PDA

View Full Version : Finding a 5sfe 2.2

ahas
01-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Need to ask another question about my 92 gt-s. Could I use a 2.2 from a camary and if I could, want years? This will help my search.

burnyd
01-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Yes! I dunno what this Camary stuff is...

but if you are referring to a Camry you prolly want to get a 92-99? I 00-02 camrys are distrubterless. Not sure if anyone has tried one in the past or not..... Mr2 Motors can be used with some parts swapped from your 5sfe...

ahas
01-16-2010, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the info, sorry about that camry stuff

METDeath
01-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Looking at the Wiki for the Camry, I would say go with a 96-99, those should be the Rev2 5S-FE that you need. Not sure on the 91-95 models...

lalojamesliz
01-16-2010, 03:23 AM
Yes! I dunno what this Camary stuff is...

but if you are referring to a Camry you prolly want to get a 92-99? I 00-02 camrys are distrubterless. Not sure if anyone has tried one in the past or not..... Mr2 Motors can be used with some parts swapped from your 5sfe...

the 98 camry i had did not have a distributor.

Shadowlife25
01-16-2010, 07:47 AM
ANY 90-99 5sfe can be used.

If you get a POST-revision donor motor (92+) you will need to re-use the following:

Intake Manifold
Throttle Body
Distributor
Plug Wires
Valve Cover

Lastly and not to criticize, but USE THE SEARCH.
I have personally answered this question at least a few dozen times.
The info is here. You need to look for it.

85gtsblackman
01-16-2010, 07:50 AM
camry didnt get a 5s untill 92 model year and it was a 2nd revision engine, only the celica and mr2 got the pre-
revision motor

92-96 was the 1st years that had a 5s as a base engine

ive seen some 97-01 with a coil pack type ignition

92-96 camry would be your best best, that and they used to be everywhere

Shadowlife25
01-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Joe, I wasn't only specifying the Camry. Literally any 5sfe will do the job.
Only thing different on the post revision engines that doesn't get used on a pre-revision is the knock sensor.
The other stuff I mentioned is needed to complete the swap into a car equipped with a rev1 5sfe.
Even if it comes with coil pack type ignition setup, you just use the distributor from the rev.1 and it all works just fine.

I know because it's exactly what I had to do when I replaced the engine in the red car last year. :)

That being said, the newer the better, as there will likely be less miles.

Also, it doesn't matter if the donor engine is out of an automatic.
You transfer over your clutch and flywheel assembly and you're good to go.

85gtsblackman
01-16-2010, 08:17 AM
mario i was moreso answering the original poster's question

but yes ahas, any 5s will do

Shadowlife25
01-16-2010, 11:05 PM
mario i was moreso answering the original poster's question

Gotcha. :)
I was just listing the stuff that would work.
I think between us we got him covered Joe. :bigthumbu

92_Celica5SFE
02-02-2010, 03:56 AM
soooo, is a '92 celica gt 5sfe rev 1 or 2, and would i need to carry over my original intake manifold, throttle body, valve cover, and distributor regardless, or just drop in the new one and hook it up? like will anything have to be done about the wiring or ecu if i use a '94 2.2l celica engine in a '92 celica?

The Captain
02-02-2010, 01:17 PM
I may have a 93 Celica 5SFE becoming available in the next few months. . .Can't guarantee when.

donteatbugs
02-02-2010, 01:33 PM
if you want a real PITA you can use the whole camry motor and not swap anything and redo the whole wiring harness and run the camry ecu. that way you have a complete gen2 or gen3 5S. the gains to be had are not worth it though. maybe 3 whp and 5 ft. lb torque.

Smaay
02-02-2010, 02:17 PM
who cares what the miles are. anyone who installes a off teh shelf used engine is crazy! tear that baby apart and install new bearings and rings. clean up the pistons, and BAM you have a "new" engine. oh yeah, and new gaskets

sodap0p
02-02-2010, 05:02 PM
who cares what the miles are. anyone who installes a off teh shelf used engine is crazy! tear that baby apart and install new bearings and rings. clean up the pistons, and BAM you have a "new" engine. oh yeah, and new gaskets

off the shelf yes, but if its out of a running (donor or recently scrap) car, I wouldnt bother, my opinion ofcoarse :)

KoreanJoey
02-03-2010, 02:03 AM
One thing to note is that a Camry 5S has balance shafts which seriously impede how well the engine revs. If you want the response of the Celica 5S you'll have to have a machine shop balance the rotating assembly and add a crank pulley with a harmonic balancer.

manbridge
02-03-2010, 05:48 AM
I put a 95 camry engine in a 90 gts. I'd probably have to drive 2 Celicas back to back to notice the difference in balance shaft vs none. Not much in my case. Of course rev 2s have a few differences that could account for that, such as bigger valve shims for maybe less friction. Perhaps different cam timing(95 camry auto trans cams different?)? It sure revs smooth.

I've heard over the years that 97+ camrys had smaller coolant passages in head leading to sludged up engines. Not sure if its true or not. Any thoughts on this?

grayscale
02-03-2010, 12:22 PM
soooo, is a '92 celica gt 5sfe rev 1 or 2, and would i need to carry over my original intake manifold, throttle body, valve cover, and distributor regardless, or just drop in the new one and hook it up? like will anything have to be done about the wiring or ecu if i use a '94 2.2l celica engine in a '92 celica?

92 and up is a rev2. You can take any other 92 and up use it without switching anything over as long as the transmissions are the same. If you have a manual and you pull from and automatic you will need to change the flywheel, and the same if it is the other way around.
The only thing I could see is if you happen to use one from an MR2 you could swap your valve cover as the emblems on those face opposite of ours, but that is just cosmetic, it does affect anything mechanically.

The Captain
02-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I've heard over the years that 97+ camrys had smaller coolant passages in head leading to sludged up engines. Not sure if its true or not. Any thoughts on this?
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31252

97 vert. 63k miles or so. Any questions?

manbridge
02-04-2010, 05:39 AM
Wow, good thing you caught it early. Humidity must play a big part. Back when I was a tech at a multi-make shop we never saw this. Course Colorado is one of the drier states.