PDA

View Full Version : Wierd thing happened yesterday with engine temp

Nitro_Alltrac
12-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I had a really wierd thing happen yesterday with the engine temperature. I was on the interstate running about 80 (the car was fully warm and had been running for at least half an hour) when I noticed that the heater was blowing cool. I looked down at the temp gauge and it was almost sitting on cold (it normally runs about a quarter of the way up from "C" once it's warmed up.) I kind of started to panic thinking that I had lost all the coolant and there wasn't anything going over the temperature sensor to register on the gauge.

I quickly got off the interstate and while sitting at a stop light the gauge started to come back up to normal and the heater started working. I stopped and let the car cool down and checked the coolant. It was fine, just where it was supposed to be. The car ran fine the rest of the day and no more issues like that. It was in the mid to upper 20's yesterday but I've run the car like that before in much colder temps without this happening. I've been driving for over 27 years and never had anything like that happen before. Any ideas? Things seem fine now. I'm thinking maybe something to do with the thermostat.

grayscale
12-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Sounds like the t-stat stuck open. If you ever drive a car in the winter with no t-stat you will get the same result. I've had your problem occur once or twice in the past. Easy fix:bigthumbu

Murgatroy
12-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Thermostat failed. Most thermostats are set to stick open when they fail.

CriScO
12-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Methinks the thermo failed a while ago if the needle only gets a quarter of the way up.

Shadowlife25
12-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Good news is, it only takes 5 minutes to change out. :)

4thgenceli
12-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Good news is, it only takes 5 minutes to change out. :)
FUCK goddamn it Mario.. you just reminded me of something.

:beats head on desk:

Shadowlife25
12-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Damn it Mario.. you just reminded me of something.

:beats head on desk:

Lol, you forget that little tidbit in the rush to completion there big fella? :hehe:

Seriously though, it is a quick and easy change. :)

4thgenceli
12-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Lol, you forget that little tidbit in the rush to completion there big fella? :hehe:

Seriously though, it is a quick and easy change. :)
FUCK yes I did (I think).

Trying to think here.. but I think in my slightly pissed off state of transmission discovery yesterday that when I bolted on the water neck by the t-belt, I forgot to throw the t-stat in. I think.. I don't know :madfawk:

Shadowlife25
12-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Only takes a bit to see.

Better yet, if you got a new thermostat, is the box empty or is it still there?

4thgenceli
12-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Only takes a bit to see.

Better yet, if you got a new thermostat, is the box empty or is it still there?
I don't know... (cuz I'm not home lol).

extremeskillz
12-30-2009, 08:40 PM
^Lmao...how do you forget the T-Stat?

4thgenceli
12-30-2009, 08:40 PM
^Lmao...how do you forget the T-Stat?
upset, working on shit, distracted.

About to pay someone to come out & help lol.

Shadowlife25
12-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Be sure to check when you are. :)

I'm sure you probably did it.

4thgenceli
12-30-2009, 08:43 PM
I think we can end the :jacked:

extremeskillz
12-30-2009, 08:48 PM
upset, working on shit, distracted.

About to pay someone to come out & help lol.

Hmmm....You know i would if i had the time off!

Nitro_Alltrac
12-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the input guys. That's what I was thinking. It worked OK today but I'm going to have to get a new one and change it. I haven't changed it since I've had the car and I from what I know the engine has about 80,000 or so on it.

Now to just get a good weather day to do it. I really hate not having a garage!

Shadowlife25
12-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Tim, clean the damn thread if you want to.... :( Really though, remove any posts that arent about the topic.