PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam

gen5
04-03-2005, 12:00 AM
It seemed to me that there is so much discussion about this stuff, and the fact that I'm curious about it now, that we need a thread explaining some things.
-Where can you get it?
I found some at Advance/Kragen in stock, but they list 3 different types.
-What particular Seafoam product have you used?
I would like to hear all the stories from people who have used it themselves. I am mostly interested in using it in the crankcase.

presure2
04-03-2005, 01:23 AM
just did the seafoam thing a couple weeks ago...good shit!
heres a link to a thread about it i made on 6gc
click me (http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=22522&hl=seafoam)

Punisher
04-03-2005, 06:10 AM
there should only be 2 sea foam engine products (i think).. there is the stuff u can put in your gas tank/crankcase/vacuum hose and then the deep creep which is a spray can which u can use to spray down anything.. throttle body.. whatever just sea foam in spray can form..

It's really good shit.. and it's GREAT to piss the neighbors off with.. makes you put out really smokey exhaust for a couple of miles.. pour it in your crank case.. in your gas tank and put a shitload in through a vacuum hose.. and i let my car sit turned off for like 10 minutes.. then i started it back up.. which was a bitch took quite a cranking.. and then i took it out and you gotta ROMP the engine hard.. run high rpms through each gear and just beat the fuck out of it..

My luck, i did it and when i came out to drive it i noticed i was gettin a flat tire so i had to quick get over to goodyear before they closed in a half hour and i had no choice but to drive through the city with the exhaust smoking up somethin fierce.. people musta thought i was drivin a piece of shit car lol.. i didn't care.. just beat the hell out of each gear through down town lol.

carlosfandango
04-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Guys, this seafoam you keep talking about - what does it consist of, and if i cant get an alternative in the UK, who will be the kindest guy and post some to the UK for me, i'll cover all your costs, postage and then some for some beers? and how many cans come in a case?

in earnest

Karl

85gtsblackman
04-03-2005, 07:13 PM
ok someone find out how much a case is then ship it to him

Punisher
04-03-2005, 07:52 PM
This is what it is,

http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm

I can get the sea foam for you for $3.00 per can I believe.. I'll ship some to ya.. however, we will need to check into the legallity of it.. Since it's a chemical.. not sure if it will be legal to ship it across the pond, mate.

carlosfandango
04-04-2005, 12:46 AM
heh, i own a Professional Commercial Cleaning Company, let me look at the composition - by air possibly no, by boat - yup - may take weeks but its better than never.

carlosfandango
04-04-2005, 01:40 AM
man, who would be stupid enough to drink this stuff, chronic indgestion causes loss of intellectual ability, loss of coordination and memory loss. Hell, its a bit like beer Lol.

55 degrees F flash point

ingrediants.

40-60% PALE OILS are light coloured, non-staining naphthenic oils refined from specially selected wax-free crude through the use of severe hydrogenation. This process produces oils of excellent initial colour and colour stability while maintaining their compatibility with most synthetic elastomers.

Process Oil Features

* excellent initial colour and colour stability
* superior processing characteristics
* excellent polymer compatibility

Applications

* excellent balance of properties for rubber compounding
* ideal for processing polymers with low unsaturates
* resin extending, secondary plasticizer for PVC
* textile and caulking compounding formulations

25-35% Naptha - Coal tar or crude oil if you like - Reddish-brown, mobile liquid with an aromatic odor, It is a mixture of comprised of varying percentages of aromatic hydrocarbons including toluene, xylene, benzene, and cumene. The benzene content is higher in the coal tar naphthas with low boiling points. Hazardous decomposition products: None reported. Special precautions: None reported.

10-20 % IPA - ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL
Isopropyl alcohol, also known as isopropanol, is a colorless liquid with a pleasant odor. It is highly flammable. Isopropyl alcohol is found in alcohol sponges, cleaning agents, and rubbing alcohol (though some rubbing alcohols contain ethanol), and is a good disinfectant - it has no H20 properties, well maybe 0.01%.

