PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Pedal Recall

VikingJZ
02-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Is it just me or does this seem blown way out of proportion?

METDeath
02-03-2010, 07:23 PM
I'd say so...

donteatbugs
02-03-2010, 07:35 PM
i like my pedal. it has a cable attached to it

andy
02-03-2010, 08:14 PM
mine has metal rods with linkages

extremeskillz
02-03-2010, 08:20 PM
I agree...

90CelicaST
02-03-2010, 08:58 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/01/unintended-acceleration-or-angry-customer-toyota-driver-reporte/

Video Version:
http://www.wafb.com/global/Category.asp?C=151146&clipId=&topVideoCatNo=89761&topVideoCatNoB=92715&topVideoCatNoC=151875&topVideoCatNoD=89780&topVideoCatNoE=89943&autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=4503198&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

wontondon
02-03-2010, 09:55 PM
because of this recall, i had to wait three hours at toyo to get my oil changed. i hate the general public

VikingJZ
02-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Yeah. My girlfriend's mom has a 2009 Corolla and is waiting for them to call her.

I told her the odds of it happening are probably very slim

85gtsblackman
02-03-2010, 10:42 PM
im still trying to fathom y people can just remove the matts or if car goes into hyperaccelerate mode turn the key back one click and upshift + brake till u stop

wontondon
02-03-2010, 11:04 PM
im still trying to fathom y people can just remove the matts or if car goes into hyperaccelerate mode turn the key back one click and upshift + brake till u stop

because that would make sense, and america isnt about making sense, its about overreacting.

Mr Celica
02-03-2010, 11:08 PM

the floor mats arent the problem, its the throttle and electrics themselves. and the cars its happening to mostly (prius) have a gear shifter like this :
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/vehicle-pictures/2010/toyota/prius/6056-087-gear-shifter-center-console-480.jpg

sooo.... that would be hard. and the key isn't a key, its a button that u have to hold. so if ur full throttle, u dont have the strength to put the brakes on to make it stop in time, u have no common sense to put it in neutral (if its possible in those) and you dont have the time to hold the button for a required amount, then ur pretty much f*cked.

and they don't know what to do because they can't recreate what has happened...

Nitro_Alltrac
02-03-2010, 11:51 PM
I would really like to see how this would be handled if it was Government, uh I mean General Motors.

Some of the statements coming out of Washington really make me wonder if there's not some non-domestic bashing going on as well. Don't get me wrong, Toyota has a problem, but I think the government attention and rhetoric would be some what different if it was GM or Chrysler.

The media, on the other hand, are for the most part a bunch of idiots and try to whip any story they can into a complete frenzy.

klapa
02-04-2010, 12:44 AM
On my "skakedown" cruise in my '67 Plymouth GTX 426 Hemi I broke my throttle cable because I had installed a spring that was too much.

I was lucky enough to have a telephone in my trunk that had a long cord and was able to "triple wrap" the cord and attach one end to the carburetor lever, feed the other end through a hole in the firewall, and get home with a hand operated "pull" throttle. Luckily - I had an automatic trans.

Overblown? Yep - probably - most of these things are over blown. The pedal sticks to the floor mat? Well - move the floor mat!

Some are not over blown though - the Ford thing years ago about going in reverse - I know first hand about that problem. I drove a company Ford van that would tend to go halfway between Park and Reverse when moving the column shift - you had to be careful about it because sometimes it would stay in reverse but also would start.

It really all comes down to A) Paying attention to what you are doing and B) Taking personal responsibility for your own operation of a motor vehicle.

Unfortunatly for me - there was no one to sue - because by then Chryler was under different ownership.

Else - I might just be sitting on the beach right now ....

T-spoon
02-04-2010, 01:12 AM
the floor mats arent the problem, its the throttle and electrics themselves. and the cars its happening to mostly (prius) have a gear shifter like this :
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/vehicle-pictures/2010/toyota/prius/6056-087-gear-shifter-center-console-480.jpg

sooo.... that would be hard. and the key isn't a key, its a button that u have to hold. so if ur full throttle, u dont have the strength to put the brakes on to make it stop in time, u have no common sense to put it in neutral (if its possible in those) and you dont have the time to hold the button for a required amount, then ur pretty much f*cked.

