PDA

View Full Version : Transcontinental

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-10-2010, 10:36 PM
In March, after my full tear down, rebuilding and selling of the GT, I am heading back out west to Los Angeles. I plan on doing the trip in 4-5 days with stops in St. Louis, Kansas City, Wichita, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Flagstaff and Phoenix. If anyone wants to meet up, or has some advice/ worthy sightseeing nod, feel free to let me know.

You know you can't pass up the opportunity to kick the tires on another Celica...

4thgenceli
02-10-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm south of phoenix... and have a 215 engine, and may be running by march 1st :P

Murgatroy
02-10-2010, 10:43 PM
I can't help but notice that you don't have East Tennessee on that list...

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-10-2010, 10:45 PM
I should have done this when I went to New Orleans over New Years. I ripped through 2,600 miles in 5 days. Tennessee was the state I bought all my Yeungling in!

Celiblue
02-11-2010, 01:20 AM
dang, thats alot of driving

Physlis
02-11-2010, 04:45 AM
That shouldn't be too bad, it'll probly take a bit longer than that though if you make stops. I drove from Hermitage PA out to Salt Lake UT in 4-5 days goin I-80 the whole way and only stopping to rest. Recommendations are that your cruise control and A/C work. That and a long audio playlist, lol.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-11-2010, 05:12 AM
That shouldn't be too bad, it'll probly take a bit longer than that though if you make stops. I drove from Hermitage PA out to Salt Lake UT in 4-5 days goin I-80 the whole way and only stopping to rest. Recommendations are that your cruise control and A/C work. That and a long audio playlist, lol.

After my engine death near the Bonneville salt flats, 6 days in Salt Lake City; I only had 2 days to get back. The car was done early afternoon on a Monday. I drove to Kimball Nebraska on Monday. Then on Tuesday, 18 hours straight to Akron Ohio, arriving a little after 2am in the morning on Wednesday. No AC, and I don't like Cruise Control for some reason....

Every trip since then, a cake walk. 2,600 miles in 5 days, a breeze.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-23-2010, 05:13 AM
So I am setting the official start date of the trip at April 19th.

My aunt is turning 90 in Chicago that weekend, so that will be stop #1. After that, I plan to follow a similar route. Basically route 66. I've lived at both ends, might as well follow it.

Shadowlife25
03-23-2010, 05:17 AM
I am in Napa, northern California.

If your route brings you out this way let me know.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-23-2010, 02:09 PM
I am in Napa, northern California.

If your route brings you out this way let me know.

I can't promise it will be on this trip, but I will be in NorCal at least 3 times this year. I love Monterey! My gf lived in San Fran and we'l be in Sonoma and Napa at some point.

4thgenceli
03-23-2010, 02:20 PM
If you do swing by my side of down I'm always up for some BBQ'ing :P I cook a wicked ribeye.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-23-2010, 07:37 PM
If you do swing by my side of down I'm always up for some BBQ'ing :P I cook a wicked ribeye.

I never turn down seared meat over a flame. I will likely be making that swing...

4thgenceli
03-24-2010, 04:55 AM
I never turn down seared meat over a flame. I will likely be making that swing...
Hell, if you're planning on 4/19 for the trip now, that timing may fall perfectly into when I need a spare set of hands to help drop the engine in :P Mr. Mechanic Brother no longer lives with me, so I haz no hands :(

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-24-2010, 05:08 AM
I might be able to give you a little help with that. Can't take too long, my penchant for red cars extends toward my taste in women. And my gf is also my travel partner...

4thgenceli
03-24-2010, 05:12 AM
You like em fast? :P

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-24-2010, 05:21 AM
You like em fast? :P

Fast, rough, redheaded and wild with some wide-body curves never hurt...

4thgenceli
03-24-2010, 05:38 AM
om nom nom nom nom nom

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Another month blows by and I am still in Akron. I honestly think the drive will be within the next three weeks. I actually had some interviews with REAL companies. My gf and I had a heart-to-heart about getting actual, full-time jobs before moving out incase we get canned and need unemployment as a backup. She got a call from Lindsay Lohan's fashion people yesterday, who were interested in hiring her. I'm thinking she might take the job just for the stupid story.

