PDA

View Full Version : valve tapping noise

skreem
04-02-2005, 10:06 PM
there is a slight tapping noise coming from my engine, it doesnt seem too serious but it is annoying. im currently using 10w-30 oil and im due for an oil change soon. should i switch to a different weight oil? im in ny right now and the weather is probably going to get warmer soon.

Mike431635
04-02-2005, 10:17 PM
I have the same thing. It's no big deal. Although I have heard tons of people say that when they put seafoam in their oil fill, throttle body (to be sucked in intake) and gas tank, their valvetrain noise either completely stopped or became almost unnoticeable. You may want to try that.

Mike431635
04-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Here is a post I'm quoting from the MR2OC board. This tells you what to do:

Just gave my engine a couple of bottles of this stuff.
Last week a bottle went in the gas tank. This week, 1/3 went into the crankcase and about 2/3rds went into the intake piping.
Yanked off one of the top vacuum lines coming out the top of the TB [not the one leading to the EGR solenoid], attached a hose to it with a coupler, found one of those pointy filler caps from an old bottle of tranny fluid, shoved it into the hose and commenced pouring SLOWLY with the engine hovering around 1.5k-2krpm.

pour too fast, the engine bogs. slowed it down and kept pouring slow enough that it would turn into a mist in the airstream and would be distributed to all cylinders. Near the end of the bottle, I dumped the whole mess in and stalled the sucker out.
Let it sit for 15 mins... came back in, fired it up... took some cranking to get going and then WHOOOOOOOSH!!!! HUUUUUUUUGE clouds of white smoke. Couldn't see my hand in front of my face, staggered out of the garage coughing and gagging... and i'd had the tail of the car OUTSIDE of the garage.
Lots of smoke, massive clouds of it but the engine didnt display any sign of being unhappy. When the smoke cleared a minute later, I took the car out for a spirited 15 minute drive.
Came back, did a compression test.

Previous results before the test were 190 191 187 192

Results after the test were 184 185 183 185

Valvetrain noise has quieted down a TON. Partial throttle vacuum on cruise has increased noticeably. Engine has more vacuum going up hills instead of boost. Throttle response has also noticeably improved. No stuttering or knock at 14psi. Basically, she feels smooth as butter.

I am impressed. Aside from that white cloud of who-knows-what, this stuff is insane.

Mike431635
04-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Holy crap, I just went and got some because you reminded me of it. I ran 1/3 a bottle into the valve cover through the oil fill, and sucked the rest of the bottle through a vac hose on the throttle body (one that comes off the top where 3 vac hoses are and goes to a connector on the side of the head). I got kind of excited and started sucking too much through and it stalled out. So I cranked it for a couple minutes and it started up and got to like 600 rpm's and kept jumping around. I kept cranking it like a moron and my starter was clicking (doh!) but it's fine.. not messed up. Anyhow, it created SO much smoke that it looked like my whole house was on fire. After the smoke cleared, I kept giving it throttle until there was only a little smoke coming from the exhaust. The valvetrain has gotten significantly quieter, the idle is VERY smoothe, and when it starts it comes right up to 1k rpm's when it would usually go to 1.2-1.3k and sit there for a while, kind of jumping around from 1k to 1.5k, and then settle to 800-900. It also revs quicker and more freely.

I highly recommend you do this.

Punisher
04-03-2005, 06:22 AM
you did it wrong tho when u sea foam u gotta take it out for a drive and beat the hell out of the gas peddle to really get shit movin and let that sea foam beat all of the carbon deposits up

carlosfandango
04-04-2005, 02:34 AM
is their anyone here who has used this for a long time? what about stuff blocking the oil pick up and blocking oil feeds throughout the block and head?

I believe it is advisable to carry out an immediate oil change after its been warmed and revved enough to clear the smoke, I wouldnt drive the car as that put a lot more load on the engine than just sitting still having the accelerator going - close all the vents and windows and wear a face mask, I would also do this to stay near the source of any tell tale signs of ebeing revved also, personaly i would carry out another oil change within 50 miles or two days to check for internal face deposits.

risks of inhaling in a confined space like a garage can be avoided by doing it on the street or driveway - vapours and or mists can damage the eyes and leave them red and sore. try to position the car so the tail pipe emmisions wil be carried away from the car by the wind.

look here if your unsure. http://www.seafoamsales.com/pdf/trans_tune.pdf

but its safe, just be sure you be careful.

what do you guys think?