PDA

View Full Version : Transmission mounts filled with window poly

PittsburghCeli
01-24-2010, 01:13 AM
I bought new front and rear tranny mounts today from autozone and filled them with polyurethane window sealant which is permanently flexible and has a 50 year life so they should be a little stiffer maybe a lot and never wear out. I still need to install them. The product cost $6 at the home depot. It wasn't the most flexible stuff but the other poly stuff seemed like it would a little too flexible so I went with this high performance window poly which only came in white.

http://home.comcast.net/~jasonbuterbaugh/pwpimages/DSCF0745.JPG

I had to clean preservative wax off the rubber so the stuff would stick.

http://home.comcast.net/~jasonbuterbaugh/pwpimages/DSCF0739.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~jasonbuterbaugh/pwpimages/DSCF0740.JPG

I used rubber gloves and a piece of straight cardboard to smooth off the excess

http://home.comcast.net/~jasonbuterbaugh/pwpimages/DSCF0736.JPG

Let that dry, do the other side and install them, my front is really bad.

KM
01-24-2010, 01:52 AM
Does that work?
My mounts look like they're close to shot. Everything feels fine, but I don't want to let it get worse. I was thinking about buying new mounts or inserts.
This is my daily driver, and I need something that feels smooth.

METDeath
01-24-2010, 02:31 AM
Yeah, it works, he's just the first guy I've seen take pictures of it, and spring for new mounts.

PittsburghCeli
01-24-2010, 02:44 AM
I will let you know. New front mount is $35 and rear is $54 from autozone. It probably won't be dry until tomorrow then I can do the other side. This stuff is really tacky after 3 hours because of the thickness I believe.

Mine is sagging so bad in the front that it is affecting my acceleration. I will post updates.

METDeath
01-24-2010, 05:40 AM
Give it at least two days to dry, maybe three.

85gtsblackman
01-24-2010, 06:22 AM
the write up long ago said use the black/brown window sealer and let it dry for 3 days or put it in the overn for 3-5 hours, have no idea at what temp though

Shadowlife25
01-24-2010, 09:10 AM
The color of it is not what matters. It is the SHORE rating (60/80/90..) That is a direct indication of the hardness level of the polyurethane.

I posted a graphical scale long ago that depicted the different hardnesses of this stuff and their equivalencies. I will have to dig around to find the photo again.

I would absolutely not bake this stuff. If you have a spare oven, perhaps. By no means in one that you cook food in though.
I also am not sure of how heating it would affect it's actual composition, as it cures through a chemical reaction not an external heat source.

I also agree that you should leave it for at least 3 days. Maybe as many as 5 if it is particularly cold in your area right now. This stuff cures best at temps above 55deg F.

- Mario

PittsburghCeli
01-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Yeah, it's still drying! Dry enough to do the other side though. I put it on the radiator last night which gets about 180 degrees sometimes and my house is always over 75 degrees so any day now they should be dry.

I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference because once I install them, the polyurethane is going to bulg and squish out the sides a little, depending on how hard the stuff is and I don't think it's that hard to really make a noticable difference, but they should at least last longer and be a little bit stiffer. I will probably get the the poly mounts from redrocket when the money gets better.

I was hoping to install them tomorrow being my day off, but if they are not dry I will just have to wait. I just can't stand the way my car is driving right now because of the bad mount in the front. I have to rev it higher before letting out the clutch or it bogs down/hesitates.

85gtsblackman
01-25-2010, 04:22 AM
pending on the hardness you may feel more vibration, but less wheel hop

i had solid engery suspension mounts on my gts before i pulled the engine, i hated em , vibrated way too much

grayscale
01-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Actually, there will be a noticeable difference.
1- You've just increased the amount of damping material in the mount twofold or more, thus giving it less flexability.
2- The oem rubber in the mounts is formed in the shape it is for a reason- the gaps and thickness differences allow the rubber to flex in predictable directions to provide sufficient damping without excess vibration.
You will feel more vibration by filling them, particularly by filling new ones. The idea behind filling old ones is to restore some of the strength and rigidity of the worn out rubber while sacrificing a little comfort.

donteatbugs
01-25-2010, 09:51 PM
i have the speed source mount inserts. very stiff, just the way i like it.

ChrisD
01-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I use PL Construction adhesive. Have had it for 5 years or so now and holding up fine. Very stiff.

$5 at home depot.

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/f86dc244-a0fb-4262-a6a6-ef83dbbe5dea_4.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/IMG_0339_small.jpg

METDeath
01-26-2010, 02:21 AM
I've got some Typ3 RedRkt mounts on the way...

Kanoodle
01-26-2010, 02:55 AM
Luni has filled dead mounts more than once, in fact he filled pearljammzz dead mounts on his 91 N/A MR2 and it revived them. I am going to fill my motor mounts with window weld before completing my swap. They are in good shape but I wouldn't mind stiffening them up while prolonging the life of them.

KoreanJoey
01-26-2010, 04:56 AM
I tried it on mine but I guess my mounts were still too dirty as the poly blew out in about a week.

PittsburghCeli
01-28-2010, 04:05 AM
I use PL Construction adhesive. Have had it for 5 years or so now and holding up fine. Very stiff.

$5 at home depot.

I saw that stuff but it looked like it would be a little too stiff, they also had the PL roofing poly and it was the most flexible. I just hope the stuff I got is stiff enough. I don't think it will blow out after it dries but it's definitely going to flex and bulge outward, but that's ok because it's supposed to be permanently flexible for 50 years. Some like it stiff!:spank:

They are taking forever to dry! The mounts are a little over halfway dry after 4 days. I poked a pin into the mass and it and came out wet, but each day it does get harder. This weekend they are going in.

car
01-28-2010, 05:28 AM
pending on the hardness you may feel more vibration, but less wheel hop

i had solid engery suspension mounts on my gts before i pulled the engine, i hated em , vibrated way too much

I have lots of vibration and wheel hop, I must be doing it wrong...

4thgenceli
01-28-2010, 07:11 PM
I may have to pick some up to fill my mounts. I'm wanting some firmness in my mounts.

PittsburghCeli
02-11-2010, 01:28 AM
After a full week, the mounts were finally fully dry in the middle. I got the mounts installed and test driven. They don't bulge as much as I thought. There is definitely a noticable vibration difference and much better clutch pedal reaction. Anything is better than these worn out mounts.

http://home.comcast.net/~jasonbuterbaugh/pwpimages/DSCF0773.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~jasonbuterbaugh/pwpimages/DSCF0774.JPG

You can't see it in the pictures but the front mount rubber is torn when flexed. I guess it could be fixed or at least stiffened up with the poly caulking, even the rear tranny mount.

I would definitely recommend this mod to anyone who can afford a week to wait for the polyurethane to dry.

Physlis
05-06-2010, 07:14 AM
This is probably a dumb question, but there is a difference between transmission mounts and motor mounts right? I only ask because I tried to get trans. mounts today at autozone but I was told they don't carry them, only motor mounts. Their site is the same way, but the motor mounts look just like these.

4thgenceli
05-06-2010, 07:30 AM
This is probably a dumb question, but there is a difference between transmission mounts and motor mounts right? I only ask because I tried to get trans. mounts today at autozone but I was told they don't carry them, only motor mounts. Their site is the same way, but the motor mounts look just like these.
Yes, the parts stores usually refer to everything as 'motor mounts'. Even though there's only 1 true motor mount (LH side, passenger), and the other 3 actually are on the transmission.

You'll need to ask for the motor mounts. Just keep note that they refer to them when you're looking at the engine. LH side = passenger side of car. Front = by radiator, etc.

PittsburghCeli
05-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Note: Autozone and Napa have the front tranny mount listed incorrectly. If you have a manual transmission get the front motor mount for the automatic. The rear mount is the same.

