PDA

View Full Version : Giving my trusty'ol celica a new paint job!

Chuck
01-24-2010, 02:10 AM
So maybe this slow economy might actually prove to be a small blessing! :bowdown:

Through a mutual friend I heard of a guy that works an auto body shop. According to him works is slow right now and he is in dire need of work. I talked to him today and he said he would paint my car for $180 for labor. I am not sure how much professional paint jobs usually cost... but $180 sounds dirt cheap to me. That includes prep work, trunk, inside of doors, engine compartment, and all the metal window moldings (that are starting to look pretty bad on my car).

I want to stay true to the stock colors offered for the 4th generation Celicas. So my initial thought was to keep the car black (202). However, I saw an All-Trac (on ebay, the one with 74k miles) with Dark Blue Pearl (8E3) and man is that color hot...

I am probably going to go with the Dark Blue Pearl, but i'd like to hear what some of you think. :)

wontondon
01-24-2010, 04:29 AM
Whoa whoa wait. So you're saying he will paint it for 180+supplies total?! If so where in cali is this? I's gots two cars that need paint/clear.

Also if you already have black, why not keep it? Its a beautiful color if you can keep it clean.

4thgenceli
01-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Yeah no crap.

I'll trailer my car to cali to have it repainted!

Paint jobs range (depending on work needed) from 400-???????. On my wife's mazda, it was 1600 alone just to paint the full drivers side, and blend it in with the hood/roof/trunk and bumpers.

Rick89GTS
01-25-2010, 04:42 AM
$180?!
Unless he's a good friend, that's too good to be true. He can't even cover his supplies for that, let alone labour, door jambs, engine compartment, etc. I don't mean to sound negative, but I've seen cheap paint jobs before and well, they look like crap. I hope I'm wrong on this....good luck.

klapa
02-01-2010, 03:07 AM
Yea - if it seems too good to be true - then IT IS.

Even a dirt cheap baked Earl Shive job will cost you at least $600 these days - and that will look like a turd on a plate.

no way can this be real.

KM
02-01-2010, 03:26 AM
$180?!
Unless he's a good friend, that's too good to be true. He can't even cover his supplies for that, let alone labour, door jambs, engine compartment, etc. I don't mean to sound negative, but I've seen cheap paint jobs before and well, they look like crap. I hope I'm wrong on this....good luck.

Read again.
LABOR is $180.

klapa
02-01-2010, 03:32 AM
OK - that makes more sense - make sure to buy the paint yourself and get hardener because prob no bake job here.

Rick89GTS
02-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Read again.
LABOR is $180.
Regardless, $180 labour for, and I quote, "...That includes prep work, trunk, inside of doors, engine compartment, and all the metal window moldings..." is pretty unreal.