PDA

View Full Version : Import Tuner

KM
02-05-2010, 11:21 PM
EVO Killer?
Just writing in to see if you could feature my car in your magazine. It's dedicated to my brother, who recently passed away, and I'm sure he'd be honored to see it in print. It's a '90 Toyota Celica GT, ST185. Thanks guys!
Marlon Martinez, Clifton, NJ

http://image.importtuner.com/f/31846665+w750+st0/impp_1003_03_o+1990_toyota_celica_gt+toyota_shot.j pg

Can't do a print feature, Marlon-sorry. The car's looking good, but just isn't quite ready yet . . . and we're willing to bet not a whole lot of people could relate to the fluke turbo/AWD coupe Toyota built, like, four of before turning their backs on the project altogether (no matter how much we actually like All Tracs). But since that upgraded turbo under the hood tells us yours is one of the better ones out there, we're giving you 34 seconds of fame this issue. That, and possibly the first-ever "Honorary Feature" spot on importtuner.com. Nice work!

I texted Luni as soon as I read that little snippet in the February issue of Import Tuner.
Now, these guys don't think that Celica is worthy of a print feature?
Let's give them something.

This is probably referring to Sean or Captain, but I want to see a full feature in their magazine so CelicaTech can get some publicity.

CollapsedNut
02-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Someone show them a real all trac plz omg. In my eyes they just struck down all celicas...

Luni
02-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Paging CappyPoo!

4thgenceli
02-05-2010, 11:34 PM
'fluke turbo/AWD coupe Toyota built'

KM
02-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Also note the guy's "this is a 1990 Toyota Celica GT, ST185".
They make those?

extremeskillz
02-06-2010, 12:17 AM
I'm disappointed and hopefully The Captain has some say and gets Princess in that issue now!

CriScO
02-06-2010, 12:21 AM
John was already featured in the "reader's rides" issue guys, remember? Or was that in Modified?

You all know I have an unnatural love for Celicas(like many of us), but their side makes sense when you think about it. Celicas don't sell magazines, the market is much larger for Hondas, Nissans, and Subarus.

I don't like the way they said it to hide that fact, but that's the real motivation. Their target market is teens with Civics that think they're hot shit. That isn't going to change for a while.

lburner
02-06-2010, 01:26 AM
i say fuck em.. and stop buying there shit

cms-gt4
02-06-2010, 01:50 AM
John was already featured in the "reader's rides" issue guys, remember? Or was that in Modified?

Modified also did a feature on an st185 when the first launched. I still have that issue somewhere. Its the clutch sponsored alltrac.

KM
02-06-2010, 01:52 AM
The point is to come beyond they're Civic/240 bias and show them what Celicas can do.
It's widely acknowledged that bodykits are a thing of the past, and now people want JDM. CS/RC are some of the best looking cars made, in my opinion, and a full-featured article with high-resolution images would give magazines incentive to publish, since they don't have to do all the work and get a quality feature.
I have always loved Sean's car, and Captain's is one of the best (if not the best) All Trac in the world. And if we can somehow throw the forum logo into their magazine? That'd do wonders for the community.

lburner
02-06-2010, 02:03 AM
whos that one guy that has the all trac that runs 10s?

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-06-2010, 02:36 AM
I hope they continue the Civic/240 bias. I love going to the junkyard and pulling quality Toyota parts and laughing at all the pathetic riced out messes that end up there.

My all time FAVORITE, that I wish I had a camera for, before the scavengers came for the last bits, was a Civic hatchback at upullandpay. I love piecing together how cars end up at the junkyard. For Celicas, it's a blown motor over 250k miles or a wreck. For the others, it's a self induced wreck or a project gone awry.

This Civic hatchback had pretty cheap quality fuel line hose running through the interior. It was all over the place, it almost didn't make sense. It ran from the trunk to the engine bay. Cheap strap clamps held it together at brass junctions. Under the driver seat was an oval plumbing toilet valve. It was his value-time NOS setup.

I could imagine that sad retard, hopping in his spring cut ride while the cabin filled with nitrous. It was all pink and funny before he took out that elm.

Please Import Tuner, cater to that crowd.

http://www.daapspace.daap.uc.edu/~wiglemd/fluke.jpg

Mr. Babb
02-06-2010, 03:09 AM
whos that one guy that has the all trac that runs 10s?

Pat from AT.net?

lburner
02-06-2010, 03:19 AM
yah i guess thats him.... he would be the best canidate to show these piss ant honda's what we about..

