PDA

View Full Version : Easier with or without AC?

4thgenceli
01-28-2010, 07:13 PM
To install an engine.

I notice that the AC compressor takes quite a bit of room up. I'm curious if removing the AC makes it easier to install and remove the enigne if it's not bolted up.

I'm aware that pulling the radiator is nearly a must for installation. I'm trying to avoid having to put any belts on after installing the engine in the bay.

Amaymi
01-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Depends on what your working on and if the a/c system has a charge or not. If its a 4th, 5th or 6th gen celi and the system has a charge I just unbolt the pump from the motor and put it to one side being careful not to kink or bend any hoses. If its one of these gens and the pump is already completely disconnected I'd stab the motor in with out the pump attached and bolt it on afterward. The only car or truck that i've had to completely remove the pump in order to remove and install the motor was a 2003 V6 Hyundai Tiburon; and I've done a lot of motor pulls.
I've also never found the need to remove the radiator in order to remove or install a celica motor if care is taken and the acc. are removed.

andy
01-28-2010, 10:12 PM
remove it, usually you can just let it hang over the side.

acidice333
01-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Ditto..

I just strap a bungee cord on it and let it hang out of the way.

Altho why I didn't remove it before hand I dont know since I decided to change out all the seals after the engine was in and that was sort of a pain in the ass.

4thgenceli
01-29-2010, 01:41 AM
Yeah my gen4 is just hanging inside the engine bay right now. I'll just leave it, and bolt it up later... heh.

I'm pulling the radiator because I'm replacing it anyway :)