PDA

View Full Version : http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/

sodap0p
01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Ordered a door jamb switch from these guys http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/ on December 11th, it was $14.64 plus $20 to ship.

I emailed them a few days ago and their response was;" It must have been held up by the Holiday season" and provided the tracking number again.

The tracking number they provided from USPS says to this day,"The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on December 15, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later. "

I got it yesterday, January 5th, and the packaging was totally destroyed. I havent even looked inside yet, I wanted to take a picture of it to post here, I will when I get home.

4thgenceli
01-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Don't see how that's 1st Toyota's fault.

You're first complaint with the USPS 'tracking' number is in no way their fault. USPS doesn't offer 'Tracking' numbers, but rather delivery confirmation numbers. Their tracking works by if it's scanned, it's reported. Sometimes it can go from shipper - receiver without even 1 scan. Sometimes you get lucky and it'll be scanned everytime it changes hands, other times you won't.

Your second complaint re: beat up packaging is again not 1st toyota's fault. Take it up with USPS.

I only see 1 semi-legit issue, and that's with the shipping delay. But again, you ordered it 10 days before Christmas, plus you're in Canada. In my opinion, that's quick to have something shipped internationally through USPS.

Hookecho
01-06-2010, 06:48 PM
it was probably one of the packages being carried by 1 of 3 of the usps trucks that crashed and scattered packages all over the road. i heard that story on the news a couple weeks ago. of course it could be something all together different.

RedRkt01
01-06-2010, 06:49 PM

RedRkt01
01-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Don't see how that's 1st Toyota's fault.

You're first complaint with the USPS 'tracking' number is in no way their fault. USPS doesn't offer 'Tracking' numbers, but rather delivery confirmation numbers. Their tracking works by if it's scanned, it's reported. Sometimes it can go from shipper - receiver without even 1 scan. Sometimes you get lucky and it'll be scanned everytime it changes hands, other times you won't.

Your second complaint re: beat up packaging is again not 1st toyota's fault. Take it up with USPS.

I only see 1 semi-legit issue, and that's with the shipping delay. But again, you ordered it 10 days before Christmas, plus you're in Canada. In my opinion, that's quick to have something shipped internationally through USPS.

^Absolutely agreed.

sodap0p
01-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Take it how you want, I wasnt pleased and I didnt trash talk anything.

I simply posted my experience with purchasing from http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/
including who they choose to deliver.(This was not an option)

4thgenceli
01-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Take it how you want, I wasnt pleased and I didnt trash talk anything.

I simply posted my experience with purchasing from http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/
including who they choose to deliver.(This was not an option)
I see this of more of an issue with the shipping company, as opposed to the shipper (1stToyo).

I've purchased parts from dealers nationwide & overseas, all used USPS. Why? I don't know. It's prolly because USPS makes daily stops at the dealerships, and UPS/FEDex you have to schedule pickups or be on a daily drop/pick route, and USPS is generally cheaper than UPS and other carriers for international shipments.

My .02.

joe's gt
01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
most likely not 1sttoyotaparts fault. period. Get angry at USPS, it most likely has nothing to do with 1sttoyo. Your displeasure is directed toward the wrong party.

RedRkt01
01-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Anyway you cut it the concept of feedback is related to a particular vendor; Not how a vendor ships. Regardless of what happened with the shipment the vendor in this case performed on their end of the bargain. As long as the vendor is using a proven, conventional shipping method that is widely accepted I can't fault 1sttoyotaparts.

If I bought from HKS in Japan and they shipped my parts overseas on a FedEx DC-10 and it crashed in the south pacific, marooning a lone survivor, should I be miffed with HKS? No! They shipped me the parts as they had promised using a method that is accepted by everyone. No one could've forseen the interruption in delivery.

All I'm saying is that 1sttoyotaparts doesn't have the forsight of God. When it goes out their door they have no reason to think there is going to be a problem.

Now if only some hot broad would deliver my late HKS parts after her rescue.

P.S. The USPS is a worldclass parcel organization that is no worse than any of the elite state run postal organizations. Say what you want about private enterprise, but as far as government mail goes USPS is at the top of the list.

GT4SOM
01-06-2010, 08:18 PM
I never really had a problem with them. I can see how they can over charge you for shipping if you order something small. That's why I usually wait till I need a few things before I order from then, it cuts down on shipping cost because they only charge you a percentage instead of a flat fee.

sodap0p
01-06-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm not angry as some of you assume. I was simply posting my experience as the post suggests(and it was not good(hence the thumbs down)). I never got angry at anyone, when I contacted 1sttoy, I never said anything bad about them in my email or in the post. I am sharing my experience, you all seem to be making your own conclusions of their service and blaming USPS.

I have not posted blame, I have not called out any company on their actions or in-action.

Based on everyone's reactions to my post I wont post to this section again.

Luni
01-06-2010, 09:30 PM
I really think you did misdirect your frustration.

I think if anything, 1sttoyotaparts should give option to ship UPS or FedEX instead of USPS, but whatever.

But the package condition and the shipping delay are definately the cause of the shipper.

HOWEVER GUYS, if you do business with a company, and you are given a timeframe, and youve already given them your money, your job is over. If the company selects sub par shipping, it IS their fault. Technically, anything that happens between that package being shipped by the company, to it getting to your door is the fault of the company who took your money. He didnt give USPS money to do a job for him, he gave 1sttoyotaparts money to do a job for him.

I understand where hes coming from, and I also get where you guys are coming from, but it truly is his perogative to post this in this fashion. He gave money to 1sttoyotaparts for a product, and he recieved his product in a late and damage state. In a way, it really is their fault. They should have picked a more reliable carrier.

Get what Im saying?

Sang
01-06-2010, 09:45 PM
I don't see where the complaint is during this transaction. Are you upset because you think they took too long? You ordered it on Friday, and they processed it and shipped it out within 2 business days. The product got to you in 3 weeks via international shipping and that includes two major holidays in between.

Or are you upset that the package looked beat to crap? If so, since you haven't even opened the package to inspect if there is even any damage, you still can't blame 1sttoyota since i'm sure they'd make it right if you called them to tell them you received a damaged product.

Welcome to the world of ordering parts online.

sodap0p
01-06-2010, 10:17 PM
I don't see where the complaint is during this transaction. Are you upset because you think they took too long? You ordered it on Friday, and they processed it and shipped it out within 2 business days. The product got to you in 3 weeks via international shipping and that includes two major holidays in between.

Or are you upset that the package looked beat to crap? If so, since you haven't even opened the package to inspect if there is even any damage, you still can't blame 1sttoyota since i'm sure they'd make it right if you called them to tell them you received a damaged product.

Welcome to the world of ordering parts online.

I'll say it for the last time... I am not mad or upset, or pissed... people would know when I am pissed and this is not it.

I have ordered numerous parts online over many years (including a $3000 turbo kit for my Suzuki from AUS), I have never had something come this late. I have ordered many times from the US and other countries, I have never had my package come completely torn apart before.

Take this information how you want, I dont care.

Sang
01-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Thumbs down means bad. Things don't go badly for no reason. Your title, and your words are contradictions at best.

RedRkt01
01-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Perhaps I read too far into it. There is definitely a negative connotation to the text.

ChrisD
01-06-2010, 10:49 PM
For delays with 1sttoyota, I have found it best to place my order and then call them directly and speak with someone. If they have it in stock, they can get it shipped right away for you, but if they have to order it in, it will be a bit. I don't believe they notify you either way, so your best bet is to call.

A while back I had to get a rush order in with them and called and had them ship by air mail to have the part to me within the week. I agreed to the charges and they were more than happy to get it to me quickly.

So that's my experience. :)

Futant3
01-06-2010, 11:13 PM
I think the assumption that's being made is that if you have negative feedback about a situation it's because something occured that you aren't happy with. People are just using many different words to describe the dissatisfaction, unhappinesss...whatever you want to call it.

The end result here does suck, both shipping company and the website can take some responsibility for it. My beef would have been with the cost of shipping, for that fee they could have used a better shipping option.

