PDA

View Full Version : 3SFE Options on rebuild/swap

CollapsedNut
02-11-2010, 10:55 PM
If I were to aquire a 89 celica gt and the engine needed to be gone over for some rod knock. Im in college and only work a few hours a week. Average check is $120-$150. This is a toy car so I can rebuild as I have the money, but what route should I go?

1) Rebuild as needed *Rings, main&rod bearings, cylinders honed, gaskets/seals, head inspected*

2) Go completely fresh everything including head job. Car will be down longer but be ready for another 200k+ miles

3) Let it sit till next tax season when I get the money for a 3sgte clip. Work on suspension and body in the mean time.

4) Find a 3sge in the junkyard, nab the head and other related parts to go 3sfe/ge. Rebuild current bottom end as needed, ref. option 1.

5) Wait till next tax season and get a 3sge beams clip.

1 and 2 all depends on if a cylinder needs to be bored to determine total cost. If one does, its almost cheaper to just buy a rebuilt short block or go with option 3.

Just trying to get input on how to go about this. I think Im leaning twords option 1 then once Im out of school get the 3sgte clip swap or beams.
Also this wil be my first engine job since auto tech class in highschool. I will have my uncle advising and helping me along the way for he is an engine guru. So Im kinda excited to just rebuild it period.

4thgenceli
02-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Why not just find a low mileage 3sfe? They're only a few hundred for one.

CollapsedNut
02-11-2010, 11:53 PM
Why not just find a low mileage 3sfe? They're only a few hundred for one.
Because even then Id like to go over it before installing. I dont wanna be going down the road the next day and it lock down or something.

4thgenceli
02-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Well in that case, I'd go with option 1, and send the head out to have it done.

I'm still a strong supporter (unless you have the hardware/tools/equipment/etc) of having a machine shop strip & redo the head.

CollapsedNut
02-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Well in that case, I'd go with option 1, and send the head out to have it done.

I'm still a strong supporter (unless you have the hardware/tools/equipment/etc) of having a machine shop strip & redo the head.

Any head work will not be done by me, I'm with you on that one.

DudeMan
02-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Well it looks like you have a newer, reliable car for a daily ride so as long as you have a place to work on the car you should be set to take your time.

I would work on the body and suspension until you can afford to drop in a 3SGTE. You would have to be patient but it would pay off.

More importantly, make sure its the right car for you. I'm in the middle of a pretty big project right now and at times I kick myself for not picking a better Celica as a starting point.

CollapsedNut
02-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Pointless thread. I have my mind made up I guess. I really wanna rebuild the 3sfe, over the past year I've been buying tons of matco tools cause the damn truck comes by work and he suckers me into stuff all the time lol. So I wanna use them for something more than a break job! I think im going to go with option 1 then one day ill get the 3sgte, untill then ima drive the 3sfe.

Murgatroy
02-12-2010, 01:06 AM
There is a certain sense of satisfaction that comes from rebuilding an engine yourself.

4thgenceli
02-13-2010, 02:25 PM
There is a certain sense of satisfaction that comes from rebuilding an engine yourself.
Amen to that.

Nothing like doing it yourself, then having the knowledge of what and what not to do later :P

DudeMan
02-13-2010, 05:43 PM
+2

I just find it funny how many people tell me I can't do it. My parents, my friends, coworkers etc. have all told me I will never pull it off. I think if anything it motivates me even more.

Just some advice for when you dive into it.

-I would try and get a hard copy of the BGB since its handy to have laying around for quick reference. I downloaded a copy online, put it on a CD and had it printed at a professional printer.

-Imagine you cant remember anything. All hoses, bolts, nuts, parts etc. should be bagged and/or tagged. Have a digital camera handy and take pictures of anything you take apart, before and after. Organization is key.

-Find a good machinist/machine shop that you like. I went to maybe 5 places within a couple hours and pretty much everyone of them wanted me to just take my quote and get the hell out. Some places were downright dirty and most of them looked at me like an idiot because I wasn't completely sure what I wanted do. I knew immediately when I found the right place cause it was meticulously clean and the guy talked it over with me for nearly an hour.

-You will need some specialty tools depending on how much you would like to do yourself. Cherrypicker, engine stand, micrometer, dial indicator, plastigage, feeler gauges, valve spring compressor, piston ring compressor, piston ring expander etc. Some of these you can rent or borrow like the cherrypicker and stand or if you have the machine shop tear down the head then you wont need a valve spring compressor. Personally, I compared the cost of labor to the cost of a tool and found for the most part I could invest in the tool and still save money on labor. All that's up to you though.

-Be anal about cleanliness. I haven't quite gotten to the point of reassembly but when I do I'll treat it like surgery. A small contaminant could cause serious headaches down the road.

-Be safe. Wear ear plugs, safety glasses, gloves etc. when needed. Have a friend around when pulling or installing the engine. I managed to drop mine by myself but I really should of had some assistance, just for safety if anything.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm no engine builder or expert but this advice was given to me when I started and its helped big time.

85gtsblackman
02-13-2010, 06:06 PM
dump in a 5s

CollapsedNut
02-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Delayed due to snow and not having a truck to tow it home with.
Cant wait to start! As far as the pulling of the engine goes, cherrypickers are for noobs, I use an excavator! Used a skidsteer with forks to pull and swap the 4afe in my ST lol