PDA

View Full Version : Aaron's 1993 Honda Del Sol

VikingJZ
01-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Here is a progress thread I am making to show my daily driver. It slowly looks like I'm keeping the car for a while and am making a place here to organize my thoughts and keep track of the things I do.

I sold my Volvo (mistake) to get this car. Its a 1993 Honda Del Sol with an automatic transmission. Honestly, its a very good car, but the only thing it has over the Volvo is the targa top and gas mileage.

That being said, I found this on the Indianapolis CraigsList and drove down the day after Halloween to look at it. It has typical Honda rust, but I have seen much worse.

Notice that in the first picture the car had a really horrible multi-colored metal flake into the clear.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9468/1101091112a.jpg

The wheel covers I bought when I got at the WalMart ten minutes from my house on my way back from buying it. The car had three Maltese cross wheel covers on it when I bought it.

One would think it rides like shit, no? Wrong. It has a silky smooth ride and was quite surprising to me. One of my reasons for purchasing it was the fact that it was unmodified. The guy we bought it from had the paint job done as a gift for his wife (Yet still ghey).

One day I recalled an article of SportCompactCar magazine I had in my room where they painted an STi with Krylon Fusion satin black paint. I decided to paint my Del Sol using the same method. $35 and three hours later, my car came out like this:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5424/3k43m93o85r85rb5r5a1c0c.jpg

(Notice it is still wet from washing it the next day, and I also bought different wheel covers). I am not sure which set of wheel covers I like better though.

So there you have it, my daily driver.

Here is everything I have done to the car since I bought it:

--Matte black paint (Krylon Fusion)
--New Wheel covers
--NGK blue plug wires
--NGK Plugs
--New Cap/Rotor
--Found a K&N drop in filter in the air box, so I bought the cleaner kit and re-oiled it (Awesome find!!)
--New thermostat
--New fuel filter
--Upper radiator hose and clamps
--Winter wiper blades
--Sylvania SilverStar Ultra headlight bulbs
--Cool white LED aux. light bulbs
--Red out tails (Look AWESOME)

I am waiting for some time to put on my new inner/outer tie rod ends, upper ball joints, and poly front bushings.

85gtsblackman
01-18-2010, 08:45 AM
u made the paint look like ass

how are those silverstar ultras?

VikingJZ
01-18-2010, 09:00 AM
u made the paint look like ass

how are those silverstar ultras?

It looks a lot better than the paint that was on it. Trust me, it looked like a stripper's bikini top in direct sun light.

The bulbs are pretty good. Huge improvement over regular ass bulbs, but I have not compared them to Nokya blue bulbs yet. Obviously HID's are the real deal.

85gtsblackman
01-18-2010, 09:16 AM
shiny speckaled metallic > ratrod black

yay ricer paint job

yeah ive debated putting H.I.Ds in the 6th gen but its a glass non projector housing, meaning id blind most people if i went with anything under 5000k

The Captain
01-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Did they have any cars for men on craigslist? j/k!

Do they all have targa tops?

85gtsblackman
01-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Did they have any cars for men on craigslist? :duh:

ZING!

VikingJZ
01-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Haha

Yes they all have targa tops and power rear windows. Pretty cool little car. The JDM ones had a power top where the top was lifted out of the trunk and slid into place.

90CelicaST
01-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Haha

Yes they all have targa tops and power rear windows. Pretty cool little car. The JDM ones had a power top where the top was lifted out of the trunk and slid into place.

The power top is pretty cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7yuX3x7rEQ

The Captain
01-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Sounds like fun. Need mo powa!

VikingJZ
01-20-2010, 05:17 AM
I do sometimes wish I had moar powarz, but I don't really need to go fast.

Freshnicity
01-20-2010, 05:22 AM
I like Del Sols...engines in the wrong spot though, honda messed up on that.

Clean car though. Dont know about the Satin paint..maybe get a better pic of it?

I like it.

VikingJZ
01-21-2010, 05:36 AM
I like Del Sols...engines in the wrong spot though, honda messed up on that.

Clean car though. Dont know about the Satin paint..maybe get a better pic of it?

I like it.

It looks better in person, when its clean, and not on a camera phone picture.

I'm not too fond of the satin paint, but the sparkles had to go.

My plan is to paint it white if I keep it, but there's been a lot of interest in the car to sell it, so I don't know.

I am looking at sixth gens as well

85gtsblackman
01-21-2010, 06:10 AM
eh im not selling u mine, u shoulda bought ryans

thought u were gonna get a truck

oh if u wana make a better stock intake take the hole on the bottom part of the stock box, (where it takes in air) and enlarge it 2-3 inches and use pvc or aluminum piping or flex exaust to get more air to your stock box, run said pipe from bottom of box into fender put a mesh type cap on the end.