PDA

View Full Version : Pre purchase Inspection Questions

Muirner
01-15-2010, 01:28 AM
Hello Everyone @ Celica Tech,

This is my first post, but not my first celica. I'm hoping tomorrow to go put an offer on a celica i found on cars.com out of LI, NY. Linky Linky (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;jsessionid=Woe7MtFwsLC15Fhoz4RtgjW?tab= summary&paId=320815328&recnum=&actLog=&listingId=29442682&paId=320815328&listingRecNum=2&criteria=prMx%3d2000%26sf1Dir%3dASC%26prMn%3d0%26a lMdId%3d20823%26alMdId%3d20800%26alMdId%3d20821%26 mkId%3d20017%26mkId%3d20088%26stkTyp%3dU%26mdId%3d 20823%26mdId%3d20800%26mdId%3d20821%26rd%3d100%26c rSrtFlds%3dstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3d02891%26rn%3d0%26PMmt%3d2-3-0%26stkTypId%3d28881%26sf2Dir%3dDESC%26sf1Nm%3dmil es%26sf2Nm%3dprice%26alMkId%3d20017%26alMkId%3d200 88%26rpp%3d250%26feedSegId%3d28705&tracktype=usedcc&pageNumber=&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE&certifiedOnly=false&aff=national) I have had a 5th Gen celica before and i LOVED it, but always thought the 6th gen was nicer.

So here is my problem. I'm sending my dad to go look at it, and as i can tell by the photos the interior needs some work, and it's not the most visually appealing car but! I still love it. I need a car just for the winter and rainy days as i ride a 08 ZX6R Special Edition during the summer every single day. Can someone point me to a resource, or help me identify some key points to look at when looking at the car? I already know the body kit wasnt put on the best and could use some work, and there is a dent in the drivers rear quarter.. But what can i have my dad look at, or check on his test drive to ensure i'm not gonna hate myself for this decision.

THANKS!

Muirner

Shadowlife25
01-15-2010, 01:45 AM
The kit on it isn't bad at all.
Interior seems ok aside from the tears in the leather, but you can repair those cheaply.
Seems to be decently well appointed as far as options go.

The rear quarter damage isn't horrible, but will require a good body man to get fixed.
You WILL need another set of wheels and tires for it though, as the wheel on the damages side is bent.
Add to that the what seem to be 30 or 40 series tires on it... best to use stock wheels and tires.

All things considered, not too bad at all, but I wouldn't offer more than $1150. with the damage that is readily apparent.

Make sure it fires up and runs nicely.
Check the oil level and coloration. ( good indicator of recent service)
Inspect the undercarriage to be sure it hasn't been damaged also.
(Scrapes along the underbody and exhaust are a good indicator)
Make sure it is reasonably clean in the engine bay area with no major oil deposits.
Check that the radiator doesn't have any cracks forming.
Inspect the coolant level and color.
Look for any recent service tags or stickers.
Double check the mileage to verify that it is what is stated.
Run the car and check ALL the different electrics on it.
(Heat,A/C,signals,brakes,wipers,hi/low beams,hazards,all settings for heater and a/c (fan), mirrors,door locks, driver seat adjustment (if equipped).

Best of luck!

:)

KoreanJoey
01-15-2010, 04:51 AM
Those wheels look terrible... and weight a ton.

Muirner
01-15-2010, 05:28 AM
Shadow - Thank you for the list of stuff. My dad has it and will be looking tomorrow. I talked to the guy today and he seemed pretty set on close to the asking price of the listing though i told him there is no way on Gods green earth that was going to happen. So he asked me to come in. We will see what the report says tomorrow after my dad checks it out.

Joey - Ya i'm not fond of the wheels either, but as i said this car is my version of a beater. Granted i love celicas, and i'll prob end up putting WAY TO MUCH money into this car with upgrades and the likes but i only need it a few days a month in the summer and for the winter time. If i can obtain it cheeply it may serve it's purpose until i can get into working and making $$.

1/15 EDIT: So here begins the fun... I made a call to the shop to see what time they were open until today so that my dad would be able to test drive the car. I got ahold of a sales rep who was not there any other time i talked to the shop. She indicated she sold the car on Tuesday and just didnt tell anyone. WTF? Also little did the shop owner and other sales rep know... it needed motor mounts as well. As much as i would of enjoyed this car, seems to me that problems were deeper than anyone there knew or could articulate. Glad i didnt have my dad drive the 2 hours through NY traffic to go see it. But i'm still pretty livid.

klapa
01-24-2010, 04:59 AM
Another couple of things I always check are to be sure that both the Check Engine and Oil Pressure lights come on when ignition is on without engine started - to be sure someone has not disconnected/disabled them somehow.

Shadowlife25
01-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Another couple of things I always check are to be sure that both the Check Engine and Oil Pressure lights come on when ignition is on without engine started - to be sure someone has not disconnected/disabled them somehow.

An excellent point.

barker
01-29-2010, 11:30 PM
any other things to check for? Im looking at buying a 94 GT, 5 speed power everything and sunroof. Its quite a way from my place so I want to be able to check it out really good before I buy it. I had a 1990 GT-S which I loved and now its time to go back to a yoda.

Shadowlife25
01-29-2010, 11:53 PM
I will not be a GTS....so a definite downgrade as far as interior appointments go.
Body is just not a wide body.

Most everything is listed above that you should really look at.

Of course, always make sure the title is in good order.

VikingJZ
01-30-2010, 04:36 PM
I think you can find a better car for the money. Check your local CraigsList.