are bad. You can tell if your springs are bad if your car physically starts lowering. That's whats happening to me right now. Springs can go bad, they are just usually much less of an issue than struts.

celica91gts
02-12-2010, 10:46 AM
i stand corrected, thanks joe.

hidavidd
02-12-2010, 12:59 PM
The rears are replaced with sealed struts. The fronts are rebuildable, so you only buy the shock inserts.

What are the chances that my strut mounts and inserts need to be replaced for my front struts?

Also, how can I tell that my springs need to be replaced too? I don't know if my car has been dropping or not since I bought it used--

Nate84
02-12-2010, 04:13 PM
i just got in a order of kybs all around with kyb mounts...ill let ya know how they do after i get them on this week! mind you ive got H&R springs.

METDeath
02-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Here's the funny part, if you do full proper replacement of all the parts you're supposed to replace which includes:

Struts
Strut mounts
Bump stops
and all the rubber

You actually start hitting close to 1000 dollars, at which point your better off just buying some inexpensive coil-overs like Megan racing's coil-overs, which are fairly well reviewed for the price they are. Plus you get the advantage of adjustment that you wouldn't with stock, so when you get alignments you have camber adjustments so that the shop you chose can get your car aligned juuuuust right.

Also, if I remember correctly you can specify spring rates when purchasing, so if you tell them that you daily drive the car and simply want a comfortable ride, then they will set you up with some softer springs than what they typically put on there.

And again, RedRckt01 is the guy to talk to about those, he gets pretty good pricing on pretty much everything he sells. Plus, installation of a coil over is very easy compared to the installation of front struts, nor will you need to buy a spring compressor (which you would if you were staying with the stock spring).

hidavidd
02-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Here's the funny part, if you do full proper replacement of all the parts you're supposed to replace which includes:

Struts
Strut mounts
Bump stops
and all the rubber

You actually start hitting close to 1000 dollars, at which point your better off just buying some inexpensive coil-overs like Megan racing's coil-overs, which are fairly well reviewed for the price they are. Plus you get the advantage of adjustment that you wouldn't with stock, so when you get alignments you have camber adjustments so that the shop you chose can get your car aligned juuuuust right.

Also, if I remember correctly you can specify spring rates when purchasing, so if you tell them that you daily drive the car and simply want a comfortable ride, then they will set you up with some softer springs than what they typically put on there.

And again, RedRckt01 is the guy to talk to about those, he gets pretty good pricing on pretty much everything he sells. Plus, installation of a coil over is very easy compared to the installation of front struts, nor will you need to buy a spring compressor (which you would if you were staying with the stock spring).

Well, after adding up the costs for the Eibach Sportline Springs ($197.15), GR-2 Front inserts ($71.92) and GR-2 Rear Struts ($90.88) PLUS S&H ($26.92) , the total came up to be $386.86. I'm gonna go ahead and order that and hope that my front mounts are gonna be okay..

Above prices are from RacePages with a 10% discount (rpcart).
Could I save a significant amount of money by buying these parts elsewhere?

joe's gt
02-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Well, after adding up the costs for the Eibach Sportline Springs ($197.15), GR-2 Front inserts ($71.92) and GR-2 Rear Struts ($90.88) PLUS S&H ($26.92) , the total came up to be $386.86. I'm gonna go ahead and order that and hope that my front mounts are gonna be okay..

Above prices are from RacePages with a 10% discount (rpcart).
Could I save a significant amount of money by buying these parts elsewhere?

You forgot about the strut mounts and all the rubber you most likely will need to replace for a proper fix as Marshall mentioned above. If you take shortcuts on that stuff, your clunking and sounds may not go away. They won't go away either way if they are bushing related tho.

Galcobar
02-12-2010, 11:17 PM
I spent about $1000 to replace my struts, shocks, mounts, insulators, stabilizer bar end links, stabilizer bar bushings, and lowering springs at all four corners.

You can always replace the wearable parts of the system and leave the springs for later -- it's easier, of course, to do it in one shot, but once you've taken it apart it's fairly easy to do again (assuming you used proper lubrication and anti-seize).

Nate84
02-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Well i just got done putting on my kyb's and my initial reaction is WOW! night and day. mind you i have afew things that add to the ride but the kybs go hand in hand with the other mods. All four corners cost me a lil over 400. not bad if you ask me. thats the inserts and struts plus caps and boots and bump stops.

METDeath
02-16-2010, 06:10 AM
Well i just got done putting on my kyb's and my initial reaction is WOW! night and day. mind you i have afew things that add to the ride but the kybs go hand in hand with the other mods. All four corners cost me a lil over 400. not bad if you ask me. thats the inserts and struts plus caps and boots and bump stops.

You think that's good, take a ride in my car sometime ;p

Murgatroy
02-17-2010, 01:48 AM

Struts
Strut mounts
Bump stops
and all the rubber

Marshall is right in this aspect. Chaos has 220k on her right now. Stock suspension. It is shot. So I start pricing it out to replace it and rebuild it.

$300 for springs, $300 for struts, $400 for strut mounts and suddenly you are in adjustable coilover territory.

I don't daily drive my car. Comfort is not my concern.

I bought the coilovers.

METDeath
02-17-2010, 04:39 AM
Oh, and KYB is not an "upgrade" it's stock replacement. I knew something was bugging me about this thread.

hidavidd
02-25-2010, 04:16 AM
So I've installed the GR-2 front inserts and rear struts and my car is still make clunking sounds going over bumps. What is the likely cause of this? bad springs, mounts, etc?

and I decided at the time to wait to order the eibach springs, just to see the difference with only struts..

KoreanJoey
02-25-2010, 04:21 AM
Did you replace the mounts?

GTAsian
02-25-2010, 04:33 AM
Check if your CV shafts are cracked. or it might be your wheel bearings.

hidavidd
02-25-2010, 05:46 AM
Did you replace the mounts?

No, I haven't. I'm wondering if replacing the mounts or replacing the springs would fix the problem..

KoreanJoey
02-25-2010, 05:48 AM
Springs are unlikely to be your problem, most likely is mounts and or the rubber isolators.

Galcobar
02-25-2010, 09:18 AM
You forgot about the strut mounts and all the rubber you most likely will need to replace for a proper fix as Marshall mentioned above. If you take shortcuts on that stuff, your clunking and sounds may not go away. They won't go away either way if they are bushing related tho.

This was Joe's reply to a post of yours (hidavidd) earlier in the thread.

hidavidd
03-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Okay, so I'm about to order the strut mounts but it would be alot easier to install new springs also.. Anything cheaper than Eibachs but almost as smooth, or whatever?

smooth ride > ride height for me

celicaGTS_T
03-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Megan springs are pretty cheap (about 150$ for a set). Ill admit, they are a stiff ride but what can you expect from lowering springs.

GTAsian
03-09-2010, 01:56 AM
Megans are about the cheapest it gets, but if you're looking for good quality, I'd go with H&Rs. I've heard nothing but good reviews.

5thgenkeeper
03-09-2010, 02:48 AM
Who is this RedRckt01? Are you guys abbreviating his user name? It doesn't come up in the search.

Edit*** Nm I found him, member search be broken.

Btw, I don't know if these guys are legit or not, they claim to have the Megan coil overs for $880 with free shipping in the lower 48. http://www.upscaleautomotive.com

KoreanJoey
03-09-2010, 05:22 AM
I'd stick with Kevin (redrckt). He's been great with all our members here and he's very competitive with his pricing.