I assume the can is aerosol? but anyhew it wont get on a aeroplane unless its declared, some airlines would take it, they would want the ingrediants, well theres the list.

Anything can go by boat, war heads, uranium - you name it...

let me know what you can do, this could become a trade sale if you wish and we could use my company details for export/postage.

carlosfandango
04-04-2005, 01:48 AM
obviously you get paypal'd prior to buying ths stuff for me.

gen5
04-04-2005, 02:04 AM
It costs $5.85US for one 16oz./1pint can, just bought some today. The can we all use has an open top, but there is also an aerosol type called Sea Foam Deep Creep. I think it's $1 more. Probably not any cheaper by the case. Let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.

Galcobar
04-04-2005, 07:42 AM
From the MR2OC board, the standard handling is two cans: 1 full can in the gas tank, then the other can split 1/3 in the crankcase, 2/3 in the throttle body via a vacuum line while the engine is running. Do it slowly so the stuff atomizes and doesn't kill the engine, then turn off the engine and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. Then turn it on, and fend off the neighbours who will come running with fire extinguishers.

carlosfandango
04-04-2005, 04:55 PM
i was looking at the right one then, i didnt look at the deep creep and thats the aerosol so that good, i dont want an aerosol.

Punisher
04-04-2005, 05:20 PM
WOW... 5 bucks a can.. you are gettin ripped off dude.. I'm almost certain I only paid 3 somethin per can at advance auto...

The deep creep is good shit tho.. because you can spray it around when you are working on whatever.. I've used it on all kinds of shit to break up grease and gunk or whatever...

carlosfandango
04-04-2005, 05:44 PM
i tend to aplly with a fitch brush as the aerosol wastes a lot of such stuff.

seems prices vary from $3ish to $5ish - guess it depends where it is being sold.

hprobps2_1990
04-06-2005, 03:23 AM
how does this sea foam work? and what does it all clean if used right?

Punisher
04-06-2005, 05:49 AM
Well I just checked it out at Advance Auto today it is 5.50 a can.. My bad..

Seafoam is jesus.. it will clean out built up oil/dirt deposits from your intake manifold and engine.. carbon build up.. etc.. it's wickedly awesome stuff.

gen5
04-06-2005, 10:08 AM
www.partsamerica.com- Checker, Schucks, Kragen, Advance, and Discount auto parts stores are the same and can be found at this site. Check prices on anything at your local store, and anything that they can order for you. Seafoam-$5.48US, Deep Creep $6.44US.

Schmleff
04-06-2005, 06:34 PM
how does this sea foam work? and what does it all clean if used right?

Actually, the stuff my be great, but I cleaned your manifold and entire intake system spottless, clean as new.

hprobps2_1990
04-07-2005, 02:48 AM
knew you woulddo so im just asking around ya know? :)

Schmleff
04-07-2005, 03:57 AM
knew you woulddo so im just asking around ya know? :)

Just tryin to save you some cash :bigthumbu

hprobps2_1990
04-07-2005, 04:12 AM
thanks though i was just curious becuse up till 2 days i had no idea what the stuff was

Punisher
04-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Sea Foam is really sea foam man.. Ya know? From all the whales that jizz in the ocean.. that's what makes sea foam and they just scrap it up and bottle it...

alltracman78
04-07-2005, 04:42 PM
:laugh:

:eekwtf:

Borinal
04-07-2005, 06:01 PM
55 degrees F flash point

Anything under like 145 degrees F flash point the us wont allow shipped on planes unless you are licensed and it is all in the zero air containers and shipped properly and shit. I have found that most other countries wont allow it shipped past customs PERIOD if the flashpoint is too low regardless of whether it is beauty or automotive or what. Have to have special licenses and shit in most of those countries to get that shit. Dunno about UK never tried to ship anything like that there. But looking at a couple other countries (Like Brazil.) it's that way.

It is pretty good stuff though. Really cleans your shit out. Seafoam goes in, black smoke/nasty gunk/engine feces comes out. It's Ace. Cheers Chap!

Best way that Luni has found to use it. (He introduced me to it.) Is to just get the liquid shit and pull a vacuum hose. Stick it in there and rev her up a bit, sucks it into the intake, let it sit a little while, rev it until it stops hesitating suck up some rinse n' repeat until it's gone.

Haven't tried the gas tank though.

Galcobar
10-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Given the potential for Seafoam to thin out your oil, and the possibility all the gunk it's going to dislodge to clog the filter, I've waited to use the cans I picked up last month until now, when I need an oil change.

So I decided to do a little research -- 47 threads here, one on 6gc.net, and a really long thread in multiple parts on MR2oc.com.

Instructions for typical use from Seafoam's own website:

How Many Mechanics Use SEA FOAM In Tune-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines Autos, Trucks, and Tractors

With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.

Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.

Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.

And for the 5SFE, the appropriate vacuum point (get another hose to hook up to the nipple and pull from the can):
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/Galcobar/Seafoamvacuumline.jpg

BTW, anybody able to tell me what the correct name of that line is? (My knowledge of actual engine management and what I'm guessing is emissions controls is severely limited.)

alltracman78
10-08-2005, 03:55 AM
It goes to the throttle opener.
Not really emissions.

acidice333
10-08-2005, 05:46 AM
So does it go in the tube side when u pull it out or does it go in the nipple? ( i havent looked at my car, so I figure why not ask )

alltracman78
10-08-2005, 02:42 PM
It goes into the intake man.
So, get a longer vaccum hose, disconnect that one from the nipple, connect other hose, and stick end in can.
If you stick it too deep, it will die, so go slow.
Or rev your engine good.
But I feel the slow is better. It will have more time to sit on internals and such.

Galcobar
10-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Just done -- not as smoky as most people described, though that might have been because of how I used the Seafoam.

I used a piece of rubber tubing -- the kind you get from wine stores or use on slingshots -- with a twist tie around the end to cinch it tight to the nipple. Probably ran a little over half the can into the intake. Rather than revving it, I went for the slow and steady method. Started smoking quite heavily out of the tailpipe by the time I finished the can.

Also discovered I've got a leak at the gasket on my exhaust manifold. Yet another reason to be pissed off at Toyota -- the unnecessary suspension work they said was necessary ate my header/exhaust budget that would have included a new gasket.

The other half went into the crankcase -- oil's getting changed later this week so I should rack up about 2-300 km.

Put a full can in the tank (useful note: they recommend 1 oz/gallon, the can is 16 oz. and the tank is 15.9 gallons or 7.8 mL Seafoam per litre, can is 470 mL, tank is 60.19 litres. Works out perfectly).

Definate changes in a few areas -- idle dropped from 750 RPM to 600 RPM when in drive. Engine seems quieter, though not incredibly. Less noise when accelerating.

The question is, how much of these effects are due to a thinner oil mix with less parasitic friction in the engine, and how much due to the Seafoam's cleaning action. Guess I'll find out after the oil change.

Rick89GTS
09-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Galcobar, did you buy your Seafoam in the lower mainland?

Kingsoup
09-17-2006, 02:09 PM
I gotta say, I never usually believe in this Snake-Oil kinda crap, but this stuff really worked on mine.

Let it draw in a vacuum line that was attached to the Cruise Actuater, I swear it actually smoothed my low rpm acceleration, got rid of a studder, better idle!

I think it cleaned out my Clogged EGR, I recommend this stuff to anyone, it really does work!

Fuelish
09-17-2006, 10:53 PM
I believe it may indeed have some limited benefits, but also believe it's way overrated.......(kinda like Slick 50 ....is that sh!t still around ???) ..and has an incredibly silly name for an AUTOMOTIVE product (unless, of course, you drive one of those wonderfully whacky old cars that you can drive into water and use like a "crude" boat....Hmmmm, was a crude car, as well....heh...can't remember name......) If you regularly maintain your car and take care of it, I see SeaFoam as a waste of hard earned $$$ ...but, of course, that's only my opinion.....hey, "whatever floats your boat" ;)
....."Placebo effect," anyone ???

