PDA

View Full Version : clutch replacement problem

Lucky, Volvo Driver
02-03-2010, 02:02 AM
Hey, been a while since I hung out on this board, law school and my failtastic volvo project kinda kept me from doing anything other than putting oil and coolant as needed in GT.

After 25,000 hard miles (bought it with 75k) it became time to replace the clutch. First gear was largely intact but the other 4 were toasted to varying degrees.

Took the car to the stealership I bought it from, asked 'em for a price quote, called bap, realized they were about 70bux cheaper on the parts and went from there.

What I bought from bap is the stock oem replacement (daikin) clutch kit. includes disk, bearing, and housing.

If you envision the range in which you can press the clutch pedal to be 1-10, where 1 is the pedal as it sits without pressing it, and 10 being the pedal at the floor then I would say that my old clutch required equal force to press the clutch throughout the range from 1-10, but that the clutch was fully disengaged at 9, and fully engaged at 4.5.

Now, the equal force is only applied from 1-5, and then from 5-10 there's no resistance to the pedal at all! On top of that, the clutch becomes fully disengaged at 5.2, and fully engaged at 5.

As far as I'm concerned the car is nearly undrivable now. Could this change be blamed on something the installers did? I can't afford to have the job redone if it's cuz bap's daikin clutch is somehow substantially different from what toyota would have given me.

donteatbugs
02-03-2010, 02:08 AM
sounds like you need to bleed the clutch again. i would start there. some pp act differently than others my buddys exedy stock replacement was way different than stock and was easier to press.

Lucky, Volvo Driver
02-03-2010, 02:12 AM
hmm okay. well it's dark outside and I'm not gonna do it myself since I paid them to do it. Guess it's back to the dealership for me tomorrow afternoon.

Shadowlife25
02-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Bleed the system again and then inspect and adjust the pedal engagement point in the cabin. << This should always at least be checked when you install a new clutch assembly.

Lucky, Volvo Driver
02-03-2010, 05:54 PM
took it to a yota shop next to school after leaving the dealership this morning.

'ship response was: looks and feels good to me!

shop response was: pedal adjustment is obviously wrong, they need to adjust per the manual and that means starting by setting clutch pedal height even with brake pedal. Oh and engagement point is far too high!

Shadowlife25
02-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Bleed the system again and then inspect and adjust the pedal engagement point in the cabin. << This should always at least be checked when you install a new clutch assembly.

took it to a yota shop next to school after leaving the dealership this morning.

'ship response was: looks and feels good to me!

shop response was: pedal adjustment is obviously wrong, they need to adjust per the manual and that means starting by setting clutch pedal height even with brake pedal. Oh and engagement point is far too high!

What did I say... ;)

donteatbugs
02-03-2010, 07:25 PM
i always bleed it good then adjust the pedal. my pedal was off a little bit when i bought the car. i adjusted it and love it now.

Lucky, Volvo Driver
02-04-2010, 08:19 AM
it took calling the ship's general manager to get it straightened out but I've got an appointment to have it done tomorrow.

I shouldn't have had to call the gm but when the service dudes say "bring it in and we'll look at it when we can" in answer to my question of what would be a good time...yeh.