PDA

View Full Version : Where to get camber bolts/kit for ST165?

id0l
02-02-2010, 01:53 AM
My alignment is pretty off on my ST165 and I can see negative camber on the wheels. Where do I get a camber kit/bolts for the 4th gen 'trac? I read about Whiteline (looked on website; couldn't find them) or Noltec (website no longer exists?).

Then I found these camber bolts (http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?&make=Ingalls&model=FastCam+Bolt&group=FastCam+Bolt&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Celica+All-Trac&autoYear=1988&autoModClar=&partNum=NI81270&perfCode=S) (Ingalls) at tirerack.com...but it doesn't list the size of them in millimeters so I am unsure (it says front OR rear, are they the same size on the 4th gen 'trac?)...also one is $22 each and the other is $11, difference being adjustability of 2 degrees vs. 1 degree.

Recommendations? :)

Also, there is some play in the steering wheel (think 'deadzone' when comparing to a video game using a steering wheel), in which you can turn it left or right a bit and the tires don't move...maybe an inch either direction...is this normal? Will alignment fix this issue? I know getting the alignment done will fix my steering wheel being all cockywompus (the wheel is about 1/4 turn to the left while driving straight) but I am unsure about the play in the wheel.

4thgenceli
02-02-2010, 02:49 AM
Gonna move this to the Suspension forum as you may get better answers there, sorry I'm not sure of any producers of said parts for a gen4.

88st165
02-02-2010, 02:53 AM
You can use crash bolts from toyota. I use them and so do many others. The plus side of them is that you can torque them to factory spec. You cannot do that to alot of those camber bolts.

KoreanJoey
02-02-2010, 03:50 AM
Honestly you'd probably be fine with Eibach or H&R camber bolts, they work fine.

www.tirerack.com

id0l
02-02-2010, 04:02 AM
Honestly you'd probably be fine with Eibach or H&R camber bolts, they work fine.

www.tirerack.com

The only thing that comes up available for my car on tire rack are the ingalls...88 alltrac

You can use crash bolts from toyota. I use them and so do many others. The plus side of them is that you can torque them to factory spec. You cannot do that to alot of those camber bolts.

Happen to have a part number? Or should I just ask the service desk at Toyota for "crash bolts" lol

88st165
02-02-2010, 04:25 AM
............Part number.....Size.....Change
Big size__90105-15004__13.9___+/- 0.25
Middle___90105-15005__13.3___+/-0.50
Small____90105-15006__12.8___+/-0.75

If you really need ALOT of adjustment then you should prob use one of those camber kits.

id0l
02-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Thanks a lot 88st165. So going by that the smallest one gives the most adjustment. I suppose I could start there. Does each wheel need one or two bolts? I need the negative camber closer to zero on all four wheels. So x4 or x8 for all wheel alignment?

88st165
02-02-2010, 02:00 PM
I only use 1 bolt per side but if you use two bolts you get even more adjustment. The smallest ones give alot of adjustment. I would suspect that if you needed the smallest ones to get it to zero camber that something is of issue with your suspension. Oh and these bolts are pretty cheap. Like $2-3ea last time I bought some.

id0l
02-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Oh no, the negative camber isn't that bad, but the st165 is going to be my daily driver, so I want the tires to last. It needs an alignment stat though to fix the crooked steering wheel issue...just want to get the most adjustable ones installed now on this alignment so I won't have to worry about it in the future as they will already be installed.

Looks like I will get 8x the smaller bolts and matching nuts for the all-wheel alignment.

Do you know what the factory torque specs are for these bolts/what I should torque them to? I read about the camber slipping out of spec if not torqued correctly. Looking to avoid that. :)

Thanks again 88st165.

88st165
02-02-2010, 10:40 PM
BGB says 188ft-lbs. I have never had any problems with the bolts slipping, even when autox'ing. You might potentially encounter slipping if you were running rcomps but even my buddy who runs rcomps on his mr2 never had any issues.

id0l
02-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Good deal, I will torque them all to 188ft/lbs front and rear then. You're the man 88! Also good to hear that I shouldn't have to worry about slipping.

mike325ci
02-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Toyota "Crash Bolts" > Aftermarket Camber Bolts.
Not only can you torque them to factory specs-- they don't slip. Aftermarket ones, even if you torque them more than factory specs, will slip if you drive hard (autocross hard, in my experience). So always go with the crash bolts. Also much much cheaper option.

Yes, you can put two on each strut housing, but normally you put it on just the top one and "push" the wheel hub in or out to adjust your camber. It should be enough. The 3-Dot (smallest one-- called that way cos there are literrally three dots on the head of the bolt) should be sufficient for most people.

I know you have an ST165, but here is how you install one on a ST185 (my car, front):
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_fRV-KJVYnS8/S3nvEMmvAJI/AAAAAAAASuQ/Jeac8AcflI0/s800/IMG.2010.02.14.12.jpg

Also, regarding the "dead" steering-- that suggests to me a few things that need replacement because they are worn (in order of likeliness of being the culprit):
1) Tie rod ends --> (My guess is it's most likely this.)
2) Steering Rack bushings
3) Ball Joints