RedRkt01
01-06-2010, 11:16 PM
If anyone can get the skinny on how they operate it would be Joey. Perhaps he can set things straight???

Hookecho
01-06-2010, 11:31 PM
i think you guys are making a big deal out of a straight forward post. i understood that he paid $20 for shipping, his package took to long to arrive, and then when he got his part the package was damaged. if i pay $20 to ship a small part then i want to get it in a timely manner. i ordered a bunch of stuff online on the 15th of December and had all of it before Christmas. of course i do understand he is in canada. there's no excuse for his package to have arrived in that condition. no matter who's fault it is he deserves an explanation.

Soda, you had every right to make this post. this is something other people may want to know. that is what this sub-forum is for.

Hookecho
01-06-2010, 11:36 PM
if his post had contained a bunch of omg wtf!!!!.......ftl and such then one could have taken it differently.

RedRkt01
01-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Meh

sodap0p
01-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Thanks ChrisD for posting your experience with them also, very constructive, and thanks for the tip. They still have some items I want, I just don't need them right away.

I needed the door jamb switch so the car starter I installed functions correctly. Being manual transmission the car starter requires me to leave the vehicle running then shut it down outside with the remote for what they call "ready mode".( I guess its there way of ensuring the parking brake is on and in 'N' )

sodap0p
01-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Soda, you had every right to make this post. this is something other people may want to know. that is what this sub-forum is for.

That's what I thought man...It doesn't seem so. I am keeping my future experiences to myself.

sodap0p
01-07-2010, 12:52 AM
wow...its completely destroyed.

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s327/Dragoinflies/DSC00571.jpg

klapa
01-07-2010, 02:53 AM
I dunno - if I look at all of this I see some "truth" in all the viewpoints here - but I tend to side with SodaOp and align against RedRkt -

I order parts all the time for my projects - as an example ~$80k worth of parts - both large and small - for this last project ordered with quoted (written or verbal) lead times in an eight week time frame.

I have BRUTAL experience both with slow order takers and slack shipping companies and I will say - first off - that while USPS might be the best GOVERNMENT shipping company in the world they SUCK when it comes to ANY sort of tracking information (they have NONE) - and they SUCK when it comes to owning up to their own "guaranteed" and advertised delivery times - and they SUCK at any "hint" of true customer service. The only recourse you have when they fail to deliver are layers and layers of bureaucracy designed to deter even the most resolute.

I simply will not do business with anyone that does not offer options other than the USPS for the above reasons - because my time lines are short - and the stakes are high. Many times these vendors have some crack-head or illiterates in their shipping departments and use USPS simply to "indemnify" their own lack of a "system".

UPS is OK - yet in my experience they will lose about 1% of the shipments and bash to smitherines another 10% of them.

If you want real service - at a decent price - FEDEX is the only way to go for North America and Mexico - and DHL for anywhere else.

FEDEX generally will come very close to USPS prices for the same delivery times yet will provide real up-to-the-minute tracking information.

klapa
01-07-2010, 03:23 AM
The bottom line being that with USPS - you have no idea at all when the package was ACTUALLY shipped - and that is why some "fly-by-night" companies with little or no actual staff or who are selling things they actually do not have in stock insist on using ONLY USPS - the lack of a trail of accountability.

Also - with regards to this particular situation - who knows how well the item was packaged to begin with? With FEDEX - you always have at least $100 insurance.

With USPS?

sodap0p
01-08-2010, 12:00 AM
As an update:

They contacted me today and told me they would refund the item, and cost to ship it back to them. They need the item probably so they can make a claim against USPS. They said I would have to pay the customs. I am unsure what they mean by this, I hope they mean GST. 7% I can live with that.

Anyways, I guess they are stand up guys after all is said and done. I am out some money, lots of time(which is way more valuable at my age), and a switch. None of which was really 1sttoy's fault.

I must still say that this is a negative experience purchasing from 1sttoy. While it wasn't their fault, I admit that. My money was entrusted to them to get me a switch for my car. This did not happen.

