PDA

View Full Version : How much does camber change when lowering?

88GT2GTS
12-31-2009, 05:09 AM
I was wandering if anyone knew how much the camber changed when lowering a 4th, 5th or 6th gen (since the front suspensions on these 3 are very close)? Perhaps if someone lowered their car and had the alignment specs showing what the camber angle was before and after lowering the car.

I am thinking about lowering my car a little, maybe 1", so I pulled a spring off one side, reconnected the strut and used a jack to move the control arm through the range of compression the car should have when driving. I have a angle gauge with a magnetic base I attached to the rotor and didn't see a change in the camber angle until the shock was almost compressed all the way. I also have a 9" bubble level with a magnet on 1 edge I put on the rotor and did see the bubble move at all. I thought there would be some change but was surprised to see none or almost none.

Jim
'88 Celica 3.0 V6

KoreanJoey
12-31-2009, 05:50 AM
McPherson strut suspension = fail @ negative camber gain.

88GT2GTS
12-31-2009, 03:38 PM
McPherson strut suspension = fail @ negative camber gain.

I agree, MacPherson strut is a cheap pos design; however it's what we have to live with. I was surprised to see no negative camber lose either.

RedRkt01
12-31-2009, 05:14 PM
I think I lost about a degree after lowering the 89 only one inch.

You def need camber bolts to guard against it if you want to keep it all straight. You can buy those from me ;). I know, I'm a whore.

METDeath
12-31-2009, 06:50 PM
Honestly, just having a different strut in there can change camber, I had KYB struts with an 1.5" drop, and had something like -1.5 degrees of camber, put in some housings that I got from a junkyard to put Koni struts in, camber changed to -2.0 or higher, so I got some camber bolts.

88GT2GTS
12-31-2009, 10:57 PM
So far I think Joe is the only person to understand my question.

I'm not asking how I can gain negative camber, I'm curious if anyone knows how much camber is lost or gained by compressing the suspension (to put it a different way) or lowering the car.

KoreanJoey
01-01-2010, 02:06 AM
With some of the sportier suspension designs, as the suspension compresses that corner increases negative camber, it allows you to run lower static camber with softer spring rates and still have grip while cornering.

The McPherson strut Celicas are NOT one of those cars. You run lots of static neg camber and stiff suspension in order to fight the lean of the car/tire.