PDA

View Full Version : seat covers -what do you like?

sbeec
01-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Lot of opinions here i'm sure....
It's time to get a pair of seat covers for my GT... front buckets only.

I've had the sheepskin before but I'm leaning towards Wet Okoles due to their durability and able to take abuse.
Key points i'm looking for are quality and fit - they gotta fit good - don't want buldges and loose fabric.

So - what do you like and why?

Rich

Murgatroy
01-09-2010, 05:12 PM
I was always fond of the zebra print skeepskin.

Hookecho
01-09-2010, 06:28 PM
i have a friend who has a set of wet okoles in his ford explorer. i can say that they do look good and the fitment is very tight. you really can't tell they are slip covers at all. the only bad thing is that if you have magazine pockets on the back of the seats then they will be covered by the seat cover.

sbeec
01-10-2010, 03:03 AM
i have a friend who has a set of wet okoles in his ford explorer. i can say that they do look good and the fitment is very tight. you really can't tell they are slip covers at all. the only bad thing is that if you have magazine pockets on the back of the seats then they will be covered by the seat cover.

thanks for the reply on what you thought of the okoles.... nice to get a first hand opinion from viewing.....

Hookecho
01-10-2010, 05:04 AM
i think you'll like them. they are comfortable to sit on too.

celica91gts
01-10-2010, 10:21 AM
reupholster ftw. either that or swap in gts/all-trac seats

PittsburghCeli
01-10-2010, 03:22 PM
I don't like seat covers in the Celica because they add a little height to the seat and I am tall so it cuts down on my room. I love the sheepskin. I plan on doing something like sheepskin for elbow pads. The plastic elbow rests give me elbow pimples sometimes.

I would like to make a full custom leather interior at some point, but maybe new racing seats might be a good start so they would not have to be customized.

My XR4Ti (http://home.comcast.net/~jasonbuterbaugh/pwpimages/DSCF0710.JPG) needs tires, a battery and all the paperwork to be legal and then I will finally get a chance to put the Celi down and work on it for a while.

hotrodhendrix1
01-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Doesnt that company still sell the leather replacments on ebay?? Maybe for an alltrac though.. Cheap but you have to do the hog rings yourself.

The Captain
01-10-2010, 04:04 PM
reupholster ftw. either that or swap in gts/all-trac seats
Couldn't agree more. Leather seats for $500. $100 more for heated bun warmers. No brainer.

vip09
01-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Couldn't agree more. Leather seats for $500. $100 more for heated bun warmers. No brainer.

Link? I want leather in my MR2 pretty bad.

METDeath
01-10-2010, 06:55 PM
GTS/All-trac seats for the win, plus you can get a power lumbar/side bolster driver's seat fi you look around enough, just make sure to grab the wiring and switch, then you just need to hook up the power and a ground.

The Captain
01-10-2010, 07:47 PM
http://stores.ebay.com/realleather1

Amaymi
01-11-2010, 01:12 AM
I bought a set of those for my eclipse. Very good fitment and pretty decent quality leather. I can't comment on the installation, I just had a local upholstery shop put them on. Remember you can have them customized mostly for free. I had them perforate the middle inserts of the tops and bottoms of the seat and us different colored stitching for free.

klapa
01-15-2010, 11:42 PM
http://stores.ebay.com/realleather1

One of the main things I want to change in my recently acquired 91 GT is a new headliner and seat covers.

I was looking at this "store" and wondered - do I need the seat covers for a 91 ST185 or a 91 GT Celica convertible or what?

I also need to get a new headliner and visor covers and think it would be best to plan all this interior change at the same time and have the upholstery shop do it - as I am a klutz when it comes to interior stuff.

The Captain
01-16-2010, 12:22 AM
You need celica convertible front seats and ST185 rear seats. They'll make a custom kit for you.

METDeath
01-16-2010, 01:42 AM
You need celica convertible front seats and ST185 rear seats. They'll make a custom kit for you.

Or if you take my advice and find some GTS seats, you can just order the All-trac set. Which I'm eyeballing this set for when I get the motor/trans done on the coupe and have something else to daily drive.

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-16-2010, 01:48 AM
I have a harness and control switch thus far on my quest for lumbar'ed GT-S seats. The driver seat that I do have access to is wine, and I need grey.

klapa
01-16-2010, 05:44 AM
Or if you take my advice and find some GTS seats, you can just order the All-trac set. Which I'm eyeballing this set for when I get the motor/trans done on the coupe and have something else to daily drive.

Well - the interior work will be the first thing I do to my GT - and it will be a significant piece of change - so I want to entertain all the possibilities.

What's so much better about GTS seats? Are they easy enough to find? Obviously - if I'm planning on new covers from a shop the state of the existing covers would not be important.

Incidentally - I lived and worked in Kennesaw for a few years.

METDeath
01-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Wow, you actually managed to leave Kennesaw? Craaaazy...

GTS seats have better side bolsters, feels more like a sports car. Plus the power seat has an adjustable lumbar and side bolster, for that perfect fit. If you come to the Dragon meet I'm sure one of us with power seats will let you test drive the seat. I certainly would.

klapa
01-16-2010, 06:49 AM
Wow, you actually managed to leave Kennesaw? Craaaazy...

GTS seats have better side bolsters, feels more like a sports car. Plus the power seat has an adjustable lumbar and side bolster, for that perfect fit. If you come to the Dragon meet I'm sure one of us with power seats will let you test drive the seat. I certainly would.

OK - I think I get it - the GT-S seats have better lateral support - sort of like the old "Recaro" seats everybody bought in days gone by. My GT has manual lumbar supports - I found that out when driving it back home from Chicago at the end of the year - but does not have the "racing" style seats with tight lateral supports, and the seats are all manual.

I'll be there for that dragon run - probably in my GT cause I might need my wife to do some driving and she can't handle a five speed.

Still - right now I'll just be happy to have that 16 hour plane ride behind me tomorrow and be back home where I belong.

Yea - I really liked my time in Kennesaw - I worked for a company there called "MOVATS". I lived in and around the Atlanta area for maybe 25 years and Kennesaw was one of the favorite places I lived - but there is allot more opportunity for an electronics guy here in RTP, NC. and I feel like I died and went to heaven since I moved here to Cary, NC.

METDeath
01-16-2010, 06:58 AM
The seat "height" adjustment is still there on the GTS seats (circled), but the power lumbar will actually cause it to press against your lower back more or less. I know the arrows don't show the direction very well for the lumbar, but this should give you an idea.

klapa
01-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Well - that's enough to make me hold off a little and look around before I actually commit to doing my interior.

Maybe I can find some of those seats from some old dogged out car for a good price and use them instead of what I have before I get the interior work done.

METDeath
01-16-2010, 01:17 PM
It's worth it, I ended up finding some non power GTS seats and scooped them up since there were in very good condition... found power ones a week later

Still bought the power ones though. I'd start scrounging your local junk yards or people parting out the cars. Oh, and you can use the All-trac seats as well, you just have to change the rails out on those. Where as the GTS are bolt in.