PDA

View Full Version : Need a new set of tires...

Murgatroy
01-28-2010, 01:25 AM
I have tried several brands over the years, and I was rather fond of Toyo Proxes FZ4s when they were still around. I haven't tried the new version of these tires. Toyos are hard to come by around here.

I have tried Hankooks, Ventus IIs I think, and they wore way to fast and didn't impress me one way or the other.

I currently have some Yokohama Parada Spec IIs, and frankly, they suck balls. They suck in the wet, they wear out faster than anything I have seen and I don't think I will try them again even if they were free.

I am looking for something that comes in a 205/40/17 flavor, and I was just wondering what you guys like.

I want to stay around the $100 a tire range, as I am not able to devote a massive amount to tires this year. Frankly, I would like a tire that would last more than a year, but I am not too greedy.

I am an aggressive driver that expects a fair amount from my tires. I will push them beyond the limits of what a 'normal' driver would on the commute back and forth to work, however, they will also see daily use.

KM
01-28-2010, 01:47 AM
Mine's wrapped in Kumho Ecsta's. I'd definitely recommend them. You have no idea how much I torture my tires.
They drove perfectly doing 90 coming back from TN when I bought the car, and it was shitstorming.
I don't remember when they were installed (receipt is in the glovebox, I can look) but they've lasted this long and still haven't shown any wear. Granted, I rotate my tires maybe every two weeks on habit.

sodap0p
01-28-2010, 07:39 PM
I had Falkren's on my celica when I bought it, the tires were bald, but seemed better than these BF Goodrich traction T/A's with almost full tread.
I like Nitto and Toyo too, and I have Nokian on my truck, they work really well. I used to swear by Bridgestone RE71's but times have changed.

Galcobar
01-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Mine's wrapped in Kumho Ecsta's.

Which of the seven Ecsta's are you running? The term refers to Kumho's entire performance line.

Slider
01-28-2010, 08:45 PM
For the price I really like my Fuzion ZRi. IIRC Bridgestone makes them. Perfect for someone who likes to push the car a little more and performs just as well as some higher priced tires http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=97 The sidewalls were a little soft for autocross but for aggressive street driving they're perfect.
I also heard good things about the Falken Ziex tires but I haven't tried them myself, they seem like a good budget tire also.

METDeath
01-28-2010, 09:33 PM
I have run my current Kumho Excsta ASTs for about two years now, I'm going to replace them either with a completely new wheel tire combo or just go with the same ones. I'm running 215/40/17, but they come in 205s as well.

Okctrd
01-29-2010, 12:49 AM
I have run my current Kumho Excsta ASTs for about two years now, I'm going to replace them either with a completely new wheel tire combo or just go with the same ones. I'm running 215/40/17, but they come in 205s as well.

when i had my 17's i bought these (kumho excsta AST) and i liked them, that when i switched over to 16's i got another set.

it's been a year and a half and they still look like new. (prob put 5k on them though.

There were not bad at about $60 a tire.

KoreanJoey
01-29-2010, 01:33 AM
Dunlop Direzzas. If you want the extra grip get the Star Specs. If you want a little more life stick with the non-star specs.

Probably the best bang for you buck tire out there right now.

Murgatroy
01-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Those Dunlops don't look bad.

I would have to move up to a 215/40/17 though. I don't think I will have any clearance issues with coil-overs and a 40mm offset on my 7" wheels either.

I think I may go that way.

METDeath
01-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Murg, I'm running a non coilover setup with 215/40/17s. Fits just fine on my car.

Murgatroy
01-30-2010, 02:08 PM
drive slower save money

Hehe. That is normally my line.

Irony.

I do drive slow.

I do the speed limit.

However, due to certain loopholes and oversights, I can do the speed limit, while still driving very aggressively.

There is one special time a year that I don't do the speed limit, and IMO, it is worth dumping $2k into my car for that special time. ;)

METDeath
01-30-2010, 10:57 PM
"So you know the dangers of this road then."

KoreanJoey
01-31-2010, 04:15 AM
There is one special time a year that I don't do the speed limit, and IMO, it is worth dumping $2k into my car for that special time. ;)

Funny as I spend that in tires every year...

Nitro_Alltrac
01-31-2010, 04:16 AM
I've run both the Kuhmo AST's and ASX's. Both are really good tires, handle well and get pretty good tread life. The prices from Tire Rack are good as well.

GTAsian
02-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Yokohama S. Drives ftw! I'm running a 205/40/17. Good treadwear, good wet&dry traction, low noise, it's perfect for someone who daily drives the car as well as going on mountain cruises. I highly recommend them.

grayscale
02-02-2010, 12:21 PM
General (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=205%2F&ratio=40&diameter=17&x=89&y=4)

Hands down one of the best tires I have ever used for all around performance. Excellent wear, almost perfect user reviews all the time. You can read all about the company on TireRack also. Check out some of their tests against other tires also, you will be very surprised by what they found.

Galcobar
02-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Only issue I can see is the General Altimax in your link, grayscale, are rated at 80H -- which is below stock load ratings.

KoreanJoey
02-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Load ratings don't really mean shit unless you're planning on towing something...