PDA

View Full Version : Trd-gt?

klapa
01-19-2010, 11:06 PM
My recently acquired 92 GT coupe has an extra "badge" on the trunk lid - just before the GT medallion is a TRD medallion with two sort of "flags - one red and one white.

I did some searching around and near as I can tell the "TRD" is Toyota Racing Development - the performence arm of Toyota Motors - and the the TRD was an optional package available for ~$1500.

Thing is I haven't found any references to this package for 5th gens - only for the later 6th and 7th gens - and also really haven't found out just exactly what the package entailed, aside from larger diameter wheels and various un-named suspension "improvements".

Thought maybe somebody here might have more info.

andy
01-19-2010, 11:40 PM
somebody put that on there. there arnt any TRD versions of anything i dont think. (maybe the trucks)

klapa
01-19-2010, 11:49 PM
I thought maybe that was the case - I'll snap a photo of it and post here.

KM
01-19-2010, 11:59 PM
Yeah, you can buy TRD emblems at auto stores.
Atleast they didn't put one of those dumb TURBO emblems on there, or worse... VTEC!

Murgatroy
01-20-2010, 02:14 AM
TRD never made any special edition 5th Gen Celica. TRD never even made any performance parts for a 5th Gen Celica.

Someone might as well have put a GT-R badge on it and you could have had a GT-R GT the uber rarest of the NISMO modded Celicas. ;)

goretro77
01-20-2010, 02:23 AM
TRD used to be a great source for race oriented Toyota parts. Now all I see in Toyota dealerships are TRD clocks, TRD mugs next to the Scion toy models.
:(

cms-gt4
01-20-2010, 02:24 AM
TRD used to make performance parts for the 5th gen.

Murgatroy
01-20-2010, 02:33 AM
TRD used to make performance parts for the 5th gen.
I thought they only made parts for the ST185?

I didn't think they made anything for the ST184 other than oil caps and radiator caps, which I refuse to call a performance part.

cms-gt4
01-20-2010, 02:47 AM
LoL. They did not make a lot. If I could dig figure out what box my hyper rev was in I could give a list. They had track TRD pads, filter elements, shifter, and some handling bits. I am not 100% sure if they started making the fwd LSD until the 6th gen though.

Murgatroy
01-20-2010, 09:18 AM
The air filter, I forgot about that. I will call that a performance part.

I thought the 'Quickshifter' was a 6th Gen part?

cms-gt4
01-21-2010, 01:34 AM
Nope, they also made two quickshifts for the 5th gen. 90-91 and 92-93. Then of course there are the JDM variants that leans to the other side. Since the brakes and shifter was shared with the st185, it was simple to just market them to all the st18x models.

KoreanJoey
01-21-2010, 12:26 PM
LoL. They did not make a lot. If I could dig figure out what box my hyper rev was in I could give a list. They had track TRD pads, filter elements, shifter, and some handling bits. I am not 100% sure if they started making the fwd LSD until the 6th gen though.

You can still get the pads, at least last I checked. You can still get the LSDs too (and for FWD the LSD works from at least 90-05 GT/GTS)

cms-gt4
01-21-2010, 01:35 PM
The high end pads were discontinued years back. There was a huge over stock of the rear pads, and you tend to find just the rears from time to time. I had a set, they were great. There was a rumor you could get them still through the manufacture, which is of course not TRD. TRD just subbed them out and stamped their name on them.

Nitro_Alltrac
01-22-2010, 12:28 AM
I picked up a set of the rear pads about a two years ago. They are really good. I haven't seen any around lately though.

cms-gt4
01-22-2010, 12:54 AM
I bought the rear pads over 5 years ago for like $20 when they first when on clearance.

Dougy90
01-22-2010, 12:57 AM
anyone know the manufacter for the TRD pads?

cms-gt4
01-22-2010, 01:48 AM
I would not bother with them now that Hawk makes pads for the 5th gen.

cms-gt4
02-02-2010, 02:42 AM
Speak of the devil, though I would not spend more than 20 bucks for them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-TRD-Rear-Brake-Pads-Camry-Celica-Alltrac-ES-RX300_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ320482906494QQsspagen ameZRSSQ3aBQ3aSRCHQ3aUSQ3a101

Nitro_Alltrac
02-02-2010, 02:54 AM
Those are the ones I have. I think I got mine for about $20-30 I think. Like I said before, its been a couple of years. I've been happy with them.

klapa
02-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Well - I did want to update this at least to post a pic of my "fake badge" - now that I finally seem to have a camera that seems to work.

http://www.nashdom.com/TRD-GT.JPG

Physlis
02-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Yeah, you can buy TRD emblems at auto stores.
Atleast they didn't put one of those dumb TURBO emblems on there, or worse... VTEC!

Even worse than that; on my gt-4 in italy someone had removed the OEM badging and put a GT-FOUR sticker and a Type-R badge.

klapa
02-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Well - I'll have to take the thing off at some point - I'll just need to decide how and when.

The trunk lid on this car is a problem anyway - it does not open or close porperly and unless closed with the greatest of care will leak. The car was hit in the rear at some point in its life and the trunk lid has a problem on the passenger side - I'm waiting on a hinge I bought from a member here to see if that fixes it - if it does then I'll rip that emblem off the existing lid and get the whole thing painted after the fixes.

Else the whole lid will go and I'll have something else that will need painting anyway.

Simonhla
03-15-2010, 02:20 AM
My recently acquired 92 GT coupe has an extra "badge" on the trunk lid - just before the GT medallion is a TRD medallion with two sort of "flags - one red and one white.

I did some searching around and near as I can tell the "TRD" is Toyota Racing Development - the performence arm of Toyota Motors - and the the TRD was an optional package available for ~$1500.

Thing is I haven't found any references to this package for 5th gens - only for the later 6th and 7th gens - and also really haven't found out just exactly what the package entailed, aside from larger diameter wheels and various un-named suspension "improvements".

Thought maybe somebody here might have more info.

Sigh........

Yes this was me. I deserve to get seriously flamed. What can I say? It was a moment of rash stupidity. I had just fitted new wheels, was new to modding world and somehow a TRD emblem looked like it might make my car go faster! Oh the shame.

Thankfully I can say it was the only tasteless mod I ever did and with time I learned to do things the right way.

In case you are curious it is stuck on there with double sided tape. I think if you use some dental floss and saw through the tape you could get it off no problem. An abrasive polish would do the rest.

I can't remember if I ever gave you the spare ECU I had. I bought it a while ago because the car wouldn't rev over 4k rpm. Thought it was a computer problem. Turned out to be a clogged cat hence the new header. If I did give it to you disregard this, if I didn't then I have it in storage here somewhere. I am in the process of moving (bought a house...yay!!!) and I don't want to take it with me so I'd happily mail it to you in case you ever need it. Can't have too many spare parts. I wish you were local, I would have loved to have worked on an overhaul project of the GT with you. I don't have any car buddies here. Please keep me informed on what you do to her. Would love to see pics.

BTW, I found the mudguards I took off a while ago in my garage. badly scuffed. Got them out to send to you but my landlord thought they were trash and threw them out. Boo!

Anyway go easy on me guys for the TRD badge. I did once post a thread on here asking if it was ok and most people said it was a bit cheeky but not too bad.....I knew you were just being nice!! Lol.

I miss celicatech and the whole crew here. www.bimmerforums.com is my new home, great site but just not the same.