I will be more cautious buying online and trying to find it locally first, and paying a few extra bucks...I guess that's what I get for trying to save $10 to $15...I thought the more money I save, the more stuff I can fix on my car...stupid me.

Galcobar
01-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Customs means tariffs. Not taxes. Taxes are taxes -- and the GST hasn't been 7% since 2006.

As for the tariff charges, make sure to note on the package it's a warranty return. Not being a sale there should be no charge. If Border Services does apply a customs charge you can apply to have it reversed on all but the original purchase.

Your thought process on saving money wasn't flawed. You had a bad shipping experience. It'll happen, just like buying a part locally which turns out to be bad happens. The difference, of course, is the time factor.

However, given 1sttoyota is one of the only U.S. companies I know which does not charge extra for shipping to Canada. I received my parts in good order -- and it says something when a company bubble-wraps individual bolts.

sodap0p
01-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Thanks for clarifying the duty Galcobar. And you'd think I'd know the GST rate being an accountant and all ;)

They must have used up all the bubble wrap on your bolts, none was provided in my package. It had a box 20 times ( I like to over-exaggerate ) the size it needed to be in with no protection.

VikingJZ
01-08-2010, 06:32 AM
You should also know that most of the time the carrier or delivery guy doesn't care about the package.

When I parted out my 72 Celica, I oiled the HELL out of the dash pad. It was in PRISTINE condition when I bubbled wrapped it a million times and put it in a cushoined box. It was overprotected. However, when it got to the guy who bought it, the box was fucked up, ripped, and the dash pad was chipped up and nearly destroyed. The guy who bought it from me said his friend works for a shipping company (wouldn't tell me which one) and that the friend said the drivers don't care about the packages usually, as its the companies responsibility to handle damaged goods.

Keep that in mind when buying things online. Additionally, 1st does a good job with stuff. Its nice they did so much for your return. Lots of companies make you pay shipping back to them.

KoreanJoey
01-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Um... wow. That package is fubar. Anyways... I didn't read everything because... well... I don't care. I don't work for 1sttoyotaparts. I do work @ the same dealership (but in service). I'll show this to them.

As to USPS. I think that they will allow an option IF it's within the US. The reason for NOT allowing it to Canada and the UK is that USPS is allowed to immediately clear customs, FedEx and UPS are not (at least that's something I picked up in conversation). If it had been sent FedEx or UPS you might not have even seen a package for another month or more (I've heard some horror stories of packages being stuck @ the border for extended periods of time).

I'd say along with the time it took to be delivered the time which it was shipped (really close to christmas) is probably part of the explanation to the damage as packages were probably CRAMMED in order to try and get everything out (by USPS).

If nothing else, call them and tell them what happened and what they believe the best course of action is. I'll also direct the parts manager to this thread in the morning.

EDIT: Found it's already been resolved... Sorry about your issues but honestly... What could THEY have done different (going with the information above).

KoreanJoey
01-08-2010, 07:22 AM
I received my parts in good order -- and it says something when a company bubble-wraps individual bolts.

Yeah, it's pretty funny to watch. You should see them constructing boxes out of whatever cardboard they find around (which is A LOT) to fit big items (bumpers, fenders, ETC).

T-spoon
01-09-2010, 06:45 PM
If anyone things Fedex and UPS are competitive price-wise with USPS for international shipping, they are not in touch with reality. USPS is MUCH less expensive. The difference is likely less for Canada since it's on the same continent, but as Joey says, you'll run into other fees etc. using them over USPS. Also, the USPS does not have people working outside of the US. Once the package goes into another country, it is actually delivered by that country's parcel service. How the package is treated at that point not only has nothing to do with the company that shipped it, it doesn't even have anything to do with the USPS. Or do we think the USPS actually drives their white trucks to Moscow?

Anyway, I dealt with a lot of angry customers since I handled our online sales at Champion, and some of the issues were just really fubar. For large items even UPS freight hands off to regional delivery drivers in the US. I fought with UPS freight and one of the smaller delivery companies for months because they broke an FJ cruiser roof rack. What a mess...