Luni
05-06-2010, 02:50 PM
If its a nice hot day out and you have them in direct sunlight, window weld will cure enough to be usable after about 6-8 hours. After a day theyre dry.

Ive done this MANY times.

Get some brake cleaner and spray the fuck out of the mount with it. THE FUCK out of them. Like waste an entire can on a set of mounts.

Then fill with window weld, smooth out, and let it dry.

Its stiffer than stock. But it also isnt as stiff as my poly inserts are, and it sure isnt as stiff as the speedsource ones which are too stiff for my liking.

And it sure beats the hell out of buying new mounts.

skidMarkNZ
05-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Yes, the parts stores usually refer to everything as 'motor mounts'. Even though there's only 1 true motor mount (LH side, passenger), and the other 3 actually are on the transmission.

You'll need to ask for the motor mounts. Just keep note that they refer to them when you're looking at the engine. LH side = passenger side of car. Front = by radiator, etc.

ahh theres a motor mount down the back of the engine by the firewall that comes off the block....

or at least thier should be.....

Luni
05-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Nope. Tim is right.

On toyotas, 3 out of the 4 mounts are actually on the tranny.

Physlis
05-06-2010, 03:54 PM
If its a nice hot day out and you have them in direct sunlight, window weld will cure enough to be usable after about 6-8 hours. After a day they're dry.

Definitely not good enough weather lately for that. I think I'll still pony-up the cash for 'em and go from there. Once I get the old ones out though I'll have a spare set, lol.

v8killer
05-08-2010, 02:33 AM
so that stuff is legt as for hardness?

PittsburghCeli
05-08-2010, 03:39 PM
If its a nice hot day out and you have them in direct sunlight, window weld will cure enough to be usable after about 6-8 hours. After a day theyre dry.

Ive done this MANY times.

Get some brake cleaner and spray the fuck out of the mount with it. THE FUCK out of them. Like waste an entire can on a set of mounts.

Then fill with window weld, smooth out, and let it dry.

Its stiffer than stock. But it also isnt as stiff as my poly inserts are, and it sure isnt as stiff as the speedsource ones which are too stiff for my liking.

And it sure beats the hell out of buying new mounts.

Good info! Stiffens a little and protects them for life.

Brake cleaner should work well removing the protective wax coating from brand new stock mounts.

I thought the stiffness was perfect. Not too stiff that vibrated too much and it had a more responsive clutch pedal feel.

I did mine in the winter and had to let them dry for a week or so indoors.

ChrisD
05-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Here's a thread from a while back with shore ratings on a few of the more commonly used products.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1341&highlight=poly+fill+mounts

karl
05-16-2010, 02:14 AM

you can alter the stiffness too by stuffing solid stuff (anything, really- chunks of delrin cutting board works really well) into the open spaces in the mount so that the center collar can't move as much, then filling them with poly.

i wish i could find the part number for this stuff i used once. it was a green urethane adhesive made by 3M and came in a big epoxy tube, with a nozzle that mixed the 2 parts together. that stuff would be perfect for filling mounts. it cured in about 4 hours, was stiff but still flexible, and adhered to literally ANYTHING. if you got it on your skin and it dried, it didn't come off until the skin underneath came with it. nasty stuff, but awesome at the same time. we used it to glue the carbon panels between the tubes of the frame on our FSAE cars.

PittsburghCeli
05-16-2010, 02:46 AM
^^^Good tip if you want to go stiff.

I thought the PL poly adhesive would be too stiff and adding hard stuff might chatter your teeth. Soft permanently flexible for 50 years poly PL window sealant I used and thought was perfect because you don't need much more stiffness than stock new, but definitely more. I am sure it bulged and flexed when I let the clutch out.

v8killer
05-16-2010, 09:58 AM
lol the PL construction adhesive one at lowes here is less than 5 bucks with my sister's discount ;) and its a90 new rear diff cushion here we go!