PDA

View Full Version : Turbo rattled itself loose....

Luni
12-01-2004, 05:26 AM
wact as hell but my exhaust being unbolted must have caused my turbo to rattle itself loose... theres only 1 bolt now holding it to the manifold.

I found out about it when I rebolted my exhaust and started it and it still glugged... Revved it and it was now coming from above... looked and I could see the gasket between the turbo and manifold just kinda blowin betwen there.

20 dollars for the bolts to hold the sucker on from toyota.

Thats ok tho cause i thought the turbo was dead.

I also have a TDO5 big 16G project to slap on that sumbitch.

Better turbo than a CT20b hehe. Yum.

Blackcloud
12-01-2004, 05:29 AM
at least its not broken

Luni
12-01-2004, 06:12 AM
Yeah, for now Im stuck driving a 99 BMW M3 convertible around..

HAHA.

We will find out tomorrow if the thing boosts after I replace those bolts.

Blackcloud
12-01-2004, 06:18 AM
you love jeremys M3.

dont bitch bish :D

mikeswickednick
12-01-2004, 06:30 AM
what are u gonna do with that ct20b :wink: i could be interested. and also having really bad vibrations going to your turbo, could that affect compressor wheel and shaft play?

-Mike

Luni
12-01-2004, 06:34 AM
what are u gonna do with that ct20b :wink: i could be interested. and also having really bad vibrations going to your turbo, could that affect compressor wheel and shaft play?

-Mike
I dont have a CT20b. I have a 16G TDO5 but I was saying that its a better turbo than a 20b.

yeah Im sure if its messed enough to rattle bolts loose then its messed enough to screw the turbo pretty good.

My car has 173k miles on it.

Stock turbo.

The thing is just overdue to die really.

Borinal
12-01-2004, 06:56 AM
I confess Luni... I was humping your tailpipe one night (Because your car is SO F'in SEXY!) and I heard two metalic noises. I didn't realize that it was anything important that I had shaken loose until you told me about your turbo problems. Man... I am so sorry. I just wish I had told you sooner. :eek:

Sean
12-01-2004, 07:53 AM
Thats really not good Luni, there probably going to rattle themselves loose again, invest in some Loctite!

This might also be a good time to just buy some new exhaust studs and replace the ones that fell out.

Luni
12-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Sean I did.

I ordered it from Toyota.

The reason why they rattled was cause the exhaust was unbolted from the downpipe to the bpipe and it was rattling more then normal.

I dont wanna locktite them cause in the spring they are coming off again, this is just to limp it through winter till I can do my 16G project.

Trance4c
12-01-2004, 10:35 PM
Rattle itself loose?? wtf.. dude, that doesn't happen unless the bolts weren't tight enough to begin with. Thats pretty messed up honestly, didn't you just have a guy in there do some work on your head? If so, was the turbo removed then? Just curious, could be kinda crappy workmanship.. but I'm just shooting in the dark here.

Mike431635
12-01-2004, 10:40 PM
WEEE Clayton is here! :)

Sean
12-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Downpipe bolts are also notorius for working themselves loose over time.

Just keep checking them and torquing them down! You would think that the heat created by the exhaust sytem would play a role in the bolts working themselves loose. Would the heat expand, or shrink exhaust bolts that were close enough to be effected?

T-spoon
12-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Downpipe bolts are also notorius for working themselves loose over time.

Just keep checking them and torquing them down! You would think that the heat created by the exhaust sytem would play a role in the bolts working themselves loose. Would the heat expand, or shrink exhaust bolts that were close enough to be effected?

Mine did that on the 93 after I put the 60-1 on. However, in that case, lots of other bolts came loose too, amazing what the impact of getting rear-ended will do to things you wouldn't think were related. :o

Luni
12-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Rattle itself loose?? wtf.. dude, that doesn't happen unless the bolts weren't tight enough to begin with. Thats pretty messed up honestly, didn't you just have a guy in there do some work on your head? If so, was the turbo removed then? Just curious, could be kinda crappy workmanship.. but I'm just shooting in the dark here.

He didnt remove the turbo from the manifold, just undid the manifold from the head.. The turbo never left the engine compartment.

Definately wasnt his fault. It happens. Its all good, the bolts should be home for me and it should boost again when I put them in.

GT4SOM
12-02-2004, 12:42 AM
Actually clayton I think the same thing happened to that guy at the meet with the red alltrac. He told me that only 2 bolts were missing I think from the turbo. Kinda strange, he says toyota rebuilt that 3s up in ohio.

gt_turbo
12-02-2004, 12:59 AM
i dunno but make sure torque is to spec this time around

Trance4c
12-02-2004, 01:44 AM
Well.. I'll tell ya, I've had the problem on my downpipe off my turbo.. but its because all the bolts weren't torqued to spec. Since, I've always made sure all my bolts are torqued to spec to make sure there is no difference in hold all the way around. But once I took care of that, I've never had that problem. Thats the only reason why I asked luni.. strange to have bolts work off that have been on the car for so many years.

Sean
12-02-2004, 07:38 AM
Put some nail polish on those bolts, they wont rattle loose again, (no joke!)!

Luni
12-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Turbo is back on correctly.

It doesnt boost correctly, I know the turbo is dying but I get like 7 psi or so.

for some reason I think it will get better too.