PDA

View Full Version : Broken 90gt

richs90gt
01-01-2010, 05:15 PM
I'd just bought a 90 celica gt when she mysteriously died on my way to work to make a long story short it was the timing belt which was stripped out on the bottom 12 inches or so. I stumbled upon this web site through another Celica site and have found everything you could want for a celica here! great site!!!!! I bought the car from some dude in the hood for 500 bones. It has its cancer but for a northern car its not bad. If you live where they put salt down you know what I mean. I've been successful on removing the timing belt, engine mount, oil pan and valve cover. The timing belt went on with out fuss and I'm leaving the timing belt covers off for the time being due to the unknown timing. The car has so far run me an extra 100 dollars or so for oil, filters ect. ect. So hopefully that is it for now it's my first Celica and enjoyed the 58 miles i got out of it! Great site guys I'm now on here constantly. Many pics to come tonight.

richs90gt
01-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Uploaed pictures.

4thgenceli
01-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Question, I'm not familar with the 5s, but I have striped a 3sfe,3sge, and gen4 3sgte.

Why did you remove the oil pan? On the engines above, the oil pan was not necessary to do a timing belt.

As far as your timing goes, I have some pics in my project thread and in the FI forum on how I timed my gen4 3sgte.

There should be divots & marks on the cam gears, similar to this here.

http://ourlewisfamily.net/content/g1/Celibaby/normal_DSCN2120.JPG

You have the timing plate there that the timing cover bolts to, similar to this.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/6/3/timingmarks_179602.jpg

Line all those up like in the picture there, and then on the crank gear, look for something like the divots on the cam gears. Best way to do this would be stick a long screwdriver in #1, and then crank until it gets to TDC. There should be a mark somewhere on the gear that aligns to a mark on the block that indicates TDC (similar to this picture, but again this is on a gen4 3sgte).

http://ourlewisfamily.net/content/g1/Celibaby/normal_DSCN2132.JPG

richs90gt
01-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Na I removed the pan due to the crappy gasket needing to be replaced.

4thgenceli
01-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Na I removed the pan due to the crappy gasket needing to be replaced.
Ah, that's what I figured.

Have fun with FIPG, it's a fucking mess to use.

CriScO
01-01-2010, 10:11 PM
I stumbled upon this web site through another Celica site and have found everything you could want for a celica here! great site!!!!!
Glad to hear it, that is our goal. :)

Welcome aboard.

richs90gt
01-04-2010, 08:28 PM
The engine is screwed!!!!!! Screwed so I got on craigs list and found a 97 celica with the same motor at a good price am I gonna have any issues slapping that 97 motor in my 90?

4thgenceli
01-04-2010, 08:40 PM
The engine is screwed!!!!!! Screwed so I got on craigs list and found a 97 celica with the same motor at a good price am I gonna have any issues slapping that 97 motor in my 90?
If it's the same motor no. Shouldn't have any issue if it's the 5sfe motor.

BabyBear
01-04-2010, 08:46 PM
I think the 90 is a rev1 5s and the 97 is a rev2 5s. I remember reading it wasn't too bad to switch between the two, but I can't say for sure. There are a few people on this site that know a bunch about that stuff.

Shadowlife25
01-04-2010, 10:00 PM
It will switch over as long as it's a 5S.

To keep from the old one:

IM
Dizzy
Plug wires
Cap & rotor
TB

Pretty much it.
If you have any issues, (or before you do) you can PM and I will give you a call.

- Mario

richs90gt
01-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Sweet deal!! I might just do that thanks!!!!!!!

richs90gt
01-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Well I finally got the engine, engine hoist and a full tank of propane. Looks like its gonna be an all nighter. Good thing I'm not working!!!! This should be intresting!!! Hopefully Chicago radio stations will be good tonight I don't think I can listen to my mp3 player anymore.