Anyway.. yeah, having things shipped is a bit of a gamble, mostly with your time. Shippers will usually try to make good, but it will still cost you time in back-and-forth.

Terracar
01-13-2010, 03:25 PM
The OP shouldn't tarnish 1sttoyota, it had nothing to do with them with regards to the damaged package. The delay - maybe, but sorry you're in Canada adds quite a bit of delay in my experience. ( I was at one time a shipping coordinator) As for the cost of shipping - 1sttoyota has a minimum of $9.95 last time I was there, plus it is to Canada, while I do agree perhaps it is a bit on the high side.

Now this is to OP and others that claim 1sttoyota should take some responsibility for the damaged package/delay.

Turn the tables - You ship a part/product you sold to a member/complete stranger. You package it and ship it with a major carrier (USPS/DHL/Fedex/Etc) and there is a 3 week delay to go across the country and severe damage to the package.

Are you to tell me you are going to take responsibility for the delay and/or the damage? Are you going to provide an explanation to your customer besides I don't know what happened? Are you going to issue a refund?

It seems to me that people need to take responsibility. You bought the part knowing it needed to be shipped, knowing that there may be delays, knowing that there may be a chance of damage to the package/product.

IMO stop crying and suck it up. YOU took the chance.

-Terracar

sodap0p
01-13-2010, 05:01 PM
IMO stop crying and suck it up. YOU took the chance.

-Terracar

IMO you are an idiot.

Thank you come again.

Terracar
01-15-2010, 11:16 PM
IMO you are an idiot.

Thank you come again.

/golfclap

pot calling the kettle black

:thefinger

-Terracar

Galcobar
01-16-2010, 03:42 AM
If anyone things Fedex and UPS are competitive price-wise with USPS for international shipping, they are not in touch with reality. USPS is MUCH less expensive. The difference is likely less for Canada since it's on the same continent,

Sadly, the border makes a ridiculous amount of difference. A couriered package from anywhere in the U.S. to Blaine, WA is inevitably far less expensive than one actually shipped into Canada.

Put it this way, I arranged to have my items for my suspension rebuild delivered to a friend's house in Oak Harbour, better than two hours driving time each way. The price difference was worth the drive and the gas.

Might be explained by the odd path the packages can take. Had one item shipped to me which crossed the border three times (WA-BC, BC-WA, WA-BC) before it got to me. Those three border crossings took three days. As far as I can tell, it could have been the same border crossing which it was routed through each time.

acidice333
01-16-2010, 06:24 AM
Canada<>USA mail is so slow when using the post office... I had a package of car parts shipped from the UK and it only took 5 days! ..and it wasn't with no Fedex or anything special either.

I bought 3 things that day and 1 was from the UK and the other two were stateside and the state side stuff came like on the 3rd damn week :(

klapa
01-16-2010, 07:28 AM
All,

I don't know anything about 1stToyotaParts - but I have ALLOT of experience with both international and domestic shipping - (if I do say so myself ;))

USPS is THE PITS! They have no accountability - no tracking information - and if you send something by "Express Mail" and it does not get there in the "guaranteed" time - your only recourse is to have the recipient send you the receipt and then use that to make your claim!

I disaagree with the comment that FEDEX is much more expensive than USPS - they are not - and also will futher say that if you are shipping ANYTHING to ANYWHERE other than the "west" - DHL is the way to go.

Either way - USPS is the LAST way to go - and I will stand on what I said earlier - because USPS does not have explicit tracking info as to when the package was actually shipped - you have no way of knowing when the order was actually shipped. This is why ALL the "one-horse" shops on eBay ONLY use USPS - because there is NO accountability trail for their order processing and shipment time.

T-spoon
01-23-2010, 03:45 AM
All,

I don't know anything about 1stToyotaParts - but I have ALLOT of experience with both international and domestic shipping - (if I do say so myself ;))

USPS is THE PITS! They have no accountability - no tracking information - and if you send something by "Express Mail" and it does not get there in the "guaranteed" time - your only recourse is to have the recipient send you the receipt and then use that to make your claim!

