PDA

View Full Version : MSD question

CollapsedNut
02-07-2010, 09:19 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32313

What does the 6a Ignition box do? Is it what actually creates the multi spark?

Answer myself.
Capacitive Discharge. The MSD 6A Ignition features a capacitor which is quickly charged (within one millisecond) to 460 - 480 volts and stores it until the ignition is triggered. With the Capacitive Discharge design, the voltage sent to the coil is always at full power even at high rpm's unlike conventional stock inductive ignitions which requires the coil to store and step up the voltage in between each firing which can result in a loss of power or top end miss.

Multiple Sparks. The MSD 6A produces full power multiple sparks for each firing of a plug. The number of multiple sparks decrease as your rpm's increase, however the spark series always lasts for 20 of crankshaft rotation. For rpm's above 3,000 there is simply not enough "time" to fire the spark plug multiple times, so there is only one powerful spark

klapa
02-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Yea - I used MSD ignition years ago on my 426 Hemi car - it provided a HUGE benefit over the stock ignition.

The system I used had a coil - a special Mallory coil. In addition to really improving the spark it gave me the ability to dial in the advance with a control on the dash.

jaydog82
02-08-2010, 03:59 AM
i have thought about going with msd, maybe when i have extra money.

vip09
02-08-2010, 05:17 AM
I had MSD on my Alltrac. It looked cool.

CriScO
02-08-2010, 06:34 AM
I need to update that with the cap melting issue...

There isn't any huge benefit on our cars. To me it seems to help keep the power band constant at higher RPM's and slightly helps combat the problem the 3S-FE has with the power dropping like a rock after 4500. However, I'll be the first to admit that the numbers don't add up. The stock ignition system has more than enough power to hold up to the engine's little 6k redline. It may just be me wanting it to help.

I tend to do a lot of things simply because I want to see if it will work. :D I'd like to do dyno runs with the stock ignition and the MSD, but it'll be a long time before I have the extra money for that. But I do doubt it has any benefit at that low of RPM.

I did get like 4-5 extra MPG after the initial install, but that's dropped back down to where it was before now.

jaydog82
02-08-2010, 06:47 AM
do you still work for csk/O'Reillys?

I work for kragen/O'Reillys in CA.

CriScO
02-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Yep, learning to live green. Seems like things are going to get a lot better.