PDA

View Full Version : Hard gas pedal?

DLB
04-02-2005, 05:01 AM
Ok guys I own an 89 GTS, I bought it over the winter. I didn't drive it much because it had a bad heater core. But now that it has been getting warmer I have been driving it. And yesterday I noticed that the gas pedal is really hard to push down. I sprayed some WD40 on the part of throttle that connects to the throttle body but it didn't help at all. I'm not sure what it could be. Any ideas?

Dr.Auto
04-02-2005, 06:35 AM
You need to define if the pedal is hard to operate in any or all position, or if it just sticks coming off idle when the throttle plate is first cracked open. If it is the later then you need to clean out your throttle body of the carbon deposits which change the clearance between the throttle body bore and the plate itself. Making the plate stick in the bore and causing resistance untill it's cracked open.
If it's just all the time then I would reccommend disconnecting the throttle cable from the throttle body and determine if it's throttle body related or if it is indeed throttle cable related.

Or for a really easy fix just wire the throttle plate WOT and call it good. Makes for very fun spirited driving in all conditions and fixes your problem. I would reccommend ungrading your brake system after this special modifacation however. But that's just my opinion :laugh: