PDA

View Full Version : whats up with mr2 peeps?

Ricksta
01-11-2010, 05:17 AM
i take a look over at whats up for sale right now on mr2oc and everyone is tryin to sell thier whips for these outragous prices...what the hell is going on? is there a spike in price on these cars that i didnt know about?

Kanoodle
01-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Explain what a high price to you is because a fairly clean 93+ turbo go for 6-8k all day long, has been that way for awhile. And is not unusual for some super clean ones to go for 12k +. Yes some of the just average ones may try to sell them for a bit much but there has been people doing that for awhile so in my eyes nothing has changed. I also am not going to check every last thread haha. I checked the first page nothing seemed odd just really nice MR2's and the owners aren't willing to just give them away.

Also look into the interiors, if it has clean black/tan leather interior it is rare to find them clean and unmolested, these are very sought after thus costing more also. I think you need to adjust your scale to what a nice one really go for. Ask Pearljammzz what he bought his stock 94T for...

Ricksta
01-11-2010, 07:22 AM
i think maybe a year ago i was looking at prices just for shits for giggles. there would be 4-500hp clean ass mr2's going for 6-7k all day long.

Kanoodle
01-11-2010, 07:30 AM
I think you are high, they go for up around 8-15 and that depends on the condition of the chassis/body/interior.

85gtsblackman
01-11-2010, 07:35 AM
8-15k?

no thanks id build a subaru at that point

Kanoodle
01-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Just sayin' man, people know what they want and are willing to pay for it when it pops up. Personally I want a clean 93 that is stock I'll mod it myself. I have a few colors I'll accept T-tops are a must leather and so on.

Sang
01-11-2010, 08:00 AM
I think we have very different definitions of clean. I would be skeptical, at best, of a "clean 500hp" mr2 for 7K...

Kanoodle
01-11-2010, 08:19 AM
I really don't think you can find one with 500hp for 7k unless its beat up which I have yet to see. If you want a average looking mr2 close to stock with signs of wear you can find a MKII turbo for 2k up to 6k easily. for a clean one that runs well your looking around 8k unless someone needs it gone. and from 8k on up to 14 for the ones that are well taken care of to ones one close to princess's lvl. N/A's are a much different story. That is some what of a guideline. some people get a hair up in the thing they sit on and ask tooooo much but the cost of these cars haven't risen from last year.

vip09
01-11-2010, 08:40 AM
MR2s are not cheap.. especially if you want a 93+ that isn't all beat up.

burnyd
01-11-2010, 05:40 PM
like 1-2 years ago your average 91-92 turbo was 5k at average for a decent car.. But I do see what ricky is saying there going for unreal prices!

looking at the price of things now I would much rather just purchase a NA car or a shell and swap a 3rd gen in it... thats most likely what I would do. Plus, you cant trust most of the turbo cars previous owners... have of them are beat the hell out of.

Luni
01-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Ill give you an example Ricky.

Buddy of mine just bought a 91 SMG car. - pretty clean body/paint (paint is faded in places like all 20 year old cars that havent been repainted are) Gen3 swap, 264 high lift cams. Berk exhaust. Berk downpipe. Berk intercooler. 93 crossmember. 93 brake upgrade. Tein SS coilovers with pillowball mounts. ST sway bars. Really clean interior. 94 tails. etc etc. Nice car. I test drove it for him (hes in afghanistan)

He got it for 12k. For THAT car, it is a good deal. You couldnt build that MR2 for less than that. The parts list adds up quick.

Youre not finding a "clean" ANYTHING over relatively stock condition for the 6-7k price. You might find mildly modded one for that, and there are people who sell their projects and eat it bad (Borinals MR2 sold for 5k - his engine and turbo kit was worth more than 5k alone), but whatever.

Thats not the status quo. Status quo, is a clean 91-92 turbo thats in GOOD condition is worth 5-6k on average, and a 93 turbo will be 7-8 and a 94/95 is more like 9-10

Then when you start modding them out is where it becomes anyones guess what theyre worth - theyre worth exactly as much as someones willing to pay.

Ricksta
01-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Ill give you an example Ricky.

Buddy of mine just bought a 91 SMG car. - pretty clean body/paint (paint is faded in places like all 20 year old cars that havent been repainted are) Gen3 swap, 264 high lift cams. Berk exhaust. Berk downpipe. Berk intercooler. 93 crossmember. 93 brake upgrade. Tein SS coilovers with pillowball mounts. ST sway bars. Really clean interior. 94 tails. etc etc. Nice car. I test drove it for him (hes in afghanistan)

He got it for 12k. For THAT car, it is a good deal. You couldnt build that MR2 for less than that. The parts list adds up quick.

Youre not finding a "clean" ANYTHING over relatively stock condition for the 6-7k price. You might find mildly modded one for that, and there are people who sell their projects and eat it bad (Borinals MR2 sold for 5k - his engine and turbo kit was worth more than 5k alone), but whatever.