I disaagree with the comment that FEDEX is much more expensive than USPS - they are not - and also will futher say that if you are shipping ANYTHING to ANYWHERE other than the "west" - DHL is the way to go.

Either way - USPS is the LAST way to go - and I will stand on what I said earlier - because USPS does not have explicit tracking info as to when the package was actually shipped - you have no way of knowing when the order was actually shipped. This is why ALL the "one-horse" shops on eBay ONLY use USPS - because there is NO accountability trail for their order processing and shipment time.

Why do people insist on mis-information? I don't know what to tell you. I shipped Toyota parts orders (both tiny and huge) all over the country and world for 2 years. USPS is in fact cheaper for most packages - both domestic and international. Yes, there is no tracking, and occasionally something will be lost, but usually AFTER it has been handed over to the destination postal service, which the USPS can't possibly be held accountable for. People don't ship USPS to be shady as you are suggesting, they do it because often it is the most economical option to work with. I'm not sure where your anecdotal evidence/expertise comes from, because numbers are numbers, they aren't interested in opinion, and neither should a thread talking about the service of a vendor.

klapa
01-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Why do people insist on mis-information? I don't know what to tell you. I shipped Toyota parts orders (both tiny and huge) all over the country and world for 2 years. USPS is in fact cheaper for most packages - both domestic and international. Yes, there is no tracking, and occasionally something will be lost, but usually AFTER it has been handed over to the destination postal service, which the USPS can't possibly be held accountable for. People don't ship USPS to be shady as you are suggesting, they do it because often it is the most economical option to work with. I'm not sure where your anecdotal evidence/expertise comes from, because numbers are numbers, they aren't interested in opinion, and neither should a thread talking about the service of a vendor.

Here I think it is established that the vendor did everything they could to get the right parts there - and n no way was I saying otherwise.

In fact it is appropriate to talk about shipping here as that is indeed what made this order "go wrong".

I did not "suggest" that everyone who ships USPS is "shady" - only commented that in fact those that are maybe a little shady - those whom represent parts assumed to be in stock but actually only are acting as a "middle man" and having the parts drop-shipped from where they actually reside - ALL seem to use USPS as the ONLY available shipping alternative because they can rely on the lack of accountability (i.e. NO tracking info) to hide the fact that they don't actually stock the parts and are in fact mis-representing themselves.

Further it might be pointed out that regardless of WHEN the parts were shipped by the vendor - it is the vendor's responsibility to provide the proper pro-forma commercial invoice for the customs. If that paperwork is not properly done it can turn any shipment into a nightmare by clogging it in customs. In my own experience - the Canadian's are "nit pickers" when it comes to customs - the only people I can think of that are worse than the Canadian's in customs would be P.R. China.

Which brings us to my own experience - I have shipped literally hundreds of packages to Canada, as my company division was bought by a Canadian company and I was the designated shipper for the engineering department as well as being an engineer myself. Here I was responsible for the pro-forma invoices, determining the harmonized (Schedule B) export codes, and finally getting the stuff out the door. I just got finished the end of last year handling a shipment of two automated test systems we made to a factory in Shanghais P.R. China with a commercial value > USD $250k.

On the receiving side - I am also usually the one who orders all the parts and instrumentation we need for our projects and must track all this to be sure we are meeting our (usually very tight) delivery deadline to our own customer. Here USPS is completely useless due to their lack of any tracking information at all - and just try to file a damage claim with them if you need to!

I have handled many shipments, both large and small, between NC and Canada, Mexico, Spain, Ireland, Turkey, Thailand, and P.R. China.

The bottom line here is - yes - USPS is more "cost effective" in many cases - but the difference, especially for North American shipments, between them and FEDEX ground isn't usually that much - yet the difference in the level of service and tracking information can be huge.

When you see some company that has USPS as the ONLY available shipper - watch out! Normally such vendors will also have a statement something like "Orders processed within X days..." - never "Orders shipped within X days...".

That's a red flag for me.

KoreanJoey
01-26-2010, 04:19 AM
*shrug*

Not my part of the dealership.