Route is pretty much set:

Akron - -> Chicago - -> St. Louis - -> Tulsa - -> Oklahoma City - -> Amarillo - -> Albuquerque - -> Flagstaff - -> Phoenix - -> Pasadena (LA)

I am definitely taking my gf to see the glass blowing museum in Toledo, that place is awesome if anyone has been. Japanese architects SANAA designed it look like the building is all structural glass. Good picture taking, and awesome architecture. Very curvaceous.

Another thing I have been thinking about is a day trip to la Ciudad Juárez. I did a presentation on the city for a project I am working on. I am sure that stretch of highway (10) and El Paso aren't the best places to be, but I am seriously considering making the drive.

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-19-2010, 04:02 PM
I am hitting the road May 26th, or May 27th. It's time to get out of Ohio, and start my life.

TXcajunman
05-19-2010, 04:08 PM
well if ya stop in Amarillo i can show ya what little we have here.

Boycott!Swagger
05-19-2010, 08:11 PM
this thread went from travel plans..to town chat, to cooking, then to the coincidental similairities between a woman and car's sexual innuendo. How intriguing.

Shadowlife25
05-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Never a dull moment around here. :hehe:

Glad you are finally going to do it man. Best of luck.

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-19-2010, 10:29 PM
It'll be nice to finally meetup with my Cali brethren. Thanks, I'll be taking thousands of photos on the trip out west. Looking forward to getting my life back on track!

Naemion
05-19-2010, 11:33 PM
You should stop in South Bend on your way to Chicago, lol. I could probably get Tuner4life, Ryan, and VikingJZ together for it too. (Plus it's on the way to drop off the seats, lol.)

We could do a cookout and drop a couple back if ya want. Nice little dinner stop.

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Naemion:

I had to choose an early dinner with my 90 year old great aunt. She's like a grandmother to me. We just recently found out she's got lung cancer, and this may have been the last time I get a chance to see her. She's pretty awesome for 90 and being jewish. She just retired 2 years ago from working downtown Chicago in the federal building for a judge. When my life get's a lot more stable, we will definitely hang out.

Right now I am breathing a little easier after the past few days of travel. We had two deaths in the family over the weekend, so I ended up covering things that needed to be done for my parents so they could attend funerals. Great way to kick off a long trip, with your parents heading to a funeral and saying, "oh yeah, I guess we're not going to see you for awhile, good luck!"

I am typing this from a Super 8 Motel room in Miami, Oklahoma. I've been trying to avoid tourist trap looking stops, and so far so good. My 91' Celica has been tearing up the miles. Gotta say, it's been hilarious learning how to drive stick in heavy traffic. So far so good.

I should be in Tulsa in an hour or so. Blasting through Amarillo around noon and then winding up in Albuquerque this evening. Driving through the Ozarks last night in that blinding rainstorm was ridiculous, but all is well.

I'll have some pics up tonight of some of our stops, we've planned the more interesting ones west of Tulsa. I stopped at a pretty amazing classic car dealer (countryclassiccars.com (http://www.countryclassiccars.com)) north of St. Louis. If anyone wants a classic truck project, they have a couple cheap chassis' to get started in good condition.

Also, if you want to distract from my driving, my number is 330-860-3252. You can tell me how bad my last minute hood paint job turned out. It hurts on so many levels, thank you design school!

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Woke up to the sound of parrots. God I missed living in Pasadena. Memorial Day weekend is fun with all the old WWII flyovers out of Van Nuys.

Car = Filthy

Pics as promised:

Route 66 (http://picasaweb.google.com/miketcool/Route66)

Nothing like being at altitude with a nice polarizer!

Nitro_Alltrac
06-01-2010, 02:22 AM
Great pictures. It looks like it was an epic trip. Glad to hear that you made it OK.

celica9303
06-01-2010, 06:15 AM
looks like fun...wish we could have meet before you left. good luck bro you have my number if you need anything