PDA

View Full Version : Engine bay cleaning

PittsburghCeli
01-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Just don't put cold water on a hot engine otherwise you risk cracking the engine somewhere usually at bolt heads! I have seen it. I use purple power and a garden hose and do it with the engine off and cold.

Spray purple power or whatever degreaser you like on areas you want to clean. You want to clean all of the fluid reserviors and caps so you can read them and open them cleanly. Get crazy and lay under the car to spray the back of the engine? Small and big brushes are good for digging/scrubbing off the dirt and grease. Paper towels will help also. Let that soak for 5-10 minutes and rinse with a garden hose.

Do not spray degreaser on engine bay body PAINT! Do not spray the alternator, battery positive, fuses, sensors or any wires. I have done it to many cars and some don't start for a while after but once something dries out they all have started. It seems after I clean my engine bay my celi will not start immediately and when it does, it will bog out around bends for a while until something dries and I know it dries faster if I pull more Gs around bends.

I believe the correct tool is really a spot steamer and a towel, if ya got a good one that will kick out steam for an hour.

I have used aluminum polish on the collector guard and valve cover (not the lettering), after the photo was taken btw, just an example. Then finish with armor-all or whatever for the engine bay rubber and the engine bay is back to looking new.

My 5th gen engine bay. (http://home.comcast.net/~jasonbuterbaugh/pwpimages/DSCF0553.JPG)