PDA

View Full Version : 7afe in a 90 Gen 5.

marty1mc
01-31-2010, 11:46 PM
Hi, I own two Celicas, both 92's. I recommended a Gen 6 for my buddy to get for his daughter. We changed the clutch, he got laid off the next week and she totalled the car by hydroplaning into the back of a truck.

Now, I am trying to get him back up. I found a 90 Celica with a blown motor (4afe) and want to swap his 7afe into it. When we changed the clutch, I noticed his crossmember and rear mount were much different.

My question is, has anyone successfully done this swap? I have read through several posts, that is seems possible. But, he can't waste money on this if it won't work. Just trying to help a friend. I can make the electrical work, just wondering if the mechanical will be the downfall.

Thanks,

Marty

Colossus20v
01-31-2010, 11:53 PM
It should swap right in. With both engines being "A" Series, then the mounts should be the same. The exhaust should be pretty close but you may need to get a connecting pipe made by an exhaust shop depending on the length. You will need to do the electrical and use the 7afe's ECU but other than that you should be fine.

I don't know of anyone swapping the 7a into their 5th gens but it should be fine.

85gtsblackman
02-01-2010, 03:18 AM
i was gonna do this on my 91stx but i was gonna use the 4afe head on the 7afe block

klapa
02-01-2010, 03:30 AM
i was gonna do this on my 91stx but i was gonna use the 4afe head on the 7afe block

Just wondering cuz I don't know so much about this - why would you consider to use the 4AFE head on the 7AFE?

andy
02-01-2010, 04:42 AM
higher compression

marty1mc
02-01-2010, 05:23 AM
I may have to find this out eventually. I gave him a link to a gen 6 in great shape with a blown motor. He is going to check it out tomorrow. If that fails, the next option is another one is ok shape, but lousy paint. After that, we start looking at Gen 5's. The first Gen 5 has a blown motor, but in great shape for under $500.

85gtsblackman
02-01-2010, 10:43 AM
mainly due to the wiring aspect would be easier, i never did get around to it though, dunno if it would work, i dont see why not, easy way would be to look at both headgaskets and see if the cooling/oil holes line up

edit, get the 6th gen, as far as the fwd models go the 6th gen is alot better in every aspect imo

grayscale
02-01-2010, 12:13 PM
edit, get the 6th gen, as far as the fwd models go the 6th gen is alot better in every aspect imo

I would have to agree with that, particularly when it comes to daily drivers.

marty1mc
02-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I agree as well. I like the Gen6 the best, even though I own two Gen 5's. The 1.6L engine is horrible for power, laughable really. Turn on the AC and you might as well walk. The Gen 6 is a much nicer looking car too.

But, my neighbor is unemployed with 3 teenage drivers. He has to get this car either up and running (tons of work) or find something cheap Gen 5 or 6. The car he is checking on now is a 97, not running, for $900. I think we could get the price down a little and swap his motor/trans into it. Since the new one is an auto, we have a few other things to do as well to convert it to manual.

All of that is pretty easy, wiring is straight forward. Only have to bypass the clutch switch, I think I need to find a 12v source and tap into it. I have a set of FSM for it, so it won't be hard to figure out.

Right now, his kids are using his truck to go back and forth to work/school. It's using it up and he will need it.