PDA

View Full Version : cooling problem after waterpump replace

MUGTS
02-06-2010, 03:08 AM
decided to replace the coolant,then found problems w/the s-belt,thermostat and the water pump. So I replaced everything with factory parts. Now, after trying to burp the system like hood decals says, I have overheating problems. The radiator is cold and lower left hose is cold. Took the cap and bleeder off and put funnels in so coolant could expand and vent up the funnels. The right side got hott. 3-4x in 15 minutes it seemed like the thermostat opened and sucked the funnels and overflow bottle down, but then it came bubbling back. I let it cool and lifted the coolant bottle to try more water and repeated with the funnels. I lost track of the amount of coolant/water cause I lost coolant when I changed the water pump, but its around a gallon.
Tech at Toyota told me Celicas were a bitch to burp and usually took 3-4x to get all the air. Also the new water pumps are revised and you need to get the 4 shorter pulley bolts and 2 shorter water pump bolts to reinstall. Didnt boil the thermostat to check,wish I did. Appreciate any ideas. Mark

spunkmaster2000
02-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I ran into the same problem when I replaced my thermostat. I finally got mine working by doing the following:
1. Pulled the card up on ramps to create an incline.
2. Tied the reservoir to the hood so this it was higher then the engine
3. Massaged the left and right radiator hoses and heater hose by squeezing them over and over, and constantly topping of the flood.
4. I keep repeating this process until there were no more bubbles appearing in the reservoir; took all evening.

Hope this helps

donteatbugs
02-06-2010, 05:48 PM
you are supposed to unbolt the overflow tank and slide it over the hood latch. that keeps it over the top of the engine. ive done mine 3 times like this. works everytime. takes about 15 mins to warm up though.

DGAF
02-06-2010, 06:30 PM
you are supposed to unbolt the overflow tank and slide it over the hood latch. that keeps it over the top of the engine. ive done mine 3 times like this. works everytime. takes about 15 mins to warm up though.

I have done this procedure and found that it works great! :leghump:

MUGTS
02-07-2010, 04:30 AM
I appreciate all the help, trying again Sunday. Later

donteatbugs
02-07-2010, 04:34 AM
make sure you turn your heater on while you do it

KoreanJoey
02-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Heater to hot and fan to off.