NO!

The Prius is not one of the models in question. I dunno why that comes up, I guess because it's the most "advanced" and people assume an electronic issue would be the Prius, or maybe the Prius is targeted due to popularity, I don't know... They are now questioning the BRAKING of the Prius as an unrelated possible issue.

Yes, this is blown way, way, ridiculously out of proportion. You know why? Because it's acceleration, and acceleration is the DEVIL in this country. OH NO THE CAR IS ZOOMING OUT OF MY CONTROL LIGHTSPEED OMGOMGOMG DEATH AND DESTRUCTION!!! It's stupid. They didn't even make as big a deal out of the spontaneous ford engine/electronics fires a few years ago.

We are in this position because in order to compete, car makers have made cars safer and safer and smarter, taking control from the driver because lets face it, the drivers are incompetent much of the time. How do you make driving safer without improving drivers? You build a more complex vehicle with more safety features so that WHEN they plow into something or lose control, they are safer, and down the road (literally and figuratively, heh) the cars will drive themselves to remove that human incompetency altogether. When that happens, there will be computer/electronic and mechanical errors and failures. People will die because of it, but all in all fewer people will die because the computers will make fewer errors than people. Car makers are trying to make cars that even the most absolutely unqualified driver can drive relatively safety (in terms of loss of life), but in doing so there are now chances for this kind of error. Do these errors present much of a real danger to a competant driver that is equipped to deal with a minor emergency? No. But this does not describe most of the drivers on the road today..

I predict many such uproars in the coming years as this transition to driverless cars is made. More reliance on tech, more idiots crying about minor tech failures and acting like they have no way to circumvent the error in an emergency, which will in almost all cases not be true.

In pilot training, emergency procedures are learned not because planes just fall apart constantly (in fact, I bet almost all aircraft have massively superior service records to any car), but because when an emergency happens, blaming the plane is all well and good, but having the pilot/passengers survive is paramount. It's not that way at all in a car. Most people don't even learn the most basic actions to take or not take in most driving situations, much less if there is some kind of mechanical failure, and so any kind of error/failure in the car is going to be all over the news, and because car makers have used this is a point of competition, none of them can back down now, they have to accept blame and eat the costs of fixing it, whether the problem is big or small, or even the fault of the vehicle to begin with. You build expectations and you have to live with them. People expect Toyotas to be perfect now, and now they have to live up to it. What pisses me off is to get that image part of what Toyota did is axe all their great "performance" cars. What a waste!

matteo80
02-04-2010, 02:17 AM
The US media and government are jumping in to give Toyota a good kicking because they are the number 1 car manufacturer. They're recalling 9 million vehicles, there have been reports of a problem in maybe a hundred or so vehicles.

If you don't know how to put your car in neutral or turn off the engine you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

grayscale
02-04-2010, 02:20 AM

Incorrect sir, the models in question "supposedly" date back to 2006-07ish, before this shifter was introduced.

CollapsedNut
02-04-2010, 03:46 AM
My uncle had the this happen in this 08 Tacoma. He is a expert welder, fabricator, and machinest just to get a graps of the personality of the person. He knows engines, builds drag bikes and cars.
He was going up the hill to his house and it locked wide open, smoking tires up the hill, he thought it was cool...till it wouldn't stop. He killed the ignition, checked the floor mat thinking it had gotton stuck, nope. He starts it back up and its still at WOT. Kills it again. Stomps the gas pedal a few good times, trys again. Still WOT. Said he tried that a few times with no success so he pops the hood and manually moved the throttle, its all free. Starts it again and its fine. Drives it home and calls Toyota the next day. They ask about the floor mat, he tells them how he threw it in the bed after the second try, so unless it was a super power floor mat it couldn't have been the problem. He talked on about how the kid on the phone acted like he knew all about it and it was a user mistake bla bla bla. So the next day he gets a wreaker to haul it back to the dealership, trucks only a month old at this point. They go over it and find no problems. He tells them he doesnt want it back untill they find the problem and its fixed. To wrap it up they ended up giving him full money back and he went and bought a Chevy.
I love hearing about my uncles life at Christmas, he is a fun guy. I wish I could have told it as well as he did, but Im not a pro.

85gtsblackman
02-04-2010, 03:49 AM
alright, ill stick to buying old toyotas at this point

are the new models all drive by wire?

Mr Celica
02-04-2010, 03:51 AM
the shifter is still the same... P R D N and B.

http://classic.artsautomotive.com/PriusEngineBraking_0138.jpg

and the prius IS having the problem, though not with the electronics it was one of the cars with the floormat problem. i just watched a news story about it.

T-spoon
02-04-2010, 06:52 AM
the shifter is still the same... P R D N and B.

http://classic.artsautomotive.com/PriusEngineBraking_0138.jpg

and the prius IS having the problem, though not with the electronics it was one of the cars with the floormat problem. i just watched a news story about it.

Yeah, those are two separate issues which you seemed unclear about in your first post.

My uncle had the this happen in this 08 Tacoma. He is a expert welder, fabricator, and machinest just to get a graps of the personality of the person. He knows engines, builds drag bikes and cars.
He was going up the hill to his house and it locked wide open, smoking tires up the hill, he thought it was cool...till it wouldn't stop. He killed the ignition, checked the floor mat thinking it had gotton stuck, nope. He starts it back up and its still at WOT. Kills it again. Stomps the gas pedal a few good times, trys again. Still WOT. Said he tried that a few times with no success so he pops the hood and manually moved the throttle, its all free. Starts it again and its fine. Drives it home and calls Toyota the next day. They ask about the floor mat, he tells them how he threw it in the bed after the second try, so unless it was a super power floor mat it couldn't have been the problem. He talked on about how the kid on the phone acted like he knew all about it and it was a user mistake bla bla bla. So the next day he gets a wreaker to haul it back to the dealership, trucks only a month old at this point. They go over it and find no problems. He tells them he doesnt want it back untill they find the problem and its fixed. To wrap it up they ended up giving him full money back and he went and bought a Chevy.
I love hearing about my uncles life at Christmas, he is a fun guy. I wish I could have told it as well as he did, but Im not a pro.

Amazing that he didn't go flying off the road at 130MPH in a ball of fire. Go figure.

KoreanJoey
02-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Yeah, those are two separate issues which you seemed unclear about in your first post.

There are TWO SEPARATE RECALLS. There is a floor mat/clearancing and a pedal recall. There is some overlap on it but they are NOT the same.

Galcobar
02-04-2010, 10:31 AM
The problem with sticking gas pedals is due to a design flaw -- not all Toyota pedals share this design, but many from recent years do.

To be clear, it's a design flaw due to Toyota's design. The same company, CTS, which manufactures these pedals also manufactures pedals for other car companies. Evidently, the issue is that the design allows moisture to enter the mechanism which controls the friction lever (basically, the part of the pedal which pushes back as you push down). This can lead to situations where the pedal gets stuck -- stuck up, it's an annoyance. Stuck down, it's a hazard.

The fix is to install a reinforcement -- the size of a Chiclet -- which reduces the pressure on the friction plate/lever. Toyota hasn't addressed whether this will affect pedal feel from what it is supposed to be.

The recall affects the 2009-2010 Corolla; the 2009-2010 Matrix; 2005-2010 Avalon; 2007-2010 Camry; 2010 Highlander; 2007-2010 Tundra and 2008-2010 Sequoia.

This recall is entirely separate from the winter floormat issue.

It is also separate from the issue reported with the Prius. That problem has to do with braking and some 100 complaints of brake failure between Japan and the U.S.

mannygtfour
02-04-2010, 02:45 PM
man i stay alway from the new toyota car and stay with old ones.

StattComp
02-04-2010, 04:06 PM
its all about screwin with Toyota so Ford can get into the #2 sales spot

Celiblue
02-05-2010, 02:07 AM
drive-by wire sucks. Period.

Shadowlife25
02-05-2010, 02:44 AM
drive-by wire sucks. Period.

Seems to work for all the Mazda cars that use it like the Rx-8....

Colossus20v
02-05-2010, 03:39 AM
I have a new '09 Toyota Rav4 and have not had this issue at all. Currently I am waiting to hear from my dealer to schedule to bring it in to check. I have not had any problems and will still always buy Toyota. Toyota is handling the situation and because they are informing their customers of the potential problem, the media is blowing it up and making it sound worse than it is.

