PDA

View Full Version : ST165 black soot coming from exhaust

id0l
01-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Hey guys! Just bought an '88 ST165 here locally, and I've already had the luxury of blowing the radiator and trying to find a replacement..but that story is for another day...lol (luckily read about the ASI rad's, got one in the mail).

This specific problem has been evident since I bought the car, about a week ago. I can smell fuel, it get's pretty crappy gas mileage (when I'm driving conservatively still), and black watery soot comes out of the tail pipe when I start/idle the car. I read it could be from running rich, which sounds about right considering these symptoms, and my question to you guys is what should I check first? I'm no mechanic but I can do some work here and there - on the outside of the motor, anyways. Or I could take it to a mechanic - problem there is I'm not sure who to take it to and nobody would have parts anyways.

The car has some mods (ct26 rebuilt with .46 trim 8-vein compressor, TurboXS manual boost controller, a few others I will list later), and lots of work done (will also list later tonight).

Thanks for any help, I heard from a fellow ex-celica owner/long-time friend that this forum was good. Attempting to post on alltrac.net as well, however a moderator still has not "approved" my registration...grrr...:hsughno:

Galcobar
01-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Ignition first.

Shadowlife25
01-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Have you tried pulling your plugs and reading them?
That would be the first thing I'd do, just to be sure of the fueling condition.

4thgenceli
02-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Yeah, sounds like a basic tuneup is in order (plugs, wires, etc).

id0l
02-01-2010, 03:46 AM
Ok guys, first of all thanks for the input so far.

I haven't had a chance to pull the plugs or check the distributor or anything yet but I will do that soon. Also a check engine light has come on a few times while driving (stays on until I turn the motor off and on again). Haven't checked the code but I have a friend with a handheld scanner, I'll have to have him come over and check it for me.

Supposedly the plugs, wires, timing belt, dizzy and rotor amongst other things are new.

Here's a list of things that were done about 5k miles ago:

Rebuilt CT26 with .46 trim 8 vein compressor, exhaust manifold, heater hoses, radiator hoses, turbo oil return line, turbo coolant intake line, serpentine belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, oil pump, main engine mounts, radiator cap, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, front wheel bearings, steering rack, shift cables, intercooler pump, intercooler heat exchange, Greddy Type S blow off valve, TurboXS manual boost controller, oem driver's seat, battery cables, battery terminals (battery is relocated into trunk), main relays and fuses, alternator, alternator wiring harness, aluminum rear differential mount, oil pan gasket, water pump gasket, oil pump gasket, valve cover gasket, cam seals, plug seals, fresh oil and coolant. New battery, brakes, clutch, spark plugs (denso iridium), oil pan gasket, front crankshaft seal, timing cover seal, oil pump seal, repaired radiator lol which is now broken, new thermostat, tranny fluid, axle fluid/oil, camshaft seal, turbo to oil pan hose, timing belt, harmonic balancer, engine oil/filter.

ChrisD
02-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Welcome!

Also, add a new O2 sensor to the list. If yours is toast, this should help significantly. But they do run very rich from the factory, which tends to coat your exhaust with carbon and spit it out at idle...esp when cold.

I wouldn't take it to a mechanic, save yourself the money and learn while you're at it. Lots of people here to help if you ever have questions!

RedRkt01
02-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Welcome to the board! I'm glad 4th Gen activity is being revitalized!

id0l
02-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys! Just got off the phone with the local Toyota dealership, they want $106 just to diagnose the CEL...highway robbery! Lol. I'll do the manual method myself for free, thanks...

Also...and I just saw this while taking engine bay pics...there are 2 wires coming from the bundled wires from the diagnoses box in the engine bay. Both of these white wires are BARE on the end as in not connected to anything with copper wires protruding from the rubber sleeves (a little disconcerting)...however, there are 2 other white wires, ends wrapped in electrical tape, sitting very close to these. Not sure if they are supposed to be connected? One wire goes into the firewall, and the other wraps around the back side of the motor, and ends up on the passenger side...where it ends and isn't connected to anything! Again however, there is another white wire that comes from the "manifold sensor" plug that ends and is connected to nothing, right near the passenger side white wire...it has a red rubber heatshrink sleeve at the end.

I have attached some pictures to show what I'm talking about...the red lines are the wire paths...any help on this would be EXTREMELY appreciated...I don't just want to go connecting wires together that aren't supposed to be connected! Or be there at all!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/fodo_gsr/wirepath1.png

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/fodo_gsr/wirepath2.png

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/fodo_gsr/wirepath3.png

Rick89GTS
02-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Welcome to the site :)

id0l
02-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Thank you :D

rizin
02-09-2010, 02:41 AM
That type of wire routing is kind of scary. First thought is they wired something in after market or a temp fix then didn't clean it up.

id0l
02-09-2010, 11:28 PM
That type of wire routing is kind of scary. First thought is they wired something in after market or a temp fix then didn't clean it up.

Haha, exactly, this is why I was hoping someone might know what these wires are for, etc. I know very, very little about the electrical/wiring when it comes to cars...(computers are a whole different story) :)