KM
02-06-2010, 04:18 AM
I'd rather someone here got the reps, not at.net

CollapsedNut
02-06-2010, 04:24 AM
http://www.daapspace.daap.uc.edu/~wiglemd/fluke.jpg

I love this!!

VikingJZ
02-06-2010, 04:34 AM
I say we get a badass picture of some of the best Celicas at the Dragon meet and send it in as a giant-ass article. Then, we can send it in to them.

You want to know a real fluke? That they're still in business. I see more badass shit on the internet than I ever do in print media. For example, I have a free subscription to Motor Trend. I used to read it religiously a few years back, but then I discovered AutoBlog, and viola! I already knew everything MT did before the mag came out.

Fuck Import Tuner

The Captain
02-06-2010, 02:00 PM
I have always loved Sean's car, and Captain's is one of the best (if not the best) All Trac in the world. .

**blush**

Thanks guys. I'm always humbled by stuff like that. To be considered like this in this community is always an honor. I'd love to see Princess in another mag. My brother has a really nice digital camera. I should take her out for some really nice pics. I just don't seem to have the eye for good photography. Maybe he'll let me use it on the dragon this year. I tried to do a magazine looking article on the last dragon run, but alas, I never finished it.

Hookecho
02-06-2010, 04:21 PM
here's a question. wasn't the celica an actual import or was it assembled is the U.S.?

donteatbugs
02-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Pat C and TJ double both have awesome alltracs thats are way beyond modified. john has the best example of a clean AT. vip09 has the best example of a failtrac

celica9303
02-06-2010, 06:30 PM
I just cancled my 4 year subscription to import tuner becaise of this fluke of a car wtf IT. Ive had a subscription for well over 8 years

The Captain
02-07-2010, 02:19 AM
vip09 has the best example of a failtrac

Ouch! lol!

cms-gt4
02-07-2010, 03:58 AM
here's a question. wasn't the celica an actual import or was it assembled is the U.S.?

Full import, built in Japan.

Murgatroy
02-07-2010, 04:05 AM
I tried to do a magazine looking article on the last dragon run, but alas, I never finished it.

I would like to see that done, the exposure would be awesome.

But it scares me too.

grayscale
02-07-2010, 06:30 AM
Cawksuckers. A fluke? Where do these guys work on this rag at? Seems I need to pay some one a visit.

grayscale
02-07-2010, 06:31 AM
KM- can you get me the name of the guy from Import Tuner that replied to that guy.

KM
02-07-2010, 06:47 AM
http://www.importtuner.com/contactus/index.html

IMPORT TUNER
2400 E. Katella Ave., 11th floor
Anaheim, CA 92806

It doesn't say who responds to the Going Postal section.

tuner4life
02-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Thats why I like Super-Street better. While they may not have much in the way of Celicas, they at least usually have an old school Toyota in the mag from time to time and are always complimenting them. No other mag ever even pays any attention to Toyota unless it is a Supra or maybe MR2.

KM
02-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Thats why I like Super-Street better. While they may not have much in the way of Celicas, they at least usually have an old school Toyota in the mag from time to time and are always complimenting them. No other mag ever even pays any attention to Toyota unless it is a Supra or maybe MR2.

They're the same company.

Flux
02-07-2010, 08:04 AM

Yeah, I like SS. Cars are to expensive for me, but its a good read usually. They actually help out on the Readers rides too. Not like Import Tuner who usually pick the car apart...

But Project Car magazine, who is also a member of the Source Interlink family, did a build with a UTI student on his hatch 184. Project Car is my favorite mag, good builds, realistic budget. Only comes out every 3 months though...:dunno:

http://i46.tinypic.com/9u6c8o.jpg

tuner4life
02-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Yeah, project car is great! i would get a subscription if they would ever get around to setting them up.

lburner
02-07-2010, 07:03 PM
it doesnt help that project car is Import Tuner too well there writers anyway...

lalojamesliz
02-07-2010, 09:03 PM
i just sent them i friendly message letting them know how we feel and i hit the "send message" 80+ times :)

dups90gt
02-07-2010, 09:04 PM
FLUKE... huh .. now I remember why I stopped buying that piece of shit mag.. I'd rather spend my money on beer..
http://lyke2drink.com/pints/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/all-about-beer.jpg

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-07-2010, 09:50 PM
FLUKE... huh .. now I remember why I stopped buying that piece of shit mag.. I'd rather spend my money on beer..

I love the panorama of Cincinnati at the bottom of that issue. If any of you guys stop by Cincinnati while I'm still there, I'll buy you a beer! That is a fantastic beer city.

Freshnicity
02-07-2010, 09:56 PM
I saw that issue. Its a nice car.

I got the issue of Modified Mag with Captns All Trac turned GT4 WRC in it. Very clean.

RIalltrac
02-08-2010, 02:43 PM
I'd rather someone here got the reps, not at.net

While thats all said and good....Pat has the sickest alltrac in the world...granted its not anywhere near stock...but it is hands down the sickest.

KM
02-08-2010, 05:40 PM
While thats all said and good....Pat has the sickest alltrac in the world...granted its not anywhere near stock...but it is hands down the sickest.

and I'll give him props when he's active here

RIalltrac
02-08-2010, 09:23 PM
and I'll give him props when he's active here

While I understand your bias towards this particular board....its still a celica and probably one of the most respected going (nothing being taken from the captains ride- the car is beautiful). You not giving him props because he's not active here is like saying Peyton Manning isnt a good QB because he doesnt play for your team......

cms-gt4
02-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Pat isn't hardly active on any forum. He tends to spend more time doing stuff with his car than posting. Two of my favorite st185s are not in the US, but I do not like them any less since they are not alltracs.

Celiblue
02-09-2010, 01:28 AM
wow that project car magazine looks like something i'd enjoy. I need to check that out

sodap0p
02-09-2010, 01:45 AM
wow that project car magazine looks like something i'd enjoy. I need to check that out

I was thinkin the same thing...except about the "All about beer" magazine

lburner
02-09-2010, 08:46 PM
remember.................. http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40501

Wicked Toys
02-09-2010, 09:08 PM
:iorofl:

They'd probably call Pat's or John's car a fluke too. Idiots.

UtahSleeper
02-09-2010, 11:46 PM
remember.................. http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40501

I NEED THAT MAGAZINE!!!!

On a side note, I am surprised anyone reads import tuner. I never really cared for its format and normally preferred Sport Compact Car, which I think is now Modified.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-10-2010, 01:03 AM
On a side note, I am surprised anyone reads import tuner. I never really cared for its format and normally preferred Sport Compact Car, which I think is now Modified.

Yeah, a guy reads Import Tuner in our office. And by read, I mean he leaves them sitting around to show others that he "reads" them. They always end up getting recycled...

Smaay
02-10-2010, 01:09 AM
im sure most of you know my collection of high powered celicas and Supra. i have contected every magazine trying to get some press and each one of them tell me to pound sand. im not a honda, EVO, or STI they dont care. its such a crappy life having the highest quality car and the lowest ratings.

i couldnt even get a wink when i mentioned that i have a 550HP 7th gen.

cms-gt4
02-10-2010, 02:17 AM
Its not easy to get featured in mags. There is a long line and a lot involved. Usually features have some way of turning revenue for the publication. A lot of the cars tends to have public sponsors. Many have sponsors that are not mentioned or plastered on their cars, but if HKS sponsored some alltrac, then it might get a feature.
I have worked in publications for several years, and I spend a bit of time on my350z.com where quite a few members have been featured in all the top mags; SCC, modified, Import tuner, etc... Most of them are sponsored by someone, and none of them are mild cars either. Being clean, or rare has less to do with it, than being profitable. If a mag can gain advertising dollars from a feature that uses a large amount of "x" sponsors parts, then that car has a better chance of being in the mag. Also the trends and sell-ability play large factors as well. If their data leads them to think that 60% of their readers drive a civic, or a lancer, then your likely going to see more feature cars under those name plates, or even same models. It causes people to pick up. Honestly, the celica name plate has been retired from the hype machine for at least a few years now, and even heavily modified Y2k celicas fair to get press. However, the gtfour converted Fensport Celica was in a mag recently. The sad truth is, that even if this new sports car toyota unveils gets the title "Celica," it still won't help us much to get press. We might see some press for the history of the Celica, and maybe even a Celica shoot out possibility, but since it will really be a suby, the aftermarket advertising will likely result in no luck for us.

I say don't worry about showing off to the world our taste in cars with mags. Just be proud that you have something that the rest of the world scratches their heads at, and will never suspect its potential. Instead, if we much show our pride, use our infinite resource... the web. Besides... print is dying a slow death.

187flatliner
02-10-2010, 06:43 PM
true words there

KM
02-11-2010, 02:10 AM
Luke from Import Tuner emailed me.

He's looking for 4 pictures and specs of any clean Celicas.

Physlis
02-11-2010, 04:02 AM
I'd submit some of mine but I know it's not mag-worthy just yet. Maybe after I do the upgrades and a few fix-ups, but even then I know there are a lot of better Celis here than mine.