Lonestag
02-05-2010, 04:29 AM
I still think it is a bunch of BS, I mean like forty times as many times were involved in a yamaha ATV accident this year then all the sticky pedal toyota situations combined.

The media is bored and the over protective soccer mom mentality is easy to cater to for the media.

Bottem line, I belive in buying a solid product and this recall has had no effect on my opinion of toyota as a superior car manufacturer.

If you get into a machine capable of killing you and others, you *DAMN WELL* better know how to deal with a small malfunction.

VikingJZ
02-05-2010, 05:06 AM
I'll still buy a Toyota. I don't think this is going to break them as a company either. I could care less whether they're the world's largest automaker or not. Its only a pitch companies use the get your business, so I'll stick to the facts.

GM ads stray me away. They don't talk about their cars, they just bash everyone else over one MPG.. I supported Chrysler until we had some major issues with our Pacifica. I'd still get a Challenger though, because that platform seems to be very good, along with a Ram for a truck. That's about it though.

But I still think Toyota has very good cars and are quite reliable.

KoreanJoey
02-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Now let's add brake issues w/ the Gen3 Prius!

85gtsblackman
02-05-2010, 08:10 AM
I supported Chrysler.....

u were retarded....

i did have the linkage for the carb on my 1st 87 truck bind and get stuck open, i think i shut it down at 110, that was interesting, dry rotted tires, dead suspension, sloppy steering box, didnt do that again

Nitro_Alltrac
02-05-2010, 10:41 PM
I whole heartedly agree that the media is blowing this WAY out of proportion. When the local news starts reporting on it, it has gone over the edge.

The media always loves a story that they can terrify the public with. Look what they did to Audi in the '80s with the unintend acceleration fiasco. There was nothing to it but it almost sank Audi, at least in then country.

As for the brake issue with the Prius, if the rest of this BS wasn't flying, I don't think this would have even been a blip on the long range scanner. There weren't that many cases to start with but now they'll come out of the wood work. The government isn't helping this matter either. They continue to throw gas on the fire. Of course they do have a vested interest since they own GM and a big chunk of Chrysler.

VikingJZ
02-06-2010, 05:35 AM
Yep.

Everyone freaking out about this doesn't realize that this certainly isn't the biggest recall in the history of the world.

Over the past thirty years or so, look how many Ford's have been recalled. Or GM vehicles. Ford especially, for fires and electrical problems.

Again, this is just blown way too far out of proportion, and the gub mint just instigates it.

Colossus20v
02-06-2010, 09:37 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/04/toyota-dealer-shows-us-fix-for-sticking-accelerator-pedals/

dups90gt
02-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Shit I just got a call for a recall on my 1991 Alltrac, they found Listeria on my gas pedal and need me to bring in all my shoes to have them replaced. I told them I'd stop eating with my feet...... geez what really pisses me off are the fucken freeloaders that they interview who are all mad at Toyota even though they were never in any real danger and seem like they want some sort of compensation or their car for free or something.. give me a break, the world has bigger problems and if your gas pedal gets stuck and you don't know what to do then you deserve to hit that tree..

ToyotaMike
02-10-2010, 02:22 PM
This is all just way over blown. So much so I made a sticker about it. Can't post it in the for sale section now but if you guys are curious here's a link to it on PSTOC.org
http://www.pstoc.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4643

KoreanJoey
02-11-2010, 05:29 AM
Nice dude.

Nitro_Alltrac
02-12-2010, 02:20 AM
:lolhitting:

KoreanJoey
02-12-2010, 03:38 AM
http://nwautoevents.com/toyota.html

Okctrd
02-12-2010, 08:25 AM
http://nwautoevents.com/toyota.html

haha those are good, but i liked the other one in the posted forum,

Toyota:
Moving foward weather you like it or not. :lmao:

KoreanJoey
02-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Prius: Nothing will stop it.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-16-2010, 03:22 AM
I am just happy to see all the stock Toyota footage on the local news.

I have seen 2 6th gen Celicas in showrooms. Man are those some outdated reels...