PDA

View Full Version : painting/ paint scheme for the beater

85gtsblackman
01-26-2010, 05:50 AM
ok so im about half sick of looking at my 6th gen thats 3 differnt shades of red, but the black nose has grown on me with the red, i like the head on look of it especially.

now im debating a few ways to repaint said car

soild red, im cursed with this and will probally end with an accident

leave the nose colors as is, repaint the bumper and hood black due to the millions of chips in the paint, repaint rest of said car red

klapa
01-26-2010, 06:18 AM
Black all the way - and make sure to use spray cans of Rustoleum bought at Wal-Mart for extra emphasis on the basic "nothing to lose" architecture.

85gtsblackman
01-26-2010, 06:28 AM
i thought about shooting it black, but i have a black car and truck, they suck to keep clean, plus i have a black interior, and i live in moisturized hell (florida)

if anything id paint it high gloss metallic silver pearl (this would be very expensive yet look almost like chrome)

i dont think ill rattle can it, i have a 20 gallon air compressor, ill probally get a gun and some paint, unless i cheap out and take it to macco.

Nitro_Alltrac
01-27-2010, 01:29 AM
Joe, I did mine for less than it would have cost at Maaco and I use base/clear. At least at Maaco here, you're looking at single stage for their cheaper paint jobs. If I remember correctly, I had less than $300 in material for my car. Actual around $250 or so. I think my prep work is close to what I would have gotten at Maaco. Think about it.

85gtsblackman
01-27-2010, 05:04 AM
did u shoot your own car, what brand paint did u get?

Nitro_Alltrac
01-27-2010, 05:45 AM
Yes, I did mine back in September. I've got details in my project thread. I used the fleet brand from Shermin Williams. I think it was called Dimension. It is made more for all over painting and less for panel repair. It went on really well. I've got some details about the gun I used and such in the thread. Here's the link.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43404

85gtsblackman
01-27-2010, 06:06 AM
damn, i just read what u did, ill probally go the same route, only body fixing i gotta do is get hinges for the hood i think mine are tweeked, fix this one spot by the rear bumper and a bondo crac on the roof, then prep and go from there.

now how exactly did u mix your paint with thinner?

geebes
01-27-2010, 06:18 AM
You could do some mcdonnalds theme car, or a cereal of some sort...I hear that is popular down south.

85gtsblackman
01-27-2010, 06:19 AM
lemme put some chrome plated 20's on it as well

btw u forgot i migrated here

Nitro_Alltrac
01-27-2010, 01:46 PM
The paint mixing is pretty straight forward. Each one (the color and the clear) mix a particular ratio to the reducer. For the clear I used, I think is was 2 parts clear to one part reducer. The color was like 3 parts color to 2 parts reducer. I forget the exact numbers. For what every brand and type of paint you get, the vendor should have the spec sheet. It will tell you what you need. They should have mixing cups there that have the ratios on them. That makes mixing it up really easy.

When you get ready to mix the paint and reducer together, just stir the color up really good till it looks consistent. After that, put your color in the mix cup to what ever level you need and then add the reducer to the correct level and stir again. Then you're ready to put it in the gun.

85gtsblackman
01-27-2010, 05:38 PM
where did u get the paint and clear? how much of each did u use?

Nitro_Alltrac
01-28-2010, 12:28 AM
I got the paint from Shermin Williams. I used two quarts of color for the whole car and about the same for the clear. The clear came in a gallon can and I used about half of it.

geebes
01-29-2010, 06:13 AM
lemme put some chrome plated 20's on it as well

btw u forgot i migrated here

Hehe...herrafrush.

You could always try doing the matte black vinyl on the entire car. I really like that look!

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/7/3/7/header_gtr.jpg

85gtsblackman
01-29-2010, 06:23 AM
ive debated putting marvin the martian's eyes on the hood, or super mario

geebes
01-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Do it!

85gtsblackman
02-04-2010, 03:52 AM
i think the eyes would look meaner

ill put bullet bill or something on the door, j/k

Celiblue
02-05-2010, 01:16 AM
flat black with the murdered out look all the way around

85gtsblackman
02-05-2010, 04:19 AM
flat black actally collects moisture, and looks like shit, i like my car to shine