Thats not the status quo. Status quo, is a clean 91-92 turbo thats in GOOD condition is worth 5-6k on average, and a 93 turbo will be 7-8 and a 94/95 is more like 9-10

Then when you start modding them out is where it becomes anyones guess what theyre worth - theyre worth exactly as much as someones willing to pay.

eh, i do love these cars but jesus the amount of money to mod them is unreal. when i do a project again, when times are better...im definately building a big block muscle car. soooooooooo much cheaper to build and easier to get the power. i can put my fist inside one of these cylinders and still have PLENTY of room move around lol.

Freshnicity
01-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Ive seen CLEAN 93+ Turbos go for around 9k easy, and have seen them priced as high as 13k. But a lot of the MR2s I see on craigslist/on the street are beat up, not well taken care of and all around scrapers now.

There was a dude on mr2oc that sold his 89 SC T-top for something crazy was like over 15k, low miles all original and clean enough to eat off of.

I did find a mint 88 Celica All Trac on craigslist the other day for $2000 and it was sold before i could even call :(

Luni
01-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Dude, you dont build a fucking MR2 for "power" you build it to be a fun car.

That Gen3 SMG car with the cams would tear the shit out of most anything youd encounter on the street, and it WOULD tear the shit out of most anything youd put it against in a canyon run as well.

If all you want is raw hp and dick for handling, then yeah, get your muscle car.

I get so irritated when people try and build MR2s for just speed or HP numbers.

Get yourself a DSM if you wanna go fast for cheap. Get an old fox body mustang.

At least the DSM handles worth a shit tho.

Ricksta
01-11-2010, 09:07 PM

tell that to this dood...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkR4lq47jc8&NR=1

i was def going for the numbers when i was building mine

Luni
01-11-2010, 09:17 PM
I didnt say you CANT, I just said its retarded to do.

Mr2s dont get past the 9s in the quarter easily. And to build one that does 9s will cost you a fortune. And its not an MR2 when you get done with it, its a dragstrip dyno queen.

Nothing wrong with a 400 hp car. Nothing wrong with a 350hp car, or even done right a 500hp car, but just having a car with 500 hp to say you have 500 hp is retarded.

You got small penard syndrome or something?

The other night I drove a 300 wheel HP MR2 (that SMG Im talking about) and that thing roxored my mother fucking soxors!)

Ricksta
01-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I didnt say you CANT, I just said its retarded to do.

Mr2s dont get past the 9s in the quarter easily. And to build one that does 9s will cost you a fortune. And its not an MR2 when you get done with it, its a dragstrip dyno queen.

Nothing wrong with a 400 hp car. Nothing wrong with a 350hp car, or even done right a 500hp car, but just having a car with 500 hp to say you have 500 hp is retarded.

You got small penard syndrome or something?

The other night I drove a 300 wheel HP MR2 (that SMG Im talking about) and that thing roxored my mother fucking soxors!)

im sure it did. but holy hell it takes a wad just to get there...

Luni
01-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Im in my MR2 more than 12k easy.

Hell, just repairing shit thats gone wrong has put me beyond that.

12k for a 300WHP car with relatively stock toyota reliability, and a full suspension on it is a pretty good deal if you think about it.

I dunno. Id have paid 12k for that car easily. I did the math in my head, I know what all the parts cost and you couldnt reproduce it for any cheaper.

KM
01-11-2010, 11:00 PM
There are only a couple of MR2s in my area. Most people who are going RWD are in 240s and Miatas.

klapa
01-16-2010, 03:32 AM
eh, i do love these cars but jesus the amount of money to mod them is unreal. when i do a project again, when times are better...im definately building a big block muscle car. soooooooooo much cheaper to build and easier to get the power. i can put my fist inside one of these cylinders and still have PLENTY of room move around lol.

And you can put your HOUSE inside the gas tank.

Not to mention the lack of aerodynamics and handling. Muscle cars are great - so long as you are going in a straight line.

goretro77
01-16-2010, 01:46 PM
The Toyota MR2 is a platform designed around handling, not power.
It does not show its best in straight line only races. It can do well but you won't be the fastest in straight lines. Personally its more satisfying to catch 'em in the turns.

Hookecho
01-16-2010, 03:27 PM
i looked at a red 2nd gen at the parts yard several weeks ago. it had no motor or trans. the interior pieces had been taken apart but were all piled up inside the car. the paint was faded but the body was in good shape. the owner told me i could have it for $500.

he also has a gold 1st gen in fair condition with t-tops that runs. it had 2 flat tires. he is asking $1500.

Cavanagh
01-16-2010, 07:50 PM

That Gen3 SMG car with the cams would tear the shit out of most anything youd encounter on the street, and it WOULD tear the shit out of most anything youd put it against in a canyon run as well.

If all you want is raw hp and dick for handling, then yeah, get your muscle car.

I get so irritated when people try and build MR2s for just speed or HP numbers.

Get yourself a DSM if you wanna go fast for cheap. Get an old fox body mustang.

At least the DSM handles worth a shit tho.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: