PDA

View Full Version : Rotating a set of FM-901 Sports

Punisher
04-01-2005, 05:29 PM
I have FM-901 Sport tires on my 90 celica.. with 7th Gen rims.. I was putting some tire-wall wax on them today (shit looks awesome first time I ever did it)

Anyway.. I noticed that on the tire walls there are arrows and it says ROTATION and points to the direction the tire should rotate when in drive.. Well, if I rotate the tires as usualy, front left to rear right.. the tire rotation will be fucked up then.. So um.. anyone have any idea's on this? I can't go from left front to left back.. that wouldn't make sense.. would it?

Galcobar
04-01-2005, 07:12 PM
You just end up going front to back, in pairs. So rear right to front right, front right to rear right. This is where having four identical tires is useful. For people with different front and rear, they'd actually have to remount the tires on the opposite rims if they're using unidirectional tires.

Punisher
04-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Ya well they are 4 identical tires they aren't unidirectional though.. so I guess the only way to rotate them with out having them remounted on the rims is to go front right to rear right.. although I always thought the proper way was to go front right to rear left.. as long as I won't have any issues with thread wear then I'll just do it up front right to rear right seeing it's the only way i can do it with out remounting the tires

Galcobar
04-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Unidirectional means they can only run in one direction, and therefore cannot be moved with the wheel to the other side of the car. Asymmetrical tires mean they can be switched from one side to the other, but must be correctly mounted on the wheel so the outer edge of the tread pattern is facing away from the car.

Unidirectional tread pattern.
>>> >>>
-----------> direction of travel
>>> >>>

Switching them with the wheels would produce:
<<< <<<
<<< <<<

Assymetical
___ ___
-- --
-- --
___ ___
As long as they are correctly mounted, it doesn't matter how you rearrange them. They should not be remounted to move from right to left, whereas unidirectional tires must be remounted. However, most asymmetical tires these days also seem to be unidirectional, meaning you can only rotate them front to back.

Dr.Auto
04-02-2005, 06:45 AM
I totally agree. Without having to remount the tires your stuck rotating front to rear keeping them on the same sides of the car. What you mention about cross rotating is correct in that that it is the most desired way to rotate tires however you can only do that with Assymetical tires, not dirrectional. So you just have to use the next best rotation method. Oh well, the price you have to pay for better traction, you just can't focus on getting 75k miles out of them with out getiing a tire of lesser quality traction (harder compound) and cross rotate every 5k miles.

Just think what those poor MR2 spider owners have to put up with! Dirrectional tires with differant tire and rim sizes front to rear! Yeah, no rotates on those!

Punisher
04-02-2005, 06:48 AM
Yea.. any type of larger rear tire setup for RWD must suck the wallet lol