Galcobar
09-18-2006, 02:54 AM
I bought it when I made a trip to the US, but a few months ago I got an e-mail as promised from Seafoam's manufacturer letting me know it is now available in Canada. Having not gone shopping for it since, my guess would be NAPA as that's a US distributor.

alltracman78
09-18-2006, 03:28 AM
I believe it may indeed have some limited benefits, but also believe it's way overrated.......(kinda like Slick 50 ....is that sh!t still around ???) ..and has an incredibly silly name for an AUTOMOTIVE product (unless, of course, you drive one of those wonderfully whacky old cars that you can drive into water and use like a "crude" boat....Hmmmm, was a crude car, as well....heh...can't remember name......) If you regularly maintain your car and take care of it, I see SeaFoam as a waste of hard earned $$$ ...but, of course, that's only my opinion.....hey, "whatever floats your boat" ;)
....."Placebo effect," anyone ???

Negative bud.
I don't do the "placebo effect". I know too much about cars for that.... ;)
If you have alot of carbon in your engine, it WILL run worse.
This stuff will clean it out.

I've had 3 bad turbos on my car. PLENTY of oil ran through the intake.....
Engine was running like poo, even after a tune up.
I had never used Seafoam, but I tried it.
Ran 3 or 4 cans through my engine.
It picked right back up.

When I tore the engine down last winter, there was NOTHING on the valves. No carbon at all. 160xxx M. Pig rich 3SGTE, and those 3 turbos worth of oil through it....

Deep Creep [areosol version] cleans carbon AWESOME.
Better than carb cleaner..... Better than solvent too.... Of course that was weak solvent.

celica9303
09-19-2006, 05:29 AM
im still confused on how to? and how much to put where? i still have my 5s should i do it at a oil change? i have about 2k till my next one(roughly a month) how many cans are needed? i put a can(well attempterd to) in my gas tank (most went o the ground due to the stupid desiggn of can) and didnt notice any thing.. any help is well worth it.

BTW :Alltracman - the header will be installed in about 4 more weeks. will let you know if i have any questions

aballz
09-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Will Sea Foam cause any leaks? Is it necessary to change your plugs/oil afterward?

alltracman78
09-19-2006, 03:08 PM
I don't run it in the oil.
You run the risk of loosening chunks of sludge that will run through your engine. I won't necessarily do it, and as long as it doesn't, it will help.
Basically, its up to you if you want to add it to the oil.

If you just run it in the gas tank and intake you will only need to change your plugs.
Wait a day or 2 afterwards, so your engine burns out all that was loosened.

When you put it in the gas tank use a funnel or get a long screwdriver to hold the flap open.

If you run it in the oil, it is possible to cause a leak, if sludge is sealing something. Unlikely it will be that bad though....

Run as many as you like.
Try them one at a time. When they stop making a difference, stop.

Fuelish
09-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Cool enough, man.... I'd never heard of it until I started browsing Toyota forums last year when we bought my wife's '05 Corolla S ....... from the buzz about it, it just sounds too good to be true (without harming something in the process). Perhaps I'll give it a go at some future point - my old Celi still seems to run perfectly....who knows, perhaps it will even improve (I would not complain ;) )
Negative bud.
I don't do the "placebo effect". I know too much about cars for that.... ;)
If you have alot of carbon in your engine, it WILL run worse.
This stuff will clean it out.

I've had 3 bad turbos on my car. PLENTY of oil ran through the intake.....
Engine was running like poo, even after a tune up.
I had never used Seafoam, but I tried it.
Ran 3 or 4 cans through my engine.
It picked right back up.

When I tore the engine down last winter, there was NOTHING on the valves. No carbon at all. 160xxx M. Pig rich 3SGTE, and those 3 turbos worth of oil through it....

Deep Creep [areosol version] cleans carbon AWESOME.
Better than carb cleaner..... Better than solvent too.... Of course that was weak solvent.

aballz
09-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Ok, buy plugs, then put through gas and intake. Then wait 15 minutes and start her up again and see some really bad gas clouds come out. Do i have to do this when the engine is warm or is it ok to do this when its cold?