PDA

View Full Version : New issue: Clunk from front suspension

Rob Milkshakes
01-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Well continuing its current trend, as soon as some things are worked out two new issues popped up... One has me lost though, a clunk when going over bumps coming from the front suspension. First thing I thought was that the sway bar bushings in the front are now going, like the rears had but those checked out fine, as did the links (I even removed the link and drove around the block, noise did NOT change). So right now I'm left without anyone around who can push down on the car so I can check it out from underneath. So in the down time, has anyone experienced similar symptoms?

1. appeared with a low thump on the left side over bumps, wasn't very noticable
2. got louder after a weeks time was clear it was the front left, now almost sounds like the top bolt on the strut is loose, but its not
3. doesn't happen upon turning the wheels, just when the suspension flexs up/down
4. push/pulled vertically and horizontally on the wheel, had no play

So this leaves me thinking possibly the strut mount, maybe ball joint? but the car is tracking straight, has no issues turning.... so yeah, any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

sodap0p
01-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Well continuing its current trend, as soon as some things are worked out two new issues popped up... One has me lost though, a clunk when going over bumps coming from the front suspension. First thing I thought was that the sway bar bushings in the front are now going, like the rears had but those checked out fine, as did the links (I even removed the link and drove around the block, noise did NOT change). So right now I'm left without anyone around who can push down on the car so I can check it out from underneath. So in the down time, has anyone experienced similar symptoms?

1. appeared with a low thump on the left side over bumps, wasn't very noticable
2. got louder after a weeks time was clear it was the front left, now almost sounds like the top bolt on the strut is loose, but its not
3. doesn't happen upon turning the wheels, just when the suspension flexs up/down
4. push/pulled vertically and horizontally on the wheel, had no play

So this leaves me thinking possibly the strut mount, maybe ball joint? but the car is tracking straight, has no issues turning.... so yeah, any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Ball joint usually makes noise from wheel movement. However, I have had it where the the bolt that holds the joint into the steering knuckle has come loose and the ball joint sort of knocks inside the knuckle.

All of this should be pretty easy to check, raise your vehicle from the side that is making the noise, then lower it back down after placing a jack stand under the control arm. Now with your wheel in the air and your supported control arm, grab the sides and feel for play, then from the top and bottom. If you feel your knock there, its going to be the ball joint if you are moving top to bottom, and tie rod end if its making the knock while moving it side to side.

If it doesnt make noise for you doing this test, I would suspect the shock or mount.

Rob Milkshakes
01-14-2010, 08:21 PM
I just tried, no play.

Luckily, my dad just stopped by, with his help we isolated any vibration/play to the strut. it can be felt in the top bolt, and in the spring. So, possibly the mount or maybe the spring seat insulator? The weren't in the greatest shape when I replaced the struts

4thgenceli
01-14-2010, 09:27 PM
It's most likely the upper strut mount. Cheap fix, but could be a pita to replace.

Rob Milkshakes
01-14-2010, 09:48 PM
The job itself isn't too bad. Its just a little too cold here now to do that.

I would probably just buy my eibachs now if it wasn't so cold/wasn't looking at getting back into the ae92 crowd and take care of all that while its apart

Rob Milkshakes
01-18-2010, 11:10 PM
in this weird week of weather about 30* warmer than usual I found the issue. I believe it was the gland nut on top of the strut housing that holds the insert inside. It looked like it backed itself out a bit. With a new strut mount and that tightened back down, its back to being nice and quiet.

still to go:
regain heat
replace oxygen sensor (last shot for better gas milage)
passenger side fender (anyone have a spare in 8g6 light blue pearl?)
Brass bushings for shift linkage
lower w